factory test laps?

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Is it true that they actually test run the cars at the factory? Mine has only 2 miles on it and I was wondering if those 2 miles were on the track? Just curious, thanks for your comments...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, they took them for a drive on the street, just to make sure everything was proper.

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
ok, thanks. I thought that would be a little rough to take a new car onto the track and hammer out some laps...but I heard a rumor years ago that all the cars were tested and ran laps at 200+mph... silly rumor I know... Hey, did you hear that if a car is less then like 50 miles on it, the computer might not be programmed yet and not allow it to run right? I was thinking about getting my car dyno's before break-in.... thanks again....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, well known fact. Look at the old posts concerning this.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
ECM reset

Believe the computer does not allow full potential until 5-15 miles on the car. This is to allow a little brake in time on the engine and probably to preclude abuse by PMI techs when they get the car ready for customer delivery.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is it true that they actually test run the cars at the factory? Mine has only 2 miles on it and I was wondering if those 2 miles were on the track? Just curious, thanks for your comments...

Searches will tell you they put about 25 miles on a few cars and included a letter WITH the car explaining the miles on the odometer to it's eventual owner (and a sticker on the window someplace too, I think).

Last edited:

ajgt

Permanent Vacation
Nov 30, 2005
atlanta, ga
ok, thanks. I thought that would be a little rough to take a new car onto the track and hammer out some laps...but I heard a rumor years ago that all the cars were tested and ran laps at 200+mph... silly rumor I know... Hey, did you hear that if a car is less then like 50 miles on it, the computer might not be programmed yet and not allow it to run right? I was thinking about getting my car dyno's before break-in.... thanks again....

Ferrari puts 30-40 track miles on all their cars before delivery. They say they test drivers hammer the car pretty hard, right out the gate.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ferrari puts 30-40 track miles on all their cars before delivery. They say they test drivers hammer the car pretty hard, right out the gate.

Swell. Nice to know your $250K car has already been thrashed to START with. :mad 'Ridiculous if true.

ajgt

Permanent Vacation
Nov 30, 2005
atlanta, ga
many people on ferrarichat have witnessed this while visiting the factory.