Event Data Recorder

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Does anyone know if our GTs have one of these "big brother" devices? And, if so, how does one go about disabling it?

Thanks.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
It disables itself..over time.. or, use the sct to erase via reloading software... As far as I know !

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Florida Chris said:
Does anyone know if our GTs have one of these "big brother" devices? And, if so, how does one go about disabling it?

Thanks.
what event you would like to erase, btw... !? PM me, if you prefer.. :wink

stefan

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've not seen or heard of one on the GT. The ones Ford does use, are big and clunky and fitted at the rear of the vehicle,

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SLF360 said:
what event you would like to erase, btw... !? PM me, if you prefer.. :wink

stefan

No events to erase at the present. But who knows in the future. :wink

The data recorder I am talking about is used for accident investigation. I read/viewed a piece on CNN.com about black boxes installed on cars. I cannot find a way to post a direct link to the CNN Javascript video, but if you go to the CNN.com site it is presently an active link.'

Sure looks like a device that I do not want in any of my cars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't see anything like a blackbox in the wiring diagrams. However the PCM could be the blackbox, it see a lot of the data and could store it in non-volatile memory that could later be retrieved. Only someone with knowledge of how Ford programmed the PCM would be able to answer this question definitively. Any volunteers?

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Florida Chris said:
No events to erase at the present. But who knows in the future. :wink

The data recorder I am talking about is used for accident investigation. I read/viewed a piece on CNN.com about black boxes installed on cars. I cannot find a way to post a direct link to the CNN Javascript video, but if you go to the CNN.com site it is presently an active link.'

Sure looks like a device that I do not want in any of my cars.

If I am on base, the first C5's Vettes had the box installed, shows engine speed, air bag deployment and outher vitals. Now I understand all cars with management systems have this feature. Not only can insurance companies get this information, so can law enforcement.

Could you imagine your car being impounded after a banzai run so that the cops could get the information off your car. I am not quite sure how much data is kept, it may be on 5 to 10 second. Not like the black boxes in commercial aviation......yet.

Would love more factual data from someone that knows. On my MBZ the dealer can pull off every fault alert that appears on the warning panel, so that is considerable memory.

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Check Owners Manual?

The CNN piece stated that all cars from year 20XX and later with EDR (Event Data Recorder) installed are required to have that info in the Owners Manual. According to that, all the GT Owner Manuals would have to mention the existence of an EDR if Ford put them in. (20XX = I forget the exact year but I did note that the GTs would have to have the info revealed in the Owners Manuals, assuming CNN is correct in their reporting.)

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Edr

rickisapilot said:
The CNN piece stated that all cars from year 20XX and later with EDR (Event Data Recorder) installed are required to have that info in the Owners Manual. According to that, all the GT Owner Manuals would have to mention the existence of an EDR if Ford put them in. (20XX = I forget the exact year but I did note that the GTs would have to have the info revealed in the Owners Manuals, assuming CNN is correct in their reporting.)
Rick,
That is correct. They mentioned 2000 as the year :banana

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
One of the more important data items it collects is from the anti-lock section telling it just how much brake was applied and when. Take into account speed and acceleration numbers, and guess what your insurance company can do. However, since it is your car, they may not have access to it unless you Ok it. This, I'm sure, will end up in court since our cars are not public transportation. Figure on being cancelled if you don't hand it over. If you look at some of the 2004 F-150 literature it will show you the black box and it's rearward location on the back axle.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
fjpikul said:
One of the more important data items it collects is from the anti-lock section telling it just how much brake was applied and when. Take into account speed and acceleration numbers, and guess what your insurance company can do. However, since it is your car, they may not have access to it unless you Ok it. This, I'm sure, will end up in court since our cars are not public transportation. Figure on being cancelled if you don't hand it over. If you look at some of the 2004 F-150 literature it will show you the black box and it's rearward location on the back axle.

I wonder if you refuse to give law enforcement and insurance investigators acess to the data what would happen. No doubt your insurance would not be renewed, but I sure law enforcement could supeona it. .... interesting.

tunedup2aGT

Oct 27, 2006
Michigan
the "black box" you refer to is actually the rcm or restraint control module and is located in the center of the vehicle under the instrament panal. all cars/trucks have this module to control and record events of depolyment of the air bags and conditions of the deployment.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hmmmm. So you're saying the GT has this box? Any way to defeat it?

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
My mother is a statistical analyst for one of the major insurance companies (I'll leave out the company name for obvious reasons), I can ask her what it's used for when I give her a call later tonite. Are there any specific questions you want me to ask?

And I'm about 99% sure that the insurance will be void if you delete this box, but I'll ask.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I just found this:

http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

It looks like we're in the clear. Interesting that Ford took it out of the Mustang in 2005, and no Ford vehicles have it in 2006. It must have been some kind of Ford corporate decision. :thumbsup

EDIT: So much for the above thoughts since an EDR is apparently disclosed in the owner's manual. Back to square one...

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
That doesn't mean that the information is not there, only that this one tool cannot read the data. I don't know if the police or insurance companies can force Ford to read other data that may be stored in the car.

BlackICE

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Florida Chris said:
I just found this:

It looks like we're in the clear. Interesting that Ford took it out of the Mustang in 2005, and no Ford vehicles have it in 2006. It must have been some kind of Ford corporate decision. :thumbsup

Funny.... Saw a lot of GM and Ford's on that list but didn't see any brands of other cars on that list (ie Dodge?)

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Florida Chris said:
I just found this:

Have you seen the new Ford Shelby Mustang commercial that proudly states the horsepower at 500hp? I think we are sitting on a time bomb, lets enjoy our cars. I can see the wheels spinning in Ralph 'unsafe at any speed' Nader's head. :ack

XR750

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2006
06 manual

says that there IS a recorder....
I believe the printed word in this case,

still wondering how to disable it !

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It is either in the PCM or RCM (restraint control module). The RCM is connected to the CAN data lines thus should be able to see all of the information that the PCM has. I would be hard to disable logging without being able to flash a new program into one or both of the modules. The only safe way is to destroy the PCM and PCM before the police or insurance company gets their hand on it. Of course that can be hard to do if you are in the hospital and the car is impounded!

I could design a product that wipes out for good the pcm and rcm (just like the tape recorder in Mission Impossible)by tying the air bag deployment triggering wires into the self destruct module, but that would have huge issues if it fails and destroys either box while you are driving the car.

This is a new product idea for analogdesigner/Jay. Any takers?

BlackICE

Last edited: