First Annual Mojave Mile Event

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
I sure hope the weatherman is wrong, as it is showing 40% rain on Saturday....

I need our experts here to clarify this for me, a technical dummy, regarding altitude effects and supercharged engine (forced-air). someone said here that at 2700 ft above sea level will have a negative effect on our GTs performance, which make sense to me. However, I came across this at Wikicars.org (which says the supercharger compresses the air "back to the sea-level"....). Now, me don't know :confused:confused

Ed

When the turbo or supercharger is limited to a manifold pressure of about 15 psi (sea level), it is called normalizing. It makes the engine run the same as it would at sea level until the charger can no longer supply that amount boost. This technique requires a relief valve to maintain a constant manifold pressure. Our supercharges don't work that way. They will produce a volume of air that is proportional to the RPM of the engine, thereby maintaining a somewhat constant manifold pressure at wide open throttle, independent of engine speed. But at altitude this means you will have reduced torque as less air is being pushed into the engine. You will lose approximately 3% for every 1000 feet in altitude. It is not a linear relationship so it is only approximate at lower altitudes (less than 10,000). So at 2700 feet you will be down about 8% in hp and torque.

Have fun!

Craig

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You will lose approximately 3% for every 1000 feet in altitude. It is not a linear relationship so it is only approximate at lower altitudes (less than 10,000). So at 2700 feet you will be down about 8% in hp and torque.

Have fun!

Craig

Yep, and I have plans to mitigate most of that. :biggrin

Also the event plans to run the course uphill at a gradient of about 1% that will also reduce the speeds. On the positive side the thin air is easier for the cars to push through.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Ah heck, I'm just gonna push the pedal to the aluminum and see how fast she goes......

Richard Hille
The GT School

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Ah heck, I'm just gonna push the pedal to the aluminum and see how fast she goes......

Richard Hille
The GT School

+1 Should have nice cool temps, particularly in the a.m. That should help the cause. :thumbsup

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
high octane gas

Does anyone know where in/around Mojave can I get some higher than 91 octane gas?

thx

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Does anyone know where in/around Mojave can I get some higher than 91 octane gas?

thx

Ed

If you are coming in on the 58 there is a GT friendly Chevron at the last exit in Tehachipi. Can't remember the name of the exit, but I will be stopping there for a fill. It is about 20-25 miles before Mojave.

I am sure there are spots closer to the airport, but I don't venture off the 58 when I am going out there much......until Saturday that is. :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
If you are coming in on the 58 there is a GT friendly Chevron at the last exit in Tehachipi. Can't remember the name of the exit, but I will be stopping there for a fill. It is about 20-25 miles before Mojave.

I am sure there are spots closer to the airport, but I don't venture off the 58 when I am going out there much......until Saturday that is. :cheers

What kind of gas/octane do they sell there?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006

Do you know they have higher than 91 octane gas? If so, that would be great because I'm stay at the Holiday Inn on Friday night in Tehachapi.

Thx

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Chevron's highest is 91. I don't know if anyone has higher. If you need/want higher I would bet Mike Borders would know if any local gas stations have the better stuff.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
By the way....my error GTED, I read your post too quick and thought you were looking for 91 octane. Hopefully my driving will be better than my reading on Saturday. :lol

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
By the way....my error GTED, I read your post too quick and thought you were looking for 91 octane. Hopefully my driving will be better than my reading on Saturday. :lol

No worries... The excitement of Saturday has clouded all our vision....:wink

Are we all rain or shine going to be at the event? Dang, still showing 40% rain!!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
No worries... The excitement of Saturday has clouded all our vision....:wink

Are we all rain or shine going to be at the event? Dang, still showing 40% rain!!

Ed

I am hoping for the best. Note that a rain forecast only means that measurable rain will fail sometime within the 24hr day. When and how much isn't forecasted as of yet. When a strong rains are expected the forecast usually includes an estimate of inches of rain.

When I looked into the gas I only found a racetrack Buttonwillow Raceway Park off of I5 that has race gas.

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
There is race gas at Buttonwillow and also at the 76 gas station in Agoura. I filled a few cans there.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I am hoping for the best. Note that a rain forecast only means that measurable rain will fail sometime within the 24hr day. When and how much isn't forecasted as of yet. When a strong rains are expected the forecast usually includes an estimate of inches of rain.

When I looked into the gas I only found a racetrack Buttonwillow Raceway Park off of I5 that has race gas.

Race gas is available at Willow Springs which is about 15 miles south of Mojave off of hiway 14, Rosamond off ramp.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Race gas is available at Willow Springs which is about 15 miles south of Mojave off of hiway 14, Rosamond off ramp.

What's the name of the station? thx

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
i'm running Bridgestone. For the Mile run, any recommendation for tire pressure psi, cold? thx

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
What's the name of the station? thx

I think he means the actual track.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Hope I'm wrong but here's the most recent forecast I see for Mojave, CA:

Saturday
Rain and snow likely. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Highs 46 to 56.

Ate you guys seeing this?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
:ack
I see thunderstorms... I hope it passes through either before or after.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
For those of us already signed up and rec'd the package (rule book and med forms), does anyone know do we still have go to this Mariah Inn for registration on either Friday or Saturday, or do we just go straight to the airport to pick up the wrist band and meal tix.......?

I called MKM, but I think we are shut down to prepare for the event.

Ed