Every day use anyone?

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I've had my car 2 days now and now it's pouring with rain....how depressing.

I'm sitting here looking at my car outside getting wet with water pouring into my clean engine bay. The car won't fit in one of my garages and I can't do a swap with a car in the other garage because it simply won't stop raining.:frown

Anyhow.....tomorrow I need to take it somewhere to get the exhaust and bumper delete fitted.

How dirty will the engine bay get?

Does anyone use their car daily come rain or shine?

Do they leak?

The car is like brand new and I'm always keen to keep it that way to the extent that I simply don't use any of my special cars.....I hate myself for it you don't have to tell me.:ack

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Who's doing your bumper delete? Roush?

They don't leak, however they're twitchy in the wet so drive with a degree of caution. Also when you open the drivers (or passengers) door you'll get a fair bit of water fall in. The same applies to the front 'trunk' - water that sits in the upper air intake along with general water all goes into the small trunk area.

The engine bay will get a bit grubby, but not too much, by driving in this awful weather.... Clean it as soon as you are able.

Many of us like to keep our specials looking great - so I don't use my GT in poor weather, it brings me no joy!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Anyhow.....tomorrow I need to take it somewhere to get the exhaust and bumper delete fitted.

Simple. Call 'em, explain the situation, and reschedule for another day.

In the meantime, what about putting up one of those "tent" carports that are commercially available? Ya, they look tacky - but, who cares? They're better than NOTHING, and will get the job done until a permanent structure can be built.

(If space is at a premium, just set it up in the driveway in front of one of your garages.:thumbsup)

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
An aftermarket car cover? Letting her sit out in the rain just seems harsh.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Viper, I get caught in the rain all the time. No big deal. The engine compartment is fairly well sealed so it does not get really, really dirty. When the weather gets better or you get it inside the garage, a damp cloth will wipe everything down nicely in a short amount of time. The key is that the wheel wells stop most of the muck from getting inside the compartment. They will be the dirtiest thing. When you open the clamshell, they are much easier to clean. You can alos step up on the tire and sit on the supercharger very easily to clean the rear window. The rear diffuser picks up a lot of road debris regardless of what you do and the only sure way to clean it is to drop it. Needs to come off for oil changes, so that's when I clean mine up.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Previous post of mine here RE driving to Rally III.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter and I were laughing our ass off at the anal owner's who were having to drive in the rain (especially after a $400 detail). Only difference in my car in the rain is that it runs cooler. I could see & feel those butt%$$% puckering. Just isn't worth it to me. I talked to Cleo ( Shelby's wife). She said Carroll woud love to know that some of the cars are actually driven (their intended purpose). What are most of you guys doing?...trying to keep the car in pristine condition for your sons, daughters, sons-in-law or others to inherit? I am sure they will appreciate the mint condition car they have inherited. We are going to the Sonic drive-in now and eating in the car. CHEERS!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Daily Driver?

Almost.

When it gets dirty, clean her up. The fun of owning a GT is in the driving.

Here, in Seattle, if one waits for those no chance of rain "dry" days, the GT would reside in the garage. Florida owners have the same situation.

btw the wipers work good, as does the a/c.

Congrats on joining the GT world!:cool

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Here, in Seattle, if one waits for those no chance of rain "dry" days, the GT would reside in the garage....

If you don't believe Jeff, just Ask E-P

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If you don't believe Jeff, just Ask E-P

:lol :lol :lol :lol

SHHH!!! I snuck in EP's garage last night and put some McDonald's salt & pepper packets, ketchup & napkins under his seats. Also sprayed the inside of his fenderwells with dirty water. I also performed a SBD bodily function in the driver's seat. :banana Next week I will get there earlier and jack it up letting it run at about 160 mph putting over a thousand miles on it:biggrin The white/blue car actually seemed to enjoy it:cheers

Oops! Time to go to WalMart and get my meds. Oh my.....what will I do?......I might have to park between two cars! lol

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Previous post of mine here RE driving to Rally III.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter and I were laughing our ass off at the anal owner's who were having to drive in the rain (especially after a $400 detail). Only difference in my car in the rain is that it runs cooler. I could see & feel those butt%$$% puckering. Just isn't worth it to me. I talked to Cleo ( Shelby's wife). She said Carroll woud love to know that some of the cars are actually driven (their intended purpose). What are most of you guys doing?...trying to keep the car in pristine condition for your sons, daughters, sons-in-law or others to inherit? I am sure they will appreciate the mint condition car they have inherited. We are going to the Sonic drive-in now and eating in the car. CHEERS!

Amen :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
I luv it!

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Well I don't need an outside cover as I have another garage that I'm hopeful it will fit in only it won't stop raining enough for me to get another car out.

I'm gonna get the guys at work to do the bumper and exhaust....only then will I be happy driving it. Heffner exhaust here we come. Hope it sounds right.:eek

Wanted to know whether the engine bay seals out the dirt before I use it in the rain. Glad to hear its well protected.

How easy is it to get the diffuser off?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here, in Seattle, if one waits for those no chance of rain "dry" days, the GT would reside in the garage.

Tell me about it, Jeffy! :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You need to put it up on drive on lift. I think it's 37 torx screws.

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
You need to put it up on drive on lift. I think it's 37 torx screws.

HOW MANY????:eek:eek

I was wondering, are thes cars ok to lift on a 2 post ramp and are the jacking point cear?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jacking points are clear. Not sure what a two post ramp is, but, if it's a lift that brings the car up from one side, you'd better look at the old posts concerning damage done by the mechanisms. The GTGuys use one, but they have it set to exact dimensions. You're MUCH better off using a drive on (use some 2 x 12" boards to get it onto the lift.)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The 4 poster will be MUCH easier to use. The "scissor" arms on the 2 poster will be in the darn way.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Ive put ~2000 miles on mine in the last month. Weather has been too good not too.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Time to get my snow tires out of storage:wink

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
The 4 poster will be MUCH easier to use. The "scissor" arms on the 2 poster will be in the darn way.

2 posts with 2 legs/supports coming from each.

Maybe I'll put it on the ramp

cheers guys

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Viper

I drive mine every day. Rain or shine. I am not saving it for the next guy.