Factory Paint Issues

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
It seems I have a couple of the common paint issues with the factory paint.

I have been reading a number of previous threads on this and think I came to a conclusion on one. Looks like the tiny air bubbles on the rear clamshell may be taken care of by wet sanding and buffing?

The other problem is the spidering/cracking of the paint on the front deck lid right above the latch. From what I’ve read, a number of people were in the process of addressing this, but I never found any results.

As was mentioned in most of the posts, the paint is only original once. While I might be able to live with the tiny bubbles as they are hard to see unless you look just right, the cracking is somewhat noticeable.

I’m working with Ford on addressing this before my warranty runs out and just wondered what others have done to repair this?

Jeff

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The bubbles can be wetsanded and buffed out. We do it ALL the time and works great. Just takes the RIGHT person to do it. As for cracking, its gotta be painted, but it is a fiberglass bonnet, so as far as collectability, its not a panel that can be paint metered and they most likely will ALL do it over time, so as long as the repair job is perfect and cant be noticed by the human eye, I dont think it will effect future value. Its just more of a pain in the arse to have to deal with....

Aug 25, 2006
I agree with all that was shared however I would to add; cracking in paint on composite materials is usually caused from below; aka the gel coat or ? as such it is important to have the paint in those areas completely removed and the substrate cracks corrected or the cracks will typically quickly reappear after a moderate number of thermal cycles.

Takes care

Shadowman

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
The bubbles can be wetsanded and buffed out. We do it ALL the time and works great. Just takes the RIGHT person to do it. As for cracking, its gotta be painted, but it is a fiberglass bonnet, so as far as collectability, its not a panel that can be paint metered and they most likely will ALL do it over time, so as long as the repair job is perfect and cant be noticed by the human eye, I dont think it will effect future value. Its just more of a pain in the arse to have to deal with....

I agree with all that was shared however I would to add; cracking in paint on composite materials is usually caused from below; aka the gel coat or ? as such it is important to have the paint in those areas completely removed and the substrate cracks corrected or the cracks will typically quickly reappear after a moderate number of thermal cycles.

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks to both for the feedback.

I was concerned the cracks were probably an issue below the surface.
Could it have anything to do with some form of stress at the latch?
I'm concerned even repaired at the bare surface, it could return because of a possible design flaw?
I am very carefull to always shut it pushing right above the latch point rather than out at the end of the lid when I close it.

I do have an excellent body guy that has done all our cars for years.
I had read in one of the paint threads where someone was able to get Ford to agree to sublet the warranty paint work to an outside body shop.
I may see where I can get on that front, rather than let the dealership take a stab at it.

Jeff

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks to both for the feedback.

I was concerned the cracks were probably an issue below the surface.
Could it have anything to do with some form of stress at the latch?
I'm concerned even repaired at the bare surface, it could return because of a possible design flaw?
I am very carefull to always shut it pushing right above the latch point rather than out at the end of the lid when I close it.

I do have an excellent body guy that has done all our cars for years.
I had read in one of the paint threads where someone was able to get Ford to agree to sublet the warranty paint work to an outside body shop.
I may see where I can get on that front, rather than let the dealership take a stab at it.

Jeff

Jeff I would have no concerns; once tended to properly she will be fine. These gals all have a bit of patina it is simply a matter of what one can live with. In your case the cracks are a problem whereas for another they may have been over looked. Stand back and enjoy the big picture because once up very close they all have a pimple or ? and yet as a full picture they are stunning.

Now as for sublet; if the dealership does not have a bodyshop then it would be sublet as which point your relationship with the dealer could dictate to which facility the job is sourced to; chat with them as most as real people.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Jeff I would have no concerns; once tended to properly she will be fine. These gals all have a bit of patina it is simply a matter of what one can live with. In your case the cracks are a problem whereas for another they may have been over looked. Stand back and enjoy the big picture because once up very close they all have a pimple or ? and yet as a full picture they are stunning.

Now as for sublet; if the dealership does not have a bodyshop then it woul be sublet as which point your relationship with the dealer could dictate to which facility the job is sourced to; chat with them as most as real people.

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks again. Good to know it's not a revolving door I'll be stuck in.

I believe I have a solid relationship with the Dealership, as my shop interacts with them regularly.
I also had a nice long chat with them prior to bringing the car in.
The GT owners in the area haven't really locked down a quality outfit for on going work and I let them know they had a great opportunity based on how I'm taken care of.

So far it's been good. Even got them to swap out the interior door trims due to discoloration below the release handle where oils from our hands had effected them.

Jeff

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Good luck Jeff. Sorry to hear about your paint troubles.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ghost, I know Bob Allen services a couple of GTs. On Metcalfe.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Ghost, I know Bob Allen services a couple of GTs. On Metcalfe.

Thanks Frank.

Right now things are going well with my local dealer, but I will definitely keep them in mind.

Jeff