Exhaust with the best sound

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Does anyone have sound clips of the borla, Accufab and the Heffner(I think thats what its called.)

Which one do you guys think sounds better. I know the Borla has been out a while, and the others are fairly new.

thx

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Would you really make a decision based upon a sound clip that may only be marginally representative of the actual sound? I would prefer to hear each system in person, say at a track meet or other GT gathering. If that's not possible, I would make a decision based upon recommendations of others that share my criteria and likes and whom I have confidence in. Just my $0.02 .....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Kave said:
Does anyone have sound clips of the borla, Accufab and the Heffner(I think thats what its called.)

Which one do you guys think sounds better. I know the Borla has been out a while, and the others are fairly new.

thx

One of the forum members made a superb movie clip of several exhaust options. Try to do a search. But yes, it is tough to tell even from the audio/video clips. But it's cool to see the video and get a rough sense.

Good luck!

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
The sound clips can be very misleading. You really need to hear the systems first hand, including listening OUTSDIE and INSIDE the car. A system that sounds terrific standing at the rear of the car can also drive you crazy when cruising in the drivers seat. There are several post on this site by owners who installed after market exhaust that are now frustrated by the "drone" their system makes at certain rpm. My 2Cents. PD

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
davisp said:
The sound clips can be very misleading. You really need to hear the systems first hand, including listening OUTSDIE and INSIDE the car. A system that sounds terrific standing at the rear of the car can also drive you crazy when cruising in the drivers seat. There are several post on this site by owners who installed after market exhaust that are now frustrated by the "drone" their system makes at certain rpm. My 2Cents. PD

I've read some of the exhaust posts. Are there any brands in particular that stand out, as having interior drone? Not trying to be lazy, but just want to know if any systems stand out as too much drone. (Something I definitely do not want). Loudness I can deal with.

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Exhaust

I went from stock to Borla to Accufab! If you want to listen or take a ride let me know. Also john at Accufab is out in Ontario and usually has one you can hear or ride in!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
oskie100 said:
I went from stock to Borla to Accufab! If you want to listen or take a ride let me know. Also john at Accufab is out in Ontario and usually has one you can hear or ride in!

This is helpful. I am interested in the Accufab and hear that John is great to work with. They do installs on site in Ontario, is that correct?

I will have to check out their facilities soon.

Are you coming to the Ford event in Irvine on Dec. 2nd? I'd love to hear it then.

- Randy

oskie100

GT Owner
Nov 23, 2005
Simi Valley, California
Exhaust

John is great to work with and does Mods and tunes also. I am hoping to make it down there for the Dec. gathering but not sure now, as my son has been in the hospital for 3 weeks after a bad dirt bike crash.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
oskie100 said:
John is great to work with and does Mods and tunes also. I am hoping to make it down there for the Dec. gathering but not sure now, as my son has been in the hospital for 3 weeks after a bad dirt bike crash.

I do hope that your son's recovery is coming along well. I worked as national managing director of a not-for-profit motorcycle safety foundation a number of years ago. I am sorry to learn of his severe incident and hope he is well soon.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
muffler replacement

The Accufab is great down low and loud[er] at WOT, and for a while it drove me crazy inside the car with droning and buzzing until I had the short shifter installed. Turns out that the subwoofer screws were loose and caused the problem.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I also went from stock to Borla to Accufab. If you want to hear the car at all, skip the Borla. The Accufab has no drone and sounds incredible under WOT!

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I also went with the Acufab exhaust. Installed it myself with no problems. My car now sounds like it looks. The beauty of this exhaust system is that you can feather the throttle and its quiet, but when you jump on it, it sounds like it is supposed too. Thank you Acufab.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Thats what I was hearing. I recently purchased the borla, but a lot of people seem to prefer the accufab. I thought the borla wasn't loud enough thats why I wanted to hear the others and a borla to see if it's just mine.

That does sound like a good idea though. To attend the december 2nd meet.

thx

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Kave said:
Thats what I was hearing. I recently purchased the borla, but a lot of people seem to prefer the accufab. I thought the borla wasn't loud enough thats why I wanted to hear the others and a borla to see if it's just mine.

That does sound like a good idea though. To attend the december 2nd meet.

thx
Kave,
the Borla sounds perfect if, and only if, you also install the catless headers !

Cracker

Nov 12, 2006
When Accufab is mentioned is everyone simply referring to their X-Pipe?

Tommy

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2006
Cracker said:
When Accufab is mentioned is everyone simply referring to their X-Pipe?

Yes :thumbsup

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
SLF360 said:
Kave,
the Borla sounds perfect if, and only if, you also install the catless headers !

The catless headers are what I might be missing.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
SLF360 said:
Kave,
How does the Borla with the catless headers sound at 50-80 mph, 5th or 6th gear? Any "droning" or other problems which might make one wish they had done something else?
I was behind yellow w/black stripes GT on the way to Wixom at the Rally when he opened it up in an underpass. Sounded perfect!

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
No drone with the header system at any speed I can find. No secret that they had more money and data to develop an exhaust for the car than anyone else. Very well designed. I cannot find fault with it.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida