Extreme GT at PB SC Weekend

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This past weekend I attended the Palm Beach Supercar Weekend event. Lots of cool toys but the GT's were my favorite.. Go figure ... :biggrin

Well 2009 is going to be an interesting year for GT fans. There are a few hard core GT owners that want to go out and break some records. This GT is being built to set some records. The owner of the car has his own shop and specializes in GT mods . He has dedicated a lot of time and money to build and super High HP motor ( 1700 HP ) and some bullet proof drive train parts for the GT. He has also developed some interesting suspension goodies. He runs his cars hard on road courses and drag strips. When they break something they build something stronger. Some of the parts of interest were new hardened gears, beefed up synchros and re engineered output shafts. They have developed a high horse power output stub shaft that bolts right in to the Ricardo trans axle. The new stub shaft uses a larger single center bolt in Lieu of the two small retaining bolts of our axle bolt failure issue. The owner of the car was very busy at the event. I plan to go visit his shop and get some more details.. : )

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 525

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Please report back. Both DBK and I have rejected mutiple appeals by this company to be a forum sponsor.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
A few more photos from the event.. One is of me and Helenor and one is Jose the new Proud owner of the GTX-B prototype car.. I also ran in to our own "Doccar" and his lovely wife !!

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 454

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Please report back. Both DBK and I have rejected mutiple appeals by this company to be a forum sponsor.

Not sure why?? He is an extreme guy but he is doing some things that may help us all down the road? As things break and get harder to replace his investments and R&D may help the whole GT community? I plan to go chat with him and spend time with him.. Please PM me if I've done something wrong..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What tires are the extreme GT running? I don't recognize the tread pattern.

attachment.php

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

attachment.php

Cliton, They are running some drag radials for traction..:biggrin there was a whippled Heritage that he says he has time sheets in the 9's..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Soroush will be hiding if he ever meets this GT! :biggrin

attachment.php

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

:eek They LOOK like the treads on my Dunlops!! They can't possibly be though since there's no way that they're made in the GT sizes. I'm gonna go home and check my dunlop treads.

Ooops, Stormy says they're drag radials. Well, the tread cut LOOKS like my dunlops! :biggrin

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
they are Nitto DR's

whos the company that built this?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Not sure why?? He is an extreme guy but he is doing some things that may help us all down the road? As things break and get harder to replace his investments and R&D may help the whole GT community? I plan to go chat with him and spend time with him.. Please PM me if I've done something wrong..

Because both DBK and I agree 110% that we have enough tuners, and we will not turn the board over to tuners.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You're thinking of someone else Bony.

This shop we had turned down, because in all honesty, the website of the company looked to be what I would call uh, disingenuous. That's just being honest.

At the time they asked to be a sponsor, I looked on the site and they had two Ford GT's listed for sale. One was supposed to be Twin Turbo, but the pictures they showed were clearly not a car with twin turbos. This car was listed for sale at $899,000. They also had a Whipple car that was advertised with being a car that had gone 250 mph (if I recall). This car was listed at $325,000. In my opinion, those were the first two red flags, especially because they appeared to both be owned by the owner of a new shop.

More so, at the time I looked, they had a pulley/tune/exhaust/wheel/tire package that was advertised as 650rwhp that was listed for around $50k. They had a similar package with a Whipple at something like 750rwhp listed for around $80-85k. There were also claims of low 9 second 1/4 miles. I'm of the mind that if there were a GT out there running around putting down 9.40s on street tires, that would be impossible to escape on the internet. A GT hits a dragstrip, video cameras get turned on.

They also now list a twin turbo 1200hp Lamborghini LP640, a Quad Turbo 1300 hp Lamborghini LP640 package and have a Bugatti section on the website. Until I see proof of any of these existing in the real world, these "packages" lend highly to my skepticism. I get afraid of people willing to list and price things that may be an impossibility. In addition, someone told me this shop told them they made 1300-1400 rwhp on a GT at 12 psi of boost. That freaks me out. The 5.4L modular motor is not new. They've been messing with this engine for a long time. That is an impossibility unless it has an absolutely massive shot of nitrous.

So that's my rationale Brian. There was just way too much stuff listed and not nearly enough proof that existed. 1800 rwhp claims but no dyno sheets? No timeslips for 9.50s? Since a few shops went to work on high end cars, I've seen a lot of shops wanting to get in on it. And just like happens in Corvette and Mustang and Viper world, shops show up, make a lot of claims, and then disaster strikes. I felt based on the goofiness occurring on the website, it would be a bad idea to accept their sponsorship at that time. The only thing I get out of that is less advertising money, so there's not much in it for me by turning people down.

That said, if a body of evidence exists that the work is quality, and any of the crazy claims are backed up by independent parties, I would most definitely reconsider. I don't know the shop from Adam, so I can only make a judgment based on what I see, and what I saw was not confidence inspiring.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And look, he left his wipers on!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I would like to see a dyno run on Youtube of the car in the first post. It LOOKS like it sure can put down some big numbers but then again I am no expert on mods at this level.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Dyno.pulls are only a small part of the calculation.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
they claim 1700 rwhp and its just a twin turbo set up and the turbos dont look bigger than 67 or 70mm at most, I would like to see how thats possible as well, if infact they made that kind of power allow them to prove it by putting up the dyno sheet, and the extent of the build. I would be very interested in 1700 rwhp.

black Ice,
I saw that picture too, but I cant tell if the bottle is connected to anything, I cant even tell if the bottle is being held down with anything. and at 1700 hp he would only be able to use as many as he can put to the ground, my objective for my car is to push the limit of all aspects of the car until slighty going past the limit and hence back off a bit, at close to 850 rwhp and 800 tq Im getting close to the traction limit of the chassis with my current tires, but once I put my car back together I will shoot for more power, I would imagine on the street about 900 to 950 is going to be a bout the limit of what you can put down with out getting stupid. 1700 may sound good and look good on the dyno but it is useless if you cant put it down to the ground. so In short when I see this guy I will not be hiding:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Need Hoosiers! At pseudo "sane" speeds of less than 120 the extra power may not buy much, but if you could compare a 1700 HP vs. 900 HP FGT as a 150 mph roll, I think the results would be quite apparent, during a 50 to 120 run less so. Of course I don't know anywhere where one could do a rolling 150 run legally and safely, so the point is moot.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Need Hoosiers! At pseudo "sane" speeds of less than 120 the extra power may not buy much, but if you could compare a 1700 HP vs. 900 HP FGT as a 150 mph roll, I think the results would be quite apparent. As a 50 to 120 run less so. Of course I don't know anywhere where one could do a rolling 150 run legally and safely, so the point is moot.

exactly, how often do you hear of a race that starts at 150? most of the time the runs are made from 60, hence the new sport of 60-130 is so popular because most everyone will run from 60 to whatever and starting out from 60 the car with the best set up which is maximum power to grip ratio should come ahead, thats the setup Im shooting for,

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
they claim 1700 rwhp and its just a twin turbo set up and the turbos dont look bigger than 67 or 70mm at most, I would like to see how thats possible as well, if infact they made that kind of power allow them to prove it by putting up the dyno sheet, and the extent of the build. I would be very interested in 1700 rwhp.

quote]

What I think is doable with TT is 800hp with 18lbs pulley, 900hp with 24lbs pulley and have heard about a monster that produces 1450hp with a 32lb pulley. The later is not a streetable motor, pure race machine. Beyond that I have sincere doubts.

Dyno pulls are interesting bar room betting tools. Races are won on the track or strip. Not on dyno's or web sites.

The real question, is the motor tractable, how long will it live. Nothing like winning the dyno pull contest and then having to buy a new motor the next week.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Nothing like winning the dyno pull contest and then having to buy a new motor the next week.

Sadly I have heard a few of the stories like that.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
your talking about pulleys but I think you mean boost:biggrin, this car is not supercharged hence no pulley, if they can jam 40 lbs of boost in that motor and have the motor live to tell about it, they might be able to make 1600 hp and youre right about the life of the motor, after some point there just is "No replacement for displacment", thats what I wonder about this build, to what extent is the motor built.

quote]

What I think is doable with TT is 800hp with 18lbs pulley, 900hp with 24lbs pulley and have heard about a monster that produces 1450hp with a 32lb pulley. The later is not a streetable motor, pure race machine. Beyond that I have sincere doubts.

Dyno pulls are interesting bar room betting tools. Races are won on the track or strip. Not on dyno's or web sites.

The real question, is the motor tractable, how long will it live. Nothing like winning the dyno pull contest and then having to buy a new motor the next week.