ethanol free gas?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have been fortunate to now to have ethanol free gas available (upstate NY via canada) unfortunately it is ended. I am in panic mode. Not only must I use E10 in my GT, I have a '67 Ferrari with fiberglass tanks and old Alfa Romeos (1960s) whose fuel systems will be destroyed!! I am always amazed about Tech info on this forum (allot of engineers must be GT owners!!). What are my alternatives (race fuel, Aviation or other) HELP!! I am not convinced fuel additives really make a difference (they may remove moisture but ethanol still has a corrosive effect on fuel lines and gaskets etc)
This whole ethanol thing is a FARCE!!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
This whole ethanol thing is a FARCE!!

What are you talking about? More money, less mileage, and bad for your car? Whats wrong with that?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
VP makes a "pump gas" Scroll down to the "C10"

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/road-racing-drifting.html

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
thanks for the tip. I decided to go with VP 105 leaded fuel. It comes by a 54 gallon barrel. Quite exspensive ($10.00 gallon) but since I don't put many miles on these cars and the alternative repairs from using ethanol I believe it is worth it. There are allot of complaints from the marine industry about ethanol as well. I hope availability of ethanol free gas will happen in the future. I am sure most users are willing to pay a small premium for it.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
thanks for the tip. I decided to go with VP 105 leaded fuel....

If you have Cats, the lead will ruin them and get them very hot. It will also destroy your sensors in the exhaust lines.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
As outlined above the fuel is for 1960s vintage Alfa Romeos and a Ferrari that lived on high octane leaded fuel back then!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Sorry - I forgot. I also run 100 octane low lead in my old Sanger Hydro. I usually get it at an airport, or at Parker Oil Company in Parker AZ - in order not to have to pay highway taxes.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
interesting, I was also considering AV fuel. i was confused about using it. So many different types and octane ratings. Also burns differently being made to be used at altitude. Many opinions. Any comment on your experience?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I have been using E10 for many years now in an old Nash and a 1976 911 with CIS injection, with no apparent problems (yet). I know the E10 has risks but I really have no choice in NJ. Your Alfa and Ferrari club chat rooms must have lots of stories on E10 use, and alternatives. In fact, I bet you can sell some of that racing fuel to help keep it fresh.

Howard

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
This site is pretty accurate where I live.

http://pure-gas.org/

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

I am not surprised that I don't see CA listed!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would think that most general aviation airports would have something in the 100-ish range that would be ethanol free.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
So here is the dilema I have. The only ethanol free is at a Holiday station (like Super America) which, IMHO, is 2nd rate gas. I must choose between a BP/Exxon/etc 91/92 octane with 10% ethanol or a ethanol free 93/94 octane. Which would you choose?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
So here is the dilema I have. The only ethanol free is at a Holiday station (like Super America) which, IMHO, is 2nd rate gas. I must choose between a BP/Exxon/etc 91/92 octane with 10% ethanol or a ethanol free 93/94 octane. Which would you choose?

suggest you try the 93/94 - you can always go back to the national chains.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Noting in MA..... where I am.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
E10 will not effect anything in any fuel system even 100 years old. If you need to contact someone about it i have a number for you. I would not be 1 bit concerned about e10 in any vehicle ever produced.

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
I had a '67 Ferrari and used E10 in it with no fuel system problems. Also, the compression ratio on vintage Ferraris is quite low (in stock form) so you don't need high octane gas.

I did run 100LL Av-Gas from time to time so as to get some lead for the valves. However I found this made the Ferrari hard to start when it was hot. Probably due to the different vapor pressure of the Av-Gas.

On vacation in WI this summer, I noticed a lot of stations offering Ethanol free gas "for recreational use". It was more expensive than the E10 but worth it for my boat which is likely to sit all winter was some gas left in the tank.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
above noted. I am concerned about the direct corrosive effect on the original "yellow" fuel lines and multiple fiber gaskets throughout the fuel system. I have heard multiple complaints of leaks and deterioration of the fuel lines. Also my biggest fear are the fiberglass fuel tanks (major problems in boats). I hope "recreational" ethanol free gas becomes widely available. It makes sense and most are wiling to pay extra.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
You may have solved your problem in your last post-- fuel from a marina. If you are near water this may be an option.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I looked at pure-gas.org website and the only ethanol free fuel near me is 87 octane. So BMF you say we can run fuel with 10% eth in our GT's with no worries ? I sure do not want to run 87 oct

Thanks

Steve