Extended warranty worth getting?

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
My warranty expired on the 14th and my dealer has offered me an extended warranty thru Western General (yes, they know its not a mustang "GT"). Their "Platinum" plan provides the same coverage as Ford's warranty, with the same exclusion on wear parts and rules on aftermarket modifications. Cost is $3985 for 4 years (or 40K miles).

My car has been pretty bulletproof so far. It has been in the shop mostly for the same nagging issues that are common to these cars (pinched fuel, rattlesnake, etc)...and I believe I've addressed most of them by now. From what I read from the few that have put miles on the GTs, the drivetrain is pretty dependable.

I've modified the wheels/tires, suspension, exhaust/headers on the car. So for me, the extended warranty would not cover any issues pertaining to those components.

So the question is whether the assurance on the drivetrain is worth the $4k + a demoralizing limit on future modifications ( no pulleys, tunes, sigh...) ?

Advice appreciated.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There IS NO extended warranty for the FGT worth having, Juan'.

If there WERE - Ford would offer it. (Seriously) But, that said, I've never heard of the one of which you speak. Maybe it's an exception.

Anyway, if you ever mod the car and they can tie THAT in any way to the repair needed, there's their "out".

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
EP you mean those fliers I get in the mail are lying to me? :rofl:rofl

I guess I also have to quit believing Ed McMahon and Publishers Clearinghouse also. :screwy:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP you mean those fliers I get in the mail are lying to me? :rofl:rofl

I guess I also have to quit believing Ed McMahon and Publishers Clearinghouse also. :screwy:

EVERYBODY lies to YOU, '92!:biggrin

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
There IS NO extended warranty for the FGT worth having, Juan

That was my understanding as well...until today, when I picked my car up from the dealer and the finance manager offered the contract to me.

He said the availability is news to him too. He found out about it only recently when another GT owner made him look into the availability of one. That owner bought the same $4K contract.

And per the paperwork, it covers repairs and replacement of "ALL original equipment factory-installed mechanical and electronical operating parts and assemblies on the covered vehicle.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That was my understanding as well...until today, when I picked my car up from the dealer and the finance manager offered the contract to me.

He said the availability is news to him too. He found out about it only recently when another GT owner made him look into the availability of one. That owner bought the same $4K contract.

And per the paperwork, it covers repairs and replacement of "ALL original equipment factory-installed mechanical and electronical operating parts and assemblies on the covered vehicle.

Mebbe so, but, I'd betcha somewhere in the "fine print" it says that mods will throw a wrench into the works for ya.

Why not CALL the head office of the outfit and just flat out ASK 'em?

(Pockets - that was BRILL-YANT!)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Two questions:

1. Do you believe the insurance company writing the policy will be in business and be fair in processing any claims for the duration of the policy? AIG!

2. Do you have a dealer, or other service provider that will accept the policy and THAT YOU TRUST TO DO PROPER REPAIRS IN A TIMELY FASHSION WITHOUT ANY COLLATERAL DAMAGE?

Discount any verbal descriptions of what is covered! The only thing that counts is what is written on the policy itself!

Read the exclusions section very carefully from the viewpoint of an insurance company that is trying to maximize profits.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I highly doubt you would run into a problem that would cost $4K to fix. The car is bulletproof, and I would not worry about it at all. After all the horror stories of aftermarket insurers not covering claims and going out of business (there's tons of them), I would never consider one.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
States have licensing requirements to make sure auto warranty companies are financially sound and properly insured. Where is this outfit located ? and do they meet their corresponding state licensing requirements ?

Jones

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
I've bought an extended warranty years ago on other vehicles...it covered everything but what needed replacing. Don't buy it, if you're decent with a wrench, you can fix this car. If you're nervous about working on it, you surely will find a cheaper alternative fixing it than buying the "warranty". In my experience, extended warranty = crock of *.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've looked at a couple of these warranty deals and they are a rip-offs. A $2,500 policy has a $25,000 cap and it doesn't cover all sorts of things. At $4k I bet you don't get much more.

As most have mentioned, the car is built Ford tuff (and Bugatti fast :biggrin ). If you are not comfortable turning a wrench on this car, I would look for and mechanic in your area that services Ferrari's and such after they go out of warranty. Basically just have a mechanic that keeps a set of white gloves available for these types of cars.

If you are going to strap on some twin turbo's then your half nuts already anyway. :thumbsup So just close your eyes and write the repair checks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Cost is $3985 for 4 years (or 40K miles).

QUOTE]

'Forgot to ask (and pls excuse the dummie factor here)...is that $3985 ANNUALLY for 4 years, or does the $3985 cover all 4 years? This dummy could interpret what you stated either way!:frown ( Well, that and the fact that during the calls I've recieved from warranty people they've always quoted me "annual" rates.)

If it's for the entire 4 years, that's under a thou a year...for coverage on a limited production, $167K "stickered" exotic. ( Google "If it seems too good to be true...") And if it's ANNUALLY ... uh, dat would be...uh...carry th' "two", times...uh...ya - that'd be just shy of $16K! :ack

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm 110% in agreement with Mark.

Juan Cooldude

GT Owner
Jul 1, 2008
$4k gets you 4 years of coverage. It does sound too good to be true...but on the other hand, the extended coverage for my Range Rover, through Land Rover, was only $2500. So I guess its within the realms of believability.

I googled "Western General complaint" and found numerous complaints about them trying to weazel out of paying for repairs. Of course, the problem with googling such things is that you usually only see the horror stories and not much of the positive experiences, which I'm assuming must exist since Western General seems to have been around for some time and is backed by AutoNation, the biggest auto dealer in the nation.

I have this weekend to decide...but am leaning towards not getting it. Although the thought of warranty coverage on the drivetrain is assuring, the thought of getting majorly agitated from "being screwed" when/if I file a claim outweighs the former. For me, I'd rather face a big repair bill vs having to deal with a lawsuit, etc.

Plus, I need that pulley and tune....

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Geico has something similar and it is only like 50 bucks every six months. However, you have to do it as the original owner of the car. We shall see if they ever pay for anything or they weasel out of it.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Plus, I need that pulley and tune....

See? There you go! Do THAT any any drivetrain claim is D.O.A.! Even the factory Ford warranty won't cover the >FORD< pulley & tune. :willy

I'd bag the whole idea if 'twas me. :cheers

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
I would have to say the insurance company hasn't recently priced out any Ford replacement parts (if ever) and real time (qualified ) labor rates for an FGT. I think I'd put the $4K in a private rainy day FGT fund!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I say pass on the extended warranty, the economics don't justify the expense.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
After my one brief dealer experience and the fact that I am completely "do it yourself" challenged I took my warranty parts to someone I trusted with my car (Cooltech) and paid them to do the work that would have been free. Even if they pay your claim you are most likely going to have to take it where they tell you to for the repair. :thumbsdow

I don't want anyone telling me who is going to work on my car. You get what you pay for, and with a car like this you want the best you can get.....but that is just my opinion. :cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
agree with most here, for this car you dont need it or want it, I have had some experience dealing with two seperate companies in the recent past, to sum it up, one went belly up and I lost all of my money that I paid for the extended warrenty, however before they went belly up they actually paid for my turbos to be replaced on my 993tt to the tune of 6 grand, they policy cost my 3000. so I came out ahead on this deal but it could have been different. I dont know if this was a help or just confused you more.:lol