Failed California Smog Test

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There is no magic here. You need to drive the car and give it the opportunity to run the test. If the test runs - regardless of outcome (pass or fail), the monitor gets set. Essentially, the monitor is simply an indication that the ECU has had the opportunity to run the test. If the CAT test runs and the test fails, you get a Check Engine light and the monitor is still set. (Hey, the test ran.) If the test runs and the test is successful, you'll never know unless you are using a device that shows the monitor status.

What you need to do:

7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period.

I would recommend that you connect an OBD2 reader that includes Monitor status. Take the car out and drive it and repeatedly refresh the reader to see when the CAT monitor is set. At that point you can take it back to the Smog Test and you will pass.

they still can't get it to pass the CAT test.

Again, it has nothing to do with PASSING the CAT test..... you are trying to give the car the right conditions in order to coax it in to running the test. Focus on 7) above and I'm very confident you will be successful.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I had same issue several months ago. My car has a pulley but no dead battery issues. Tried a 50 mile drive, no go. Drove it down to San Diego from Orange County varying speed overall a 150 miles. Drove directly to Test Station, Passed! The tech told me the euc wasn't reading the cats before and there was no substitute for driving the car.
Good luck.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Thanks everyone! I drove her at various speeds and RPM ranges. That did the trick! She passed!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Thanks everyone! I drove her at various speeds and RPM ranges. That did the trick! She passed!

Great news Jim! Go drive.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A reminder for those needed a smog check and planning to get your air bag(s) replaced. Get the smog test first! The battery will probably be disconnected when replacing the air bag requiring you to driver the car to complete a new test cycle. :ack

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A reminder for those needed a smog check and planning to get your air bag(s) replaced. Get the smog test first! The battery will probably be disconnected when replacing the air bag requiring you to driver the car to complete a new test cycle. :ack

Ask them to remove the fuses instead of disconnecting the battery.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Finally passed today. What a hassle

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Air bag replacement and repair can be done without disconnecting the battery. My mechanic is very experienced and does it!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Fortunately, I have figured out a way to avoid my Ohio smog test requirements. My Florida cars have no smog test requirements. You Hoo! ��

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Clinton,
I've gone 275 miles at varying speeds and rpm's. Still haven't passed. I called Serramonte Ford and they think they have the speed, rpm and distance answer. We'll see. Where can I get a OBD2 reader? Is it difficult to hook up?
Tom

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Clinton,
I've gone 275 miles at varying speeds and rpm's. Still haven't passed. I called Serramonte Ford and they think they have the speed, rpm and distance answer. We'll see. Where can I get a OBD2 reader? Is it difficult to hook up?
Tom

Get a Bluetooth reader from amazon. It just plugs into the port under the dash. They are about$20. You need a smart phone and some are android only so if you have iPhone be sure it is compatible

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Tom

Follow Kendall advice, go get an Autel 519 for ~$80. See attached discussion. The OBDII port is by the left hand corner under the dash.

Ed

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-smog-and-current-smog-atation-software/page8

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Tom get one of the recommend OBDII devices it plugs into the ODBII port on the far left side of the driver's side footwell below the dash.

For me the last monitor to reset is the Cat monitor. I was trying to get it passed in Feb and I think the engine never got to the temps need to run some of the test. I ending up closing off most of the front grill to get the engine hotter to complete the test.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Smog was due on my GT today, drove about 2 miles form my house to the smog station, car was barely up to temperature.
Tech said no more dyno and no more sniff test required by the State (Cali), he plugged into the car's computer port, looked around with his flash light in the engine bay (have no idea what he was looking for), few minutes later I was done with passing results.

Last time I did this (same smog outfit), a dyno and a sniff test were required and it was more of a production trying to defeat one of the monitors, was able to and passed as well but it took a heck of a lot longer to perform the smog test. Today's results:

zzzzzzzzzzz smog.jpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Tom do you have a stock tune or custom? Some custom tune turn off some smog features and the car will never reset all of the monitor to a pass.

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Tom do you have a stock tune or custom? Some custom tune turn off some smog features and the car will never reset all of the monitor to a pass.

Custom tune but it passed two years ago.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Yep, the GT guys tune will be trouble in CA and NV. I went back to factory tune and original MAF and still get one system-not-ready (Catalyst) but one is allowed in NV, but not in CA.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I would never (admit to) recommend this but it is possible to force the factory computer to read pass on everything... not just keep the engine light off but actually read "Pass" on all parameters. I believe the SCT unit is the one I am familiar with, uh I mean, I have heard about doing that?!?!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
C'mon, Fubar, really? Car in boxes and you want us to think you know? Love you buddy.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oh man, are you a doctor of proctology because your kinda a PIA? bah dump Bump!!

But what would be do without you?
(enjoy stress-free forum reading, believe in the faith of friendship, have hope of the future of the human race... I'm just say'n)