Ferrari F430 Opinions?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am considering buying a Ferrari F430 Spyder F1. I know some of the members of this Forum either have owned this car or still own it. I put a deposit down at a Dealer almost 3 years ago and its time for them to get me one if I so choose. I will not be selling my FGT to get it. Any opinions or input is Appreciated.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am considering buying a Ferrari F430 Spyder F1. I know some of the members of this Forum either have owned this car or still own it. I put a deposit down at a Dealer almost 3 years ago and its time for them to get me one if I so choose. I will not be selling my FGT to get it. Any opinions or input is Appreciated.

'Spyder can go topless. If it's no big deal $$$$-wise and you're keeping your GT, why not?
(But, IMHO, you'll perfer driving your GT because of it's better [more gentle?] ride & greater power & torque. Only drawback might be if you spent the $$$$ ... and then find yourself leaving the F-car in the garage most of the time!)

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

I own an '06 F430 F1 Coupe. Refined and fun to drive. It is truly a great car. You gotta love that exhaust sound.

That said, now that the newness has worn off, I usually choose to drive the GT. The F-car is mostly collecting dust now. And since it is black...it really shows. :lol

If it were me I'd take delivery on the Spyder and drive it for awhile and then decide if you want to keep it. As you surely know, in the event you decide to sell you will come out whole.

Life is full of tough choices...:thumbsup :cheers

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
When I first drove the Ford GT the Ferrari 360 was still the "it" car from the Prancing Horse, and I remember thinking, "Okay, this Ford pretty much wipes the 360's booty six ways from Sunday."

Then I drove the F430 when it came out, and my Ford GT was still about six months from delivery. I remember thinking, "Hmmm, this is a much harder call than the 360." The F430 retains the 360's magical steering and superb exhaust note, but has much better (and much needed) mid-range torque, so you can finally slow down for a tight S-turn and not have to go all the way down to 1st or lug the motor coming out. You can even goose the throttle and get the tail out -- versus having to down shift and pop the clutch like you would in the 360.

If the Ford GT didn't exist the F430 would be close to my favorite car (just drove the new 911 GT3 and that thing is friggin' awesome -- and much cheaper than the Ferrari...).

But the Ford GT does exist -- and it's better overall. Offers even more torque, plus better looks, a more forgiving ride/driving experience and WAAAAY cheaper to maintain. I'll give the F430 the nod on pure steering feel (and it's a tight race here), but otherwise the GT is simply a better car.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
Ive never been in either the FGT or 430 heck I havent even seen a 430 in person so take my words how you like. In my opinon the FGT is a much more special car then the 430 because the FGT will not have a predecessor. The 430 had the 360, 355, etc before it and who knows after it. Also the 430 looks very close to the 360 which is one of my favorite cars so its not a bad thing. But all in all the FGT in my book will go down as something not only great looking but a great supercar that shows Detroit still knows how to build a great car. But you can never have to many exotics and the 430 is currently my favorite out of Maranello so go for it.

Tonycan

GT Owner
Jul 23, 2006
I owned an F430 F1 Coupe for about 18 months. Loved it, especially the carbon ceramic brakes. Put about 4500 miles on the speedometer, probably more than 1,000 of those on the track. It's a terrific car on the track. Very precise turn in and, as others have mentioned, good mid-engine response over that of the 360 (my previous F-Car). The GT is much more of a driver's car, both on the track and on the street. It requires significantly more involvement and attention to driving detail. The GT is more fun to drive on the street (six-speed), looks better that the F430 (IMHO), and is great at the track. Bottom line: both great cars; each gives the driver different feedback and feelings when behind the wheel, and that's what driving these cars is all about.BTW, I also now have a Gallardo (I'm Italian, so gotta have something from the old country), and it is just as much fun to drive as the 430, both on the street and at the track. Hope this helps.

rick430

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
boston
Just traded a GT for a 430. Actually retraded back I traded for the GT from a 430 about 6 mo. ago ok call me fickled. Both are tremendous I wish I could have both. The GT to me anyway has two areas I dislike: gearing and sound. I tried the Borla (too tame) and to my ear the accufab was to harsh. The gearing for me is too tall for around town. The best way for me to sum up both cars, I drove the GT I wear the 430.

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
I own a FGT and a F430

Both are great cars. I like my Ford GT slightly better than the f430. I love them both but they each drive differently.

The ferrari is a little easier to live with. You have good visiability in almost all quarters. The car handles like a race car and runs like a bat out of hell. The comfort and radio system are wonderful. It could be a everyday driver.

The FGT has poor back up vis as you proablby know, and is really fast. it has a very gentle handling compared to ferrari which feel more race driven. The sound on the FGT is good the Ferrari sounds is awesome. Fit and finish is better on the Ferrari, but all of that stuff can be fixed by the dealership. The FGT while it does not taunt you like the Ferrari is very satisying to drive. In my view it is the better overall car equation. it is the first American car I have owned in 22 years and I just love it. All of my Lambo , Noble and ferrari freinds say "it is a freakin Ford", then I smoke them and a few lucky ones drive it and then they understand.

Ford wanted to build an image car and in my view they suceeded!

My favorite car is the Lotus Elise Sport. it is a hoot to drive compared to anything else, but it is not a Ferrari or FGT. You may want to look at buying a Lotus and keeping your FGT. The Lotus has hardcore handling! If you are a car guy you will be amazed!

If you just want to change cause you are bored the F430 is a great choice. if you want an investment and a very super car the FGT is the choice.

Good luck, :cheers

lee

Last edited:

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Perfectly said

Ive never been in either the FGT or 430 heck I havent even seen a 430 in person so take my words how you like. In my opinon the FGT is a much more special car then the 430 because the FGT will not have a predecessor. The 430 had the 360, 355, etc before it and who knows after it. Also the 430 looks very close to the 360 which is one of my favorite cars so its not a bad thing. But all in all the FGT in my book will go down as something not only great looking but a great supercar that shows Detroit still knows how to build a great car. But you can never have to many exotics and the 430 is currently my favorite out of Maranello so go for it.

Nate you made a perfect point. This does make the FGT a special car. I wish I had said it :banana

Lee

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I cannot really add to the thread as I've not driven the 430. (Btw there have been some excellent well reasoned posts on this thread.)

I have a quick question though: Does anyone have an idea as to when the successor to the 430 is due?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I haven't owned a 430, but would make the point that I've always tried to avoid cars that eclipse each other in my collection/garage. Not for financial reasons - just because I can't drive them all, so I need dramatic contrasts.

For example, I wouldn't want the Vanquish and Bentley GTC at the same time - whilst the Vanquish is better looking, the Bentley is a better car in many respects. The Murcielago and the Ford GT wouldn't sit together either.

However there are collectors who want cars that are close to each other - 430, Gallardo, FGT, GT3 etc. My experience is that it irritates me to have cars too close as I end up neglecting some.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I cannot really add to the thread as I've not driven the 430. (Btw there have been some excellent well reasoned posts on this thread.)

I have a quick question though: Does anyone have an idea as to when the successor to the 430 is due?

Should be a 2009 or 2010. Count on a new body and alot more power.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
cant afford one :lol

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Interesting article about reliability,depreciation and cost to service in the latest Evo magazine as commented on by the P1 club. Bottom line is if you were going to buy a 430 the reliabiliy is apparently good as is the resale value. That is a reassuring point if you are concidering the 430. Their 2 gallardos average 5 clutches each per year.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does anyone know if I put a deposit down on a 430 now and it is replaced by another model, do I keep my place in line for the new model?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does anyone know if I put a deposit down on a 430 now and it is replaced by another model, do I keep my place in line for the new model?

It all depends on the dealer. They play God in the Ferrari world.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Just a comment to RICK430. You said that the gearing in the GT was off. I agree, when I first got the car 1st gear seemed way too long and quite frankly, not great acceleration.

But once the supercharger upgrades are put into play, the gearing feel changes dramatically. With 650 to 750 whp 1st gear feels pretty good (you just have to be soft with the go pedal), and as hp increases past that, 1st actually feels too short. I think its interesting that the gearing "feel" changes as hp increases.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
Nate you made a perfect point. This does make the FGT a special car. I wish I had said it :banana

Lee

Thanks man :cheers

Get them both and enjoy them. If you end up not driving the 430 you can always let the wife or me drive it.

Last edited:

ladams1

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Central Florida
Great car

I haven't owned a 430, but would make the point that I've always tried to avoid cars that eclipse each other in my collection/garage. Not for financial reasons - just because I can't drive them all, so I need dramatic contrasts.

For example, I wouldn't want the Vanquish and Bentley GTC at the same time - whilst the Vanquish is better looking, the Bentley is a better car in many respects. The Murcielago and the Ford GT wouldn't sit together either.

However there are collectors who want cars that are close to each other - 430, Gallardo, FGT, GT3 etc. My experience is that it irritates me to have cars too close as I end up neglecting some.

I think this gentleman makes a great point. I try to buy cars that in my view are a different niche. My point of view on which cars maybe a little different. I like performance cars so I focus mostly on those.

In my view the F430 and FGT while both sport cars have entirely different personalities. My Lotus Sport is a little monster on corners and an agile delight. an so on!:banana

The only car I have that is some what the same is the 911. But it is my everyday driver to get milk and such.

The Lambo Muc in my opinion would be a different performance car Niche. I am sorry to say while I love the appearance I did not like the car. I drove one two weeks ago. I will go back to the dealer and drive the LP640 6 speed manual when it shows up. I may just go for the Porsche GT which looks awesome and the prices have come down.

Just my POV

Lee

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005

My guess is you don't get to the head of the line. When they annouce the the F430 Replacement most dealers will get deposits from customers who have bought many cars from them first and you may well go to the back of the line.