Experience with trailer winches?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
That's "winches" with an "i".:biggrin

I need a new winch and wanted input about various brands before I purchased.

What's everyone using and how satisfied are you?

Thanks

Keith

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I have a 5000# Superwinch bolted into the front of mine.
No complaints :thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have a Superwinch mounted to the front floor of my trailer. (not sure of size since Trailer is in storage in Pennsylvania.) I am please with it.

But, If I had to do over I would have:
-mounted the winch off-center for a more 'straight-on' pull to the GT's tow hook--better cable coil and un-coil.
-Ordered a remote winch controller (vs the 24 foot cord that my toggle controller came with) The long cord works, but is cumbersome.
AJB

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need to talk to the self-wincher himself, DBTGT. Glad you stated it was an "i" in the middle of the word.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have used both Superwinch and Warn. The only issue I have ever had with either was where the control wire plugs into the unit. I have had that break on both. The replacement power cable that I bought for the Superwinch had a much improved plug unit that would be hard to break so they obviously listened to their customers inputs and inproved their product. I would be comfortable with either. I also like the Warn Powerplant as it has an integrated air compressor that might come in handy and save you from having to carry a lot of extra weight.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I have a Superwinch mounted to the front floor of my trailer. (not sure of size since Trailer is in storage in Pennsylvania.) I am please with it.

But, If I had to do over I would have:
-mounted the winch off-center for a more 'straight-on' pull to the GT's tow hook--better cable coil and un-coil.
-Ordered a remote winch controller (vs the 24 foot cord that my toggle controller came with) The long cord works, but is cumbersome.
AJB

Andy here is your answer:banana
Wireless Utility Winch System

Long sought after by trailer owners, this is the easiest to install and use -
simply plug the connector into your current remote control socket and you're ready to go. No additional power source is needed

http://www.superwinch.com/Freedom_Winch.html

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Thanks Tom....I will investigate...
andy

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Keith!

I too recommend the 5,000lb Superwinch described here:

http://www.superwinch.com/S5000_5_000_lbs.html

At the same time, I also purchased Superwinch's Remote

I mounted the winch offset so that it lines up with the tow ring on the GT.

The quality of the construction, materials, and function of the remote system defies the price point. I was concerned about time lag using the remote, but it works great. I don't have any experience with other set-ups but I can attest that this one works great!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
FYI: I purchased my winch, remote, and tire tie-downs from Summit Racing. They are a class act in my book. I have to do returns a time or two in the past and they are super easy to work with and more than fair. One of my favorite on-line stores to purchase from. (I have no vested interest.)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Warn winches ftw

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Andy here is your answer:banana
Wireless Utility Winch System

Long sought after by trailer owners, this is the easiest to install and use -
simply plug the connector into your current remote control socket and you're ready to go. No additional power source is needed

That is a great idea. I had never heard of this plug in accessory. I just order it from Summit for 129.95.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SPW-06302&N=700+115&autoview=sku

or go to Summit and search for part number 06302

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have a Warn winch in my trailer and it works fine.

Vintage Racer

Feb 24, 2008
Los Angeles
Summit Racing. 10-4 on this company. good pricing and excellent return policy. I spend at least couple hundred bucks a month on their merch. they have the best price on the superwinch.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered another Superwinch S5000. Seems that what I was already using was as good as it gets.

The only reason I was considering replacing it with something else is because my first on blew up on me. I have it slightly offset to match the tow hook on the car but the cable was stacking up on one side anyway. I used it probably 10 times before it came apart.

I had loaded a 69 Bronco and noticed the cable was badly stacked on one end of the drum. When I unloaded it by powering out the cable, a loop had somehow formed on the drum and as the loop tried to come off the drum it literally blew the fairlead rollers completely off the winch, along with some other pieces and chunks. Scared the crap outta me. The cable had several broken strands also so I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I'll mount it a little closer to center to try to get it to wind the cable correctly.

I hope I don't have to buy a new winch every 10 loads, that works out to about $40 per use.:lol

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I use a 12 volt, 4x4 Powerwinch. Works great. Easy to install.
http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/controller?action=category&c=5