exhaust flames .....

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Does anyone know if switching from a ford racing exhaust to a x-pipe on a TT car would allow flames out the exhaust pipe?

I know that is a broad question but something was just running through my mind and I know of at least one GT that barbequed the back end here on the forum.

thanks

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
So...you want the show? :lol

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does anyone know if switching from a ford racing exhaust to a x-pipe on a TT car would allow flames out the exhaust pipe?

I know that is a broad question but something was just running through my mind and I know of at least one GT that barbequed the back end here on the forum.

thanks

I'll let you know this weekend.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Just so you guys know... I have found the best way to get the light show is to go WOT and motor brake from high RPMs.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Just so you guys know... I have found the best way to get the light show is to go WOT and motor brake from high RPMs.

with an x-pipe or factory /borla can? I think flames would be more prevalent with a direct pipe than the expansion chamber that is the can.

any one heard a tt car with x-pipes? curious .... mostly.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have the Borla but my car didn't make flames until I removed the cats.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Last July at the SVTOA Convention at Miller Motorsports Park, I was tracking behind another GT which was putting out flames when slowing for corners. I looked at his setup, and he had the FRPP/Borla Long Tube Headers (M-9430-GT) and the FRPP/Borla Performance Muffler (M-5230-GT).

I naturrally assumed that my vehicle was doing the same, as I have the FRPP/Borla M-9430-GTX Rear Exit Header exhaust system, but I have never confirmed it.

Each is shown below:

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
mine did it when I had the x-pipe on with factory manifolds and cats, Im currently running the ford headers and stock muffler and its no longer doing it, but im changing to the rear exit headers soon and will confirm once they are on.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ah-Hummmmmmm...spark plugs fwd of the exhaust tips = flame show.

('Old hot rodder trick... and mucho cheaper than all those OTHER exhaust mods! :rofl :cheers :thumbsup)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
flames with stock muffler set up, too.

tblackj

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2007
I am running the Ford Headers and Racing Exhaust and I can tell you that it shoots flames out everytime you shift at WOT. It's a trip at night on a dark road. Thought aliens were bright lighting me the first time it happened.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I am running the Ford Headers and Racing Exhaust and I can tell you that it shoots flames out everytime you shift at WOT. It's a trip at night on a dark road. Thought aliens were bright lighting me the first time it happened.

which racing exhaust the straight pipes all the way out with catback like an accufab or a heffner, or is your set up using the racing exhaust with the little collector mufflers?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You'll shoot flames on any GT if you wind up it and abruptly let off the gas. Removing the cats is the best way to get a bigger light show, but you'll get a constant beat of small blue flames on even a car with just an X. I haven't seen them, but I'm told the rest of the GT's know I am off the gas when the flames come flying out. Hard to imagine they can see that far ahead. :lol

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I have an Ida exhaust. It's straight through after the factory cats.
Also Whipple and tune at 19 psi boost.

It shoots out pretty good flames on shifts or lifting after WOT.

tblackj

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2007
which racing exhaust the straight pipes all the way out with catback like an accufab or a heffner, or is your set up using the racing exhaust with the little collector mufflers?

no cats on mine.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
no cats on mine.

cool, Im waiting for mine!

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
hmmmm.... I wonder if I should get fire extinguisher tips out the back of the car?