FGT rescued

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

I'm surprised the car even ran after the pressure washing.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Unique and interesting, thanks for posting!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I assume, among other things, that the guy is a professional grade detailer. Some pretty interesting techniques.

Considering the shape and abuse of the car, I think it turned out fantastic, at least as far as you can tell from a video versus seeing in in the flesh.

Has anyone ever heard of or used "Ammo" products? Seems like everyone in the world makes "the best" car care products these days. I wonder how many are like batteries - same manufacturer and different labels?

I don't think powder coating works as well as paint in the "restoration" world. What ever happened with the effort to match the existing paint? Someone mentioned to me that if you had a scuffed wheel, you could repair it and paint it and the other wheel on on the same side with the closest paint match you could get, and it's unlikely that any normal person would notice the side-to-side difference. Of course you could paint all 4, depending how close you thought the paint match was. Or buy 1 or up to 4 one new wheels. ( I think Ford still sells them? ) Actually, just forget all this blather and don't scratch a wheel.

Anyone know if the car sold, and for how much?

The legend of Camillo lives on!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh my. Left outside? That's a sin. Someone should go to jail. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SYCO GT and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am guessing it will be, or has been on Cars and bids. Doug DeMuro's version of BaT.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I assume, among other things, that the guy is a professional grade detailer. Some pretty interesting techniques.

Considering the shape and abuse of the car, I think it turned out fantastic, at least as far as you can tell from a video versus seeing in in the flesh.

Has anyone ever heard of or used "Ammo" products? Seems like everyone in the world makes "the best" car care products these days. I wonder how many are like batteries - same manufacturer and different labels?

I don't think powder coating works as well as paint in the "restoration" world. What ever happened with the effort to match the existing paint? Someone mentioned to me that if you had a scuffed wheel, you could repair it and paint it and the other wheel on on the same side with the closest paint match you could get, and it's unlikely that any normal person would notice the side-to-side difference. Of course you could paint all 4, depending how close you thought the paint match was. Or buy 1 or up to 4 one new wheels. ( I think Ford still sells them? ) Actually, just forget all this blather and don't scratch a wheel.

The legend of Camillo lives on!
Yes, Larry is a well known detailer (2.2 million YouTube subscribers) and the Ammo products are his brand. I've known him for a long time--maybe 15 years. His products work well--I've used them--but as you point out there are a lot of high quality products out there. I think it's the videos and the "know how" that have really driven the brand, though they are very good.

Regarding wheels, a full re-powdercoating is the way to go. I've had a bunch of wheels refinished over time and generally have gone to ProFormance (who did the wheels in this video). They're really terrific--top notch. Definitely best not to scratch a wheel, but if/when you do, go for the full refinish.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
I was cringing when he put the belly pans on the asphalt to wash so they could get scratched to hell.He is a better narrator than detailer IMO.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I've got a ton of stuff to do this morning and blowing 30 minutes watching that video was not on the list. BUT I COULDN'T STOP WATCHING. I'm surprised that car could be resurrected so well without tearing it apart, replacing a lot more items, and doing a lot of paint work. There is certainly corrosion in a lot of places not visible but then my car probably has some too. I'm sure the next owner will take good care of it. Great story and video.

Chip

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Sold today reserve not met , high bid was 390k but apparently according to the comments high bidder & seller worked out a deal .

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I was cringing when he put the belly pans on the asphalt to wash so they could get scratched to hell.He is a better narrator than detailer IMO.
I noticed the same thing. I have used a towel on the ground.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Yes, Larry is a well known detailer (2.2 million YouTube subscribers) and the Ammo products are his brand. I've known him for a long time--maybe 15 years. His products work well--I've used them--but as you point out there are a lot of high quality products out there. I think it's the videos and the "know how" that have really driven the brand, though they are very good.

Regarding wheels, a full re-powdercoating is the way to go. I've had a bunch of wheels refinished over time and generally have gone to ProFormance (who did the wheels in this video). They're really terrific--top notch. Definitely best not to scratch a wheel, but if/when you do, go for the full refinish.
Question for you, would you be able to find out what the paint code ProFormance used to paint these? I want to repaint my black wheels, reached out to Larry (who responded immediately but did not know) and ProFormance who didn’t respond. I’m not in a position to ship the wheels off.

If you can that would be great, if not that is fine too.

Thanks

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I would just call Proformance and ask. Number is: (914) 654-1010. There aren't THAT many silvers, so I think it's just the lighter silver powder coat. But they'll be able to tell you.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The original silver is a very light sliver and very fine metallic grain--not sparkly in any way. You will probably have to accept whatever your powder coater offers that approaches those criteria. If you do all 4, no one will notice the difference unless you set those and originals side-by-side.

Reactions: 2112

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
One of the GTs I looked at had the optional wheels refinished and it was obvious. The color match to the center caps will stick right out, if it’s far off. The wheel color was a little dark, so I was factoring in a new set of wheels in my price. Ended up buying a different GT.

Last edited: