Finished Restoring an Elva MK7S

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
I finally finished restoring a 1964 Elva MK7S sport racer, it took almost a year. There aren't any shop manuals or exact specifications for the frame and suspension to follow, so at times I looked at old photos and books either
about the Elva or period racing. The car weighs 1100 lbs and is powered by a 200 hp Lotus Twin Cam. It has a Hewland transmission, and coil over shocks. I stripped 6 coats of yellow paint from the fiberglass body, and crack checked
every piece of frame rail, and suspension. Replaced any parts that were found stressed and repaired cracked welds. Built a seat with side bolsters, rewired the car and put in a fire system for Vintage racing. I set the suspension
where I thought it would work best. Boy was I off. I put the car on the track at Pitt Race Track during the PVGP and it was diabolical. First it would not turn in and I ran right off the end of the front straight. Then after some suspension
moves, the car oversteered off the track in the last turn. After each track session, I made adjustments that I thought would remedy the ill handling. Now after 3 track sessions, I have softened both sway bars, reduced rear springs from 325 to 275added more negative camber, softened shocks front and back and kept lowering tire pressure from a start at 21 psi, now I'm using 15 psi.

I believe that some members also Vintage race, (I think someone sold a Chevron), and would appreciate any suggestions. The car is handling pretty well now and the rest is for me to learn how to go fast with this car.Elvaresto1.jpgelvaresto2.jpgelvaresto3.jpgIMG_2454.jpgElva at NJ.JPG

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
that is a cool little race car! weighing in at only 1100 lbs and with 200 horsepower i bet that is alot of fun. i used to have a Suzuki Hayabusa powered sandrail that dyno'd 150 rwhp and weighed 850 lbs. have you corner weighted the car with you in it? that will help it handle alot better. keep in mind that the car is right hand drive and most tracks have left hand turns though...

Last edited:

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
Yes we corner weighted it before and then after suspension adjustments. The car has a 70/30 weight distribution that makes for interesting hard corners. Most of the turns on the road courses that we run are right hand turns. NJMP, Lime Rock, Beaver Run and even VIR. I'm finding that the car needs everything soft to perform. I guess cars from that era need body roll. Also low pressure sticky tires. That means that a new set is needed after every race weekend.