Ever had an "accident"?

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
As many of you probably know, lawyers have a way with words. That's why when one looks at any Act of government, one needs to know the definitions of the words in order to truly understand the Act's power and meaning. Given Bony's post re wrecked cars, I hope the following proves valuable to you all -

Do you think you know what the word "accident" means? Where I live the Motor Vehicle Act which governs the roads and the vehicles on them, strictly defines the word "accident'' as "an intentional collision". That's right, if you fill out an accident form here you are agreeing that your collision was on purpose!! Thus you basically have signed your rights away.

I would not be surprised if the same definition exists in MV Acts elsewhere. So do yourself a favor; don't have an "accident" have an "unintentional collision" and write those words in to replace accident everywhere you see it on forms, including the insurance company form. Hopefully you will never need to know this, but forewarned is.... you know. :cheers

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Thanks for the heads up!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Welcome. It may also depend on whether the joinder word "includes" is attached to the definition of accident, and what the definition of includes means in your jurisdiction (for example, is it used in a permissive or restrictive application).

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Red Rocket said:
Where I live the Motor Vehicle Act strictly defines the word "accident'' as "an intentional collision". :cheers

So you would say in your country: 'I had a beautiful accident with my lady last night !?' :biggrin

Jokes apart, very interesting and valuable. Rule number one, sign nothing on the spot...in our country ! :rofl

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
FYI, the California Highway Patrol removed the word 'accident' from their official vocabulary, and changed it to 'crash.'

Stefan, I come from the school of deny, deny, deny, deny... :biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
bony said:
FYI, the California Highway Patrol removed the word 'accident' from their official vocabulary, and changed it to 'crash.'

Boner,
I heard there is another one in California from your school, called Dieter...he wasn't driving either (his Enzo, you remember) :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
How did that one go, btw.. Any update on the story !? :banana
ciao, ciao

Stefano

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
bony said:

Deny is always a good policy! esp. when dealing with legal matters becuz unless you truly know the definitions of the words THEY use, making assumptions can be costly. So, even if CHP uses the word 'crash' I would still add the word "unintentional" in front of it. Bottom line - it's good to know your rights.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
Boner,
I heard there is another one in California from your school, called Dieter...he wasn't driving either (his Enzo, you remember) :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
How did that one go, btw.. Any update on the story !? :banana
ciao, ciao

Stefano

Hello Stefan,

The gent is behind bars, seems like he reported three cars stolen in the U.K. and they were all in his rented mansion. They determined the blood on the air bag of the Enzo was his and he had a cut lip. Ther Ferrarichat boys are on top of this moron's escapades so do a search. He is as phony as a $3 bill.

Cheers,
daniel