FGT at COTA

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I don't post here much these days but it thought it was worth letting you all know I was blessed to be able to thrash my GT at the Circuit of the Americas last Saturday. They had an individual track day and I must say it was likely the most fun I've had at any track in any car. Here's a pic (gotta figure out how to post a vid):

i-Vk36kq8-M.jpeg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What a thrill that must have been, Bigs!! Congratulations! Car looks superb! :thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Man I'd love to hit that track in my GT. I'm jealous!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
SO COOL. Having been to both F1 events there, would love to track the GT or the F car there!!!! Congrats. yes post video or link to it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was going to go to the Bondurant 2 day advanced class at COTA in October, but then the flood hit and other things changed to prevent that. I think they are planning to do it again next year.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Thanks guys, I did a write up for another forum that I can post if there is interest.

Yes twobjshelbys I saw that Bondurant school and was tempted as well, but they doubled their typical price for a 3 day school due to the venue (and it was for only 2 days as you stated). Also you have to drive their corvettes (good and bad). This day was less than 1/3 of what they wanted for the Bondurant school (one day versus 2); short orientation and no skid pad or auto cross; had the Bondurant track coordinator and the Bondurant instructors with all the safety and corner workers, instruction and analysis breakfast and lunch AND I got to drive my own FGT (huge difference). That being said if you can only do the Bondurant school there I would jump on it, but I was and am glad I had another option!

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys, I did a write up for another forum that I can post if there is interest.

Yes twobjshelbys I saw that Bondurant school and was tempted as well, but they doubled their typical price for a 3 day school due to the venue (and it was for only 2 days as you stated). Also you have to drive their corvettes (good and bad). This day was less than 1/3 of what they wanted for the Bondurant school (one day versus 2); short orientation and no skid pad or auto cross; had the Bondurant track coordinator and the Bondurant instructors with all the safety and corner workers, instruction and analysis breakfast and lunch AND I got to drive my own FGT (huge difference). That being said if you can only do the Bondurant school there I would jump on it, but I was and am glad I had another option!

In the normal advanced class you can drive your own car if the number in the class is small. In my case it was only me until the week before the class in which case the plan was to do one day with the Corvette (or Formula Mazda) and the other day with the GT. Unfortunately the weather changed and I chickened out on bringing the GT from Colorado to Arizona. Then the week of the class another guy signed up. So the two of us had the course to ourselved but it forced me to two days of Corvetter. Next time I'll ask for the Formula Mazda version.

Private cars were not allowed at COTA for two reasons. One they wanted to fill the classes, and two the instructors were still getting familiar with the track. They said that maybe next year they will allow other vehicles during part of the class. Even for the other class they don't recommend using your car the whole time since you'll go through a set of tires and brakes.

Last edited:

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I understand. I've been to several schools and *schools* (mostly private track rental racing) and one of the best things about this day was it was not a school. There were instructors available and I took one with me for a session and then he took me in his GT-R so you could get some help but weren't so restricted as a school. BTW this instructor was a great guy and from Austin and claimed he had logged many laps at COTA. After spending some time with him huge differences were seen.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Awesome BigsGT that you got to run your GT there - Last February Wwabbit, Topshot and myself did a 3 day track day at COTA and it was a great time !!

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Awesome BigsGT that you got to run your GT there - Last February Wwabbit, Topshot and myself did a 3 day track day at COTA and it was a great time !!

Hey, hey.......i was there too :)

Great track. Glad you enjoyed it!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

I was there also!!!!

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I hope MVP can work out the details and get on the track the end of January.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I fly down in Jan. to co drive!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Yes you were sorry but didnt mean to leave you and Bye Enzo out

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
You dog!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
You could have been there too Donny :)

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Don't forget Thugboat and Texas Mongrel were there!!!! Was one of the absolute best track times I have ever experienced. And watching Ben leave the 1/4 mile long trail of oil was priceless. hahaha

Watching the MVP website daily for any confirmation were going back.

Larry

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Thanks for the hijack! :thumbsup

I would have loved 3 days! My phone never rang?