ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

It doesn't seem like that long ago when I first viewed, in the flesh, the new Shelby GT500. It was a prototype car on display at the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale. Ron Pratt bid $550,000 for the first production example. That little red/white stripe Mustang filled me with desire but I knew I was going to have to wait a while to get a below MSRP deal, just like I had to wait on my yellow GT. The 2007 model year went by with many dealers selling their entire allocation for $20,000 over MSRP. Good grief. The entire 2008 model year saw prices still hovering at $10,000 over MSRP. Only 3000 GT500s will be produced during the abbreviated 2009 model year. I kept waiting to see a reasonably good photograph of the revised sheet metal and interior on the 2010 GT500 as I might like it better. Well I've now seen photographs of both the interior and exterior of the soon-to-be released 2010 GT500. Perhaps many will like the 2010 better, but the retro looks of the current Shelby Mustang look better to me. With time running out to order a 2009, I slid in just under the wire. A no option, white/blue stripe/black interior was the car I had in mind. My buddy Jim Graham at Santa Margarita Ford came through with his next to last 2009 GT500, built to my specs, at $1000 below MSRP. The car arrived in Santa Margarita, California today. I'll fly over and pick it up sometime next week.

The Mustang GT500 is old news to many of our Ford GT Forum members. My business sucks, money is tight, and I need another Mustang about as much as I need a dose of the clap. Damn the torpedoes! Make room in my avatar for one more high performance Ford!! I think the current body style Mustang GT500 will be seen as a styling high point for decades to come, à la the 1969 Camaro. JMO

I'm not thin-skinned and I'd like to know what other GT Forum members think about the styling of the new GT500. Below are two photos of the white/blue stripe 2009 like the one I just bought, and photos of the new 2010 GT500 exterior and interior. Do you like the new one better, neutral, or not quite as much?

Chip

Attachments

• GT500.jpg
    GT500.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,025
  • GT500 2.jpg
    GT500 2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,091
  • GT500 7.jpg
    GT500 7.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • GT500 4.jpg
    GT500 4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 2010 interior.jpg
    2010 interior.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Looks like something you would go hunting for in Africa. How can you resist that paint job?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
congrats on your purchase, enjoy it.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I think you were right to go with the 2009.

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
I think I'll wait untill we see the finished product with performance details to give final judgement. I will say the new interior is a lot nicer.

Keith

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You can't really tell much from the camo'd 2010. I like the current GT500, but the new one is extremely hot. There's a significantly bigger difference between the 2010 GT and the 2010 GT500 than there is between the 2009 GT and the 2009 GT500.

The good news is that if you were going to wait, you should just wait until 2011 anyways.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Since I own 2 of the GT 500 current body style, I'd have to say I'm more partial to it. I'm not really thrilled with the 2010 hood or dash. Then again I was not really thrilled with the hood on the current model either. So I went with the Super Snake option on one of the cars. Now that hood I like!

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
There's a rumour that the 2010 Stang won't feature a V8 at all.

Surely that's got to be a mistake?:eek

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There's a rumour that the 2010 Stang won't feature a V8 at all.

Surely that's got to be a mistake?:eek

It is a mistake. 2010 has no changes.

R

roger1197

:cheers

Congrats. on the 2009, I think you made the better choice looking at the 2010 photos.
The current GT500 is a good street fighter but my Roush Stage 3, although slightly behind the GT500 in hp, I find to be a much more "sorted" car.

shakeysept010.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

:thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I am a member of the GT500 clan (grabber vert). It is a dull blunt instrument, but I enjoy it greatly, and I can bring both kids with me to go somewhere. I have not formulated a real opinion on th 10 model. Seems to keep many of the cues I like. Will have to see it "uncamoed". Likely I will still buy a 10- 11 -or 12 when just like you one comes up for sticker, to add to the "fleet" (I got mine back in feb, ordered to my spec at sticker).

Congrats on the ride, and have fun with the mods. I put SLP loudmouth's and the short shifter on the car at 15 miles on the "clock"

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have an '08 GT500 (Vapor). I like the looks of the exterior better on the '07-'09 but the '10 interior is nicer. Looks like it might have automatic climate control.

As prevously stated, the GT500 is a meat cleaver but man is it fun. In some ways it is more fun to drive than the GT since I'm not afraid to perform powerslides, burnouts, etc. with it (on a closed course only, naturally).

Dave-what can you share with us regarding the '11 model? I hear some interesting rumors regarding powerplants.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
I think you made the right choice. Like many here I am biased but that is irrelevant. In any case at least you have the car and if the 2010 really blows your skirt up you can get one and sell the 09'. If on the other hand you waited until the 10' was out to decide you did not like it you would have to scramble to find a 09' equiped the way you want. I further assume those here who own a GT500 are not letting it lanquish in stock form for too long. I highly recommend at least a stage 1 upgrade to wake up the beast that is inside every one of these cars. I have recently installed new rear wheels widened to 10.5" and M/T ET street DR's in 305/35/18. Good god almighty, traction at last. Full throttle blast in first without the tire smoke to slow you down. Granted, not a FGT but still way fun.......

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
I think you made the right choice. Like many here I am biased but that is irrelevant. In any case at least you have the car and if the 2010 really blows your skirt up you can get one and sell the 09'. If on the other hand you waited until the 10' was out to decide you did not like it you would have to scramble to find a 09' equiped the way you want. I further assume those here who own a GT500 are not letting it lanquish in stock form for too long. I highly recommend at least a stage 1 upgrade to wake up the beast that is inside every one of these cars. I have recently installed new rear wheels widened to 10.5" and M/T ET street DR's in 305/35/18. Good god almighty, traction at last. Full throttle blast in first without the tire smoke to slow you down. Granted, not a FGT but still way fun.......

I have a buddy that just picked up an 07 with 900 miles on it. He is getting the mod bug. What do you recommend?, even though it's heavy up front he will still do road course days with it about 6-8 per year. He asked me last night to get some recommendations for him on the following, seams like a good spot to slip this in.

Any one have a good method for mounting harness in these without a roll bar?

Track day tire sizes for stock rims?...does not appear to be an OEM exact size match.

Alignment specs?

Weak areas for this type of driving other than the obvious weight distribution,axle.

Best bang for the buck mods?.... What are we calling Stage 1.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have done no suspension mods yet, only an exhaust, and the FR short shift (which is a NO BRAINER)

For bang for the buck, a friend of mine did a wats link. He went with the fays set up. One of the main reasons he went with this is because the owner of the company spent a TON of time on the phone with him discussing it in advance. He was also very helpful after the installation. In return he he kept some notes of when he was dialing it in, and shot them to the owner that liked the comments enough to post them on his site. Note my friend was not compensated in any way for this
http://www.fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_24_.html

Also I traded e-mails this week that Alex (MR2race) and he is working on a street penske shock for the GT500, Shocks I think be one of the next things to do. The FR andling pack is nice as it is springs shocks in one kit....

I have a buddy that just picked up an 07 with 900 miles on it. He is getting the mod bug. What do you recommend?, even though it's heavy up front he will still do road course days with it about 6-8 per year. He asked me last night to get some recommendations for him on the following, seams like a good spot to slip this in.

Any one have a good method for mounting harness in these without a roll bar?

Track day tire sizes for stock rims?...does not appear to be an OEM exact size match.

Alignment specs?

Weak areas for this type of driving other than the obvious weight distribution,axle.

Best bang for the buck mods?.... What are we calling Stage 1.

H

HHGT

Chip, I think you made the right decision. I was thinking the same thing for a daily driver, but the wife said enough with the stripes already. She is bugging me to get a 4 door sedan that has no performance associated with it - she just found out I ordered a CTS-V. I told her we can go anywhere with my 4X4 Diesel and she is just not cooperating. I may have to bend and just buy a used Vulva.

Last edited:

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
+1 on the Fays2 watts link, very popular. At a minimum an adjustable panhard bar makes a big difference especially if the car is lowered as this seems to push the axle to one side. Check out BMR suspension parts. Stage 1 is CAI and tune. I have the JLT carbon fiber intake with the Evolution Performance tuned SCT XCAL 3. Most see right at 500 whp with this mod. Stage 2 includes the 2.6 upper pulley and idler. Most see 530-540 whp.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
[. I may have to bend and just buy a used Vulva.[/QUOTE]

Careful Sam. A red vulva generally isn't a good thing. Ask Dr. Frank.:willy

H

HHGT

[. I may have to bend and just buy a used Vulva.

Careful Sam. A red vulva generally isn't a good thing. Ask Dr. Frank.:willy[/QUOTE]

Fine, I'll just get a brand new one instead.:wink

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
GT 500 power slides VS GT power slides

[ In some ways it is more fun to drive than the GT since I'm not afraid to perform power slides, burnouts, etc. with it!!

THIS IS SINOVAC QUOTE::::::::::::::

WOW, I feel the same so far, I just got the GT in early Aug and the 500 has 3200 miles since Dec06. At this time I feel A LOT more comfortable doing burn outs with the 500 than the GT. I don't what to bang up the GT so I,am a little scared to get crazy doing a wheel spin donut!!
With the GT I have done some straight ahead tire spins BUT taking it sideways I feel I might need more pavement.
So when I get the 500 sideways it like a easy carnival ride--fun!!!
any tips if I decide to get the GT sideways????????/

The dead on straight ahead out of hole moon shot is amazing with the GT,
when I punch it ...it looks like the cars in my rear view mirror have frozen in place!! LOL I can't believe the power and force that is immediate.
This is no Shit..when I nail the peddle and leave the others on a different planet I feel GUILTY!!! Its not long after I feel I better get this rocket back home before the military comes for me. The other drivers have to be saying to the passengers in their vehicle...holy shit did you see that thing disappear! Hey I'll stop now because I,am getting to excited!!
Billy

Last edited: