Factory hood and hatch shocks

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Finally got a set of factory Ford front and rear hood shocks, took quite a long time but am happy to have the factory parts for my 2006

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
If you find that they don't work or are weak. You can buy good aftermarket struts from:

We contracted Stabilus in Germany to make the correct gas strut = both dimensionally and with the exact spring force as OEM. While keeping it up is important, length also matters, LOL. Just sayin!

We have both front and rear replacement gas struts for the GT in stock and ship the same day as ordered.

https://www.cooltechllc.com/7-ford-gt-parts-accessories

Keep in mind that the price shown is the price per PAIR for the gas struts.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Check the date codes on the boxes. Sadly, some old stock ones are weak right out of the boxes due to age.

Reactions: KennethClay

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Finally got a set of factory Ford front and rear hood shocks, took quite a long time but am happy to have the factory parts for my 2006
Did you just order them from your local dealer? And can you tell what the production date is?

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I see date code 35/16 which 35th week of 2016

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As has been the case for the last 24 months or so, we have front and rear replacement gas struts available. The date codes are July 2023. They can be ordered by following this link. https://www.cooltechllc.com/7-ford-gt-parts-accessories

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I did order from my local dealer but it was a hassle, had to provide a copy of the title and go through a vetting process

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I did order from my local dealer but it was a hassle, had to provide a copy of the title and go through a vetting process
All Ford GT parts are supposed to go through an owner proof process. This is to prevent people from stockpiling parts.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
I ordered through my local Ford dealer in 2020. When the parts arrived I noticed the production date was 3 or 4 years old and the original paper packaging looked greasy. Returned them unopened and ordered a fresh set from Cooltech.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

tonygt

Nov 12, 2021
camarillo californa
bought the cool Tek units, really happy with the units quick install.

Reactions: Nafod

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
As has been the case for the last 24 months or so, we have front and rear replacement gas struts available. The date codes are July 2023. They can be ordered by following this link. https://www.cooltechllc.com/7-ford-gt-parts-accessories
These are simply the best period

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I gotta ask; you have been a member of the Forum for a long time. Surely you have read about the problems with the OE struts at some point, no?

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
yes, I have read about the factory struts, and have suffered the hood and hatch hitting me in the head for awhile! (LOL). However I am a stickler for original factory parts. I have not even installed these new pieces yet as I do not drive the car that much any more, so may not even install them!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
To try to best elongate the life of a gas strut - even an unused one, store them vertically with the rod side down. Gas struts will leak when the seal between the cartridge and the rod dries out and so the best way to mitigate that is to store them rod-side down where the oil is against this seal. (That's why when gas struts are installed - on the GT or any other car, the rod-side is down.)

Last edited:

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
very good information thank you

waltweems

Feb 9, 2021
If you find that they don't work or are weak. You can buy good aftermarket struts from:
I bought a pair for the front from Century Ford in Mt Airy, Md. Cost less than aftermarket, took 10 minutes to install,
left the hood up overnight and it strayed up

waltweems

Feb 9, 2021
I bought a pair for the front 0f my 05 GT from Century Ford in Mt. Airy, Md. Took a couple days to get them.
they cost less than after market. I left the front hood up over night and it stayed up.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I bought a pair for the front from Century Ford in Mt Airy, Md. Cost less than aftermarket, took 10 minutes to install,
left the hood up overnight and it strayed up
I am using OEM replacements that I installed a couple of years ago. They are OK and do hold the hood and shell up, but are weak. In breezy conditions, I don't trust them. I do have both sets of CoolTech struts ready to install.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I purchased Kendall’s struts, much better than stock (you can “see“ and feel the quality), and what I also discovered is when back from a leisurely drive and parked under my 4 post lift, the clam shell can be opened and hold position at less than full extension (I open it about half way for obvious clearance from the bottom side of the lift ramps), exterior portable cooling fans are then turned on for engine cooling, (yes, I know I need therapy:ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
exterior portable cooling fans are then turned on for engine cooling, (yes, I know I need therapy:ROFLMAO:)

I like your thinking.