Ex-President Clinton visits my college

racegirl

Last Thursday morning an e-mail was sent to all students that attend St. Andrews Presbyterian College that Bill Clinton would be visiting, speaking, and campaigning for his wife, Hillary, on Friday April 4. Being a politics major, I was required to attend, and most likely would have anyways (out of curiosity). The speech was set to start at 10:30 a.m., so I starting standing in line at 9. Two and a half hours later Bill (and his entourage) in big brand new Yukon's (I'm assuming not the new hybrid Yukon's) arrive. After three opening speakers, Bill finally took the stage. What a charismatic speaker! Although I agreed with virtually nothing he said (except for getting rid of no child left behind, and that this next election will bring great change), I really enjoyed hearing him speak. He also mentioned that this new car Hillary is trying to make affordable for "everyone" gets "100 mpg in the city and 80 mpg on the highway". I turned around and asked if I had heard correctly, sure enough he repeated that again. I've been researching that and cannot find anything of the sort. Only cars that get 50-80 in the city and 100 on the highway. I think it was a great opportunity for the community here in Scotland County (one of the poorest in North Carolina) and the students at my school. I feel that our country is in no way ready for a female president (and may never be), but it was a great experience nonetheless. This Saturday Barrack visits, which should be very interesting as well. I'm going to contact Team McCain and see if I can get them out here!
hillary.jpg

P.S.-most my friends have disowned me for this picture.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My sincere condolences for the trauma you must have endured, racegirl! :lol

"... gets "100 mpg in the CITY and 80 mpg on the HIGHWAY. I turned around and asked if I had heard correctly, sure enough he repeated that again." Huh??? (Did Willie get those reversed or did you? Pls clarify for this ol' guy. I'm S-L-O-W!)

By the way - you DID wash your hands after handling that poster, didn't you?

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I think the Ford Escape Hybrid gets better city MPG than highway Mpg.Don't quote me on that.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Hillary talking about cars that get OBNOXIOUS fuel economy is a politically populous campaign promise.....

Telling the Big Three (soon to be Big Two?) that they are able to make such vehciles does not make it so. What is silly is there are conspiracy theories out there that think Detroit invented such cars 20-30 years ago.

There is a peak efficiency of the internal combustion engine... and short of people driving aero-mopeds, such MPG ratings are a farce at best.

Some could argue that the new Chevrolet VOLT that is being created will do that.... not really, as it is a vehicle that you plug in, and will run "engine free" for upto 40 miles before activating the hydrocarbon burner.

For people who drive less then 40 miles at a time, this will cause a problem that people may have to start changing their gas like we change oil today... such a waste.... but that 40 miles of energy is coming from somewhere... and unless you live near a Hydro power station, or Nuclear power plant... you are more dependent on the assurances of of the power company. The blackout of 2004? is a kind reminder...

All in the mean time... I don't care if people want to buy such vehicles; as long as I can plug in my 93 (mon+ron)/2 in my 2040 64 valve V8, and in my 1968 Plum Crazy Cudda AAR (neither of which I own.... if its not obvious)

A "people's car" is not the answer from the Government... a deregulation of the industry is a step in the right direction ;)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Nice grip ya have there :biggrin

Attachments

• Grip.jpg
    Grip.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 116

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
attachment.php

I can agree with that!

:rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
hey ice.. this is a family web site :)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
hey ice.. this is a family web site :)

So now we've heard from both the POT AND the kettle!!!!!:rofl

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Racegirl, don't discount your gender when it comes to being ready to be President. IMO one of the greatest leaders of the 20 century was Margaret Thatcher. Hillary's problem isn't that she's female, her problem is she's Hillary.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Golda Meir is on my list as well...

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
First Gore invents the internet and now Hillary is making cars. The White House must be better than staying at a Holiday Inn express:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Golda Meir is on my list as well...

Golda made Margret POSSIBLE in the minds of may. 'Both of 'em were tough as nails and as smart as they come in many areas.

racegirl

my mom pointed out the finger as well :)
i must have done it subconsciously

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
A natural "Freudian Slip".