Fire suppression group buy

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Alright, I'm starting a new thread so nobody will miss this. If you are interested in the fire suppression system that Fyr-ftr-GT found for us(search "Ford GT fire system") we can get a discount with a group commitment. I talked to Don Warren at Safecraft today and here's the deal.

An individual order is $550 to American buyers. Canadian systems are slightly higher due to a different chemical being used in Canada.

If we can get just 4 guys to commit to buy he will discount each system to $479. I would think that would be easy to do since he has already taken 6 orders from individuals at full pop (you guys got in too big a hurry!)

If we can get 10 orders or more, he will discount even further but he has to look into it and call me back tomorrow with a firm price.

I'll find out the price and post it tomorrow along with how we can coordinate this as a group buy. I'm hoping to be able to make it simple like just calling Don direct and telling him you want in on the GT Forum Group Buy. I'll talk to him about giving us a week to accumulate all the orders to get us the best price.

Now we need to get Kendall to give us a similar group deal on transaxle coolers since the two kind of go hand in hand...no pressure there Kendall!

So decide whether you want a fire suppression system and then hold your order until we work out the details. If we all order together we can get a pretty good deal. Don seemed like a nice guy who was willing to work with us.

FYI, Don said he was using 360 degree heads on this system but if you wanted something different he could oblige. The tests he has done so far haven't shown an under hood temp above 200 degrees so 360 should be safe from premature ejacu....uhh, discharge.

UPDATE: The 10 plus price will be about $465 plus freight. It has to go Haz-Mat shipping but can go air or ground.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm in, I need an install in Indy or at the Rally.
I also ordered Sim's designed halon 2.5 bottle.
Nothing is more scary than a fire, nothing.
Thanks for leading the way.:thumbsup

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Count me in too!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
See, with me, a PM I just got and you two we are already at 4 orders. Lets get 50 and see what kind of deal we can get!!!!

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
count me in, will the 5lbs bottle fit? Would that screw up the group buy if I bought a slightly larger bottle and paid the difference?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Texas, you da man! Put me down, too!:thumbsup

Bony's right - NUTHUN' scarier than a fire.

And nuthun' will make you sicker than watchin' your car burn to the ground.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
count me in, will the 5lbs bottle fit? Would that screw up the group buy if I bought a slightly larger bottle and paid the difference?

I don't see why. He would pobably just charge extra for the changes but you'll have to ask him when you order.

Make sure a larger bottle will fit!!

Aug 25, 2006
I have spoken with several folks about the system after looking at the installed system here. It is very nice however I too have a couple requests.

I would want the lines that reside on top of the rails to be hard stainless steel line rather than braided flex lines, I would want to be able to initiate the turning on of the system from within the cab, and I would want to know if the (as presented) 2.5lb bottle is truly large enough for the area to be protected particulalry when she is being driven with the air flowing through the engine bay.

Keep me posted; I am in I simply have these personal tweaks and questions.

Thank you

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm in. Thanks Frank

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
Count me in....... I am a Canuck though so I would need the "Northern Juice" in my extinguisher.

thanks....Rob

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have spoken with several folks about the system after looking at the installed system here. It is very nice however I too have a couple requests.

I would want the lines that reside on top of the rails to be hard stainless steel line rather than braided flex lines, I would want to be able to initiate the turning on of the system from within the cab, and I would want to know if the (as presented) 2.5lb bottle is truly large enough for the area to be protected particulalry when she is being driven with the air flowing through the engine bay.

Keep me posted; I am in I simply have these personal tweaks and questions.

Thank you

Shadowman

I think these changes would put you outside the scope of this group buy. I'm sure Safecraft could engineer a new system for you that met your requirements but it would probably increase the price and greatly delay delivery.

What attracted me to this system was the peace of mind it provides and the simplicity of the install. If it got any more expensive or complicated to install, I'd have to pass.

I would suggest that you contact Don directly and discuss you requests with him. Once your new system is ready perhaps we could do another group buy on it.:thumbsup

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I think these changes would put you outside the scope of this group buy. I'm sure Safecraft could engineer a new system for you that met your requirements but it would probably increase the price and greatly delay delivery.

What attracted me to this system was the peace of mind it provides and the simplicity of the install. If it got any more expensive or complicated to install, I'd have to pass.

I would suggest that you contact Don directly and discuss you requests with him. Once your new system is ready perhaps we could do another group buy on it.:thumbsup

Texas GT,
Good idea on keeping the group buy simple.
For your information here are my thoughts on coming up with a fire suppression system for my GT.

After 30 years in the fire service, serving on a truck and engine company, and responding to hundreds of vehicle fires, I came to a few conclusions on how auto fires start and what is the best way to protect your investment. Most 90-95%) car fires start after you stop your car, get out, and walk away. By the time someone has noticed that there is smoke coming from your engine compartment, it is too hot to get the engine compartment cover opened. Even if you have a hand held extinguisher, you can't get the propellant on the fire, because you can't get the lid open.

My idea was to use a Halon system, (no mess if it goes off), that is attached to a sensor, that would automatically go off if a high temperature is detected. My requirements to Safecraft also included no restructuring of the car, aesthetically pleasing, and of a sufficient size to do the job, and most important, no upkeep. Don Warren of Safecraft, who has designed most of the NASCAR fire systems, used these requirements to come up with what I have on my GT. The 3 lb bottle with take care of 150 cubic feet of space.

If my car was a racecar, the system would be altogether different. Safecraft sells race fire systems in most catalogs, including Summit Racing for this application. Remember, a racecar only has to be protected during use. Our cars want to be protected during use and when we are sipping our favorite concoctions in a steakhouse.

Happy motoring,
Gary Tryhorn

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Texas GT,
Good idea on keeping the group buy simple.
For your information here are my thoughts on coming up with a fire suppression system for my GT.

After 30 years in the fire service, serving on a truck and engine company, and responding to hundreds of vehicle fires, I came to a few conclusions on how auto fires start and what is the best way to protect your investment. Most 90-95%) car fires start after you stop your car, get out, and walk away. By the time someone has noticed that there is smoke coming from your engine compartment, it is too hot to get the engine compartment cover opened. Even if you have a hand held extinguisher, you can't get the propellant on the fire, because you can't get the lid open.

My idea was to use a Halon system, (no mess if it goes off), that is attached to a sensor, that would automatically go off if a high temperature is detected. My requirements to Safecraft also included no restructuring of the car, aesthetically pleasing, and of a sufficient size to do the job, and most important, no upkeep. Don Warren of Safecraft, who has designed most of the NASCAR fire systems, used these requirements to come up with what I have on my GT. The 3 lb bottle with take care of 150 cubic feet of space.

If my car was a racecar, the system would be altogether different. Safecraft sells race fire systems in most catalogs, including Summit Racing for this application. Remember, a racecar only has to be protected during use. Our cars want to be protected during use and when we are sipping our favorite concoctions in a steakhouse.

Happy motoring,
Gary Tryhorn

Thank you Gary, I agree with every word you wrote. I want a hand held unit to suplement the fixed system to help others in need.
Bony
son inlaw of Cleveland's oldest retired firefighter - Frank Lange

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thank you for designing this system Gary, I think it's simple enough to get us to buy it but effective enough to save our bacon in a bad situation. I certainly wouldn't want to be trying to raise that pain in the ass decklid when a fire was raging inside.

Can you say "toasted fingers"?

Now we just need more owners to step up and commit to buying a system so we can top 10. I think we're at 8.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hey Texas, do you know what the PSI of the system is suppose to be?

(Not that it's any big deal anyway. 'Just wondering.)

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I would like one please. I don't know what brand of trans cooler I have. Should the mounting be fairly universal?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would like one please. I don't know what brand of trans cooler I have. Should the mounting be fairly universal?

I'm told the 3 lb bottle will fit with both systems but a 5 lb bottle (which is overkill anyway) may not fit with the Ford cooler.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (like you wouldn't) but the Cooltech system uses flex lines and the Ford system used solid lines. There are other differences in the mounting position but I'll defer to the other members who are more familiar than me.

Kendall??

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hey Texas, do you know what the PSI of the system is suppose to be?

(Not that it's any big deal anyway. 'Just wondering.)

Don says the system is 200 psi. At that rate it will empty the 3 lb bottle in about 12 - 15 seconds. He says a fire should be out in about 2 seconds so there's a huge margin of safety. This is the same stuff used in 747 aircraft engines and the FAA only requires a 5 lb bottle for that. No residue, no mess to clean up, no drawbacks.

Aug 25, 2006

I am sorry folks as I was not meaning to create chaos or complicate the group buy as defined. I was simply stating that I am wiling to part with funds as well so as to hopefully move the process forward.

All the best

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Don says the system is 200 psi. At that rate it will empty the 3 lb bottle in about 12 - 15 seconds. He says a fire should be out in about 2 seconds so there's a huge margin of safety. This is the same stuff used in 747 aircraft engines and the FAA only requires a 5 lb bottle for that. No residue, no mess to clean up, no drawbacks.

Wurkz fer me! (But, I hope it never has to...:ack )