F1 Austin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The track looks really, really spectacular. Awesome layout that appears very funny fun to drive, and should provide a lot of action tomorrow. I have to say, they definitely should have had a whole heap of track days to lay down some rubber because it looks like a real oil slick out there so far. Should make turn 1 on lap 1 interesting. Looks like one hell of a facility as well. $400 million well spent.

Really bummed we couldn't be there! What are the odds of getting a baby with a due date on the day of the only US F1 race! :biggrin

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Wishing you and family the best tomorrow if the little one decides to make an appearance then. So, will RALLY VIII be at this track or some date in the future?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Turn 19 is providing quite a few thrills...

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Will the race be televised?

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Impressed with the event so far, impressive facility, good managent of getting people into the facility, and the Ferrari Challenge cars putting on a NASCAR worthy show.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Is the track available for a Texas Ford GT rally??
Just thinking out loud.But how cool would it be to drive on a new F1 track????

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Speed TV at 12:30 central time.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Thx.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I originally read that the track would not be used for public rentals, but that may have changed.

I wouldn't mind just piggybacking a Rally off the race event itself. I know Formula 1 has caught a lot of grief over the last couple years, but this has been a great season and the sheer technical superiority of the cars makes it such a phenomenal in-person event.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If it was available, could you even begin to fathom what the rental costs would be???? Yikes....

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I read somewhere they have open dates next year for $50k a day.

We NEED to do this.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If it's $50k a day for track rental, count on $60k after corner workers, fire and safety, and insurance. My guess is they probably require $10 mil general liability.

It would be extremely cool, but you're talking about ~$1000 per person per day to use that facility unless you bring hundreds of cars, which is not fun on a 3 mile course. Something like Laguna Seca, which people consider extremely expensive, is $15k a day.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
. Something like Laguna Seca, which people consider extremely expensive, is $15k a day.[/QUOTE]

You're either "the most informed man in the world" or you've been doing research.:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
. Something like Laguna Seca, which people consider extremely expensive, is $15k a day.

You're either "the most informed man in the world" or you've been doing research.:wink

Researching what? :biggrin

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Unfortunately for us, at $15,000 a day for the Laguna track rental fee, everyone would have to weld turn downs on even a stock GT to avoid blowing the db limit. That's what SVT had to do at FGT events before the car launched.

It's $27,500 per day for a sound unlimited day, but those are reserved for race team testing only. No dice!

Bummer!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
What did you guys think of the race? I thought it was great! A bunch of passing through out the whole field!

I was very worried when I first saw the layout. Every long straight ends in a very tight corner of more than 90*. I figured they would never be able to pull off a pass if the inside line was protected. I guess since the entry is SO wide there are many ways to get thru the corner and not get blocked.

Fun race, I watched other in car video on the computer while I watched the Speed coverage. Live timing and scoring in another window.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
If it's $50k a day for track rental, count on $60k after corner workers, fire and safety, and insurance. My guess is they probably require $10 mil general liability.

It would be extremely cool, but you're talking about ~$1000 per person per day to use that facility unless you bring hundreds of cars, which is not fun on a 3 mile course. Something like Laguna Seca, which people consider extremely expensive, is $15k a day.

Do a poll and see if people would pay $1000 a day for COTA. I would and I'm not a big track guy.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If it's $50k a day for track rental, count on $60k after corner workers, fire and safety, and insurance.

Does that include the Ecclestone Licensing fee?

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
I went all three days, and COTA did an amazing job all the way around. We had Lot H Parking through the Ferrari Club, and came in and out from the north. You exited the new 85mph toll road about 3 miles north of the main track entrance, so we never slowed down coming or going. Took 35 minutes from Northwest Austin.

We were in turn 12 at the end of the longest straight, right where they went from 190mph to about 30. Lots of passing in that turn. We were on the top row, 37, and had a 360 view of downtown Austin as well as over half the turns. Hope to get these seats again.

Only issues we heard, were long shuttle lines, (but lines moved quickly with 40 buses waiting in a lint), and too long a waits to get food and merchandise.
I'm sure those issues will be addressed for next year.

Came home and watched the race on TV to see and hear what people thought about the track, and heard no negatives to speak of.

Best part of weekend, was mooching of a buddies coattails to get in the Aventador Roadster unveiling at the 4 Seasons ( great bar scenery after), and the saturday night Ferrari party at a ranch outside of town. They auctioned off the first F12 to hit the states for $1.125million, all going to the Sandy Superstorm victims. Met Marco the USA Ferrari President, and had a conversation and photo with Governor Rick. (friend of mine's daughter married his son, and I fly fish with the kids). They had and F40, Daytona, 275GTB and Jacky Ickx's F1 car on the lawn as you drove up. Then back to the 4 Season for more scenery.

Best racing weekend I ever had ! You guys need to go next year !!!!!

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I was there. We sat Grandstand section 4b just past the start finish line. Could see the final turn and straight and turn 1. Directly across from Vettles and WEbbers pit. FANTASTIC track. The grounds have a ways to go, but I presume they just ran out of time. Transit from the W downtown was less then stellar but we had a limo service take us back and forth, so was tolerable. Looks like helicopter is the way to approach it next year. Went to Ballet with the myf1yachtclub. They had the several lambos there--new aventador, some gallardos and a neat 66 or 67 GT350.

I have heard from fairly knowledgeable sources that the $50k/day track fee is accurate--that does include corner workers, ambulance/fire and insurance. Sounds quite pricey to me, but I'd go $1k for sure as part of a group to drive around it.

I had more fun in abu dhabi 2 weekends ago at the GP there but this was pretty great.

ben