Entertaining GT Vs. ZR1 discussion on another forum

H

HHGT

The cause and effect of Medical Marijuana....."I guess I may be the only one but I would take a ZR1 over a Ford GT any day.The ZR1 looks better and performs better."

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-zr1/2739476-zr1-vs-ford-gt.html

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
All I can say is consider the source.

While I love the ZR1 there is no way, not even close, would I take a ZR1 over a FGT.

On my list of next cars to get the ZR1 is still below the likes of the GT3, Porsche Turbo, F430 or Viper ACR.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Looks like most people got it right, though.

I have to say the GT gets more respect on other car sites including Vette and Viper than any car I have seen. I have driven the current ZR1 and it is a great car. Sadly, GM made a bunch to the point where recently they have been producing more ZR1s than Z06s. They are sitting and getting heavily discounted.

The main issue I have with the Z is (and maybe this is my old eyesight) from 30 paces they look like a $40K Vette Coupe. GM should have made it more radical in appearance. It is a blast to drive but not nearly as smooth as a GT.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
There are a few replies that state the ZR1 outperforms the FGT. Is that true?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There are a few replies that state the ZR1 outperforms the FGT. Is that true?

They're so close it's not even worth arguing about IMO.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
On this same subject the link below will make for some interesting reading

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94971&highlight=ford

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote GTdrummer:
"Looks like most people got it right, though.

I have to say the GT gets more respect on other car sites including Vette and Viper than any car I have seen. I have driven the current ZR1 and it is a great car. Sadly, GM made a bunch to the point where recently they have been producing more ZR1s than Z06s. They are sitting and getting heavily discounted.

The main issue I have with the Z is (and maybe this is my old eyesight) from 30 paces they look like a $40K Vette Coupe. GM should have made it more radical in appearance. It is a blast to drive but not nearly as smooth as a GT."

Exactly....just like a Mustang (GT, Cobra, Supersnake, KR......all V-8 Mustangs). All about bragging rights. But ya know...if ya buy 3 used 2009 GTs at $20K each or one 09 KR for 60K..... You would have 900HP, 12 wheel brakes, 18 spd trans etc. ...now that is bragging rights. 3 Mustang GTs parked in the drive or one KR? hmmm You could even do 5 GTs if you are willing to get nice 05s. Sorry, but one KR does not equal 5 05 GTs in my book.

Same with the Corvette. I have always bought a new base automatic coupe for my wife to drive. You can drive them 10mos, put about 7K miles on and get close to your money back. Try that with a ZR1. Also at just over $40K purchase price you can get almost, but not quite 3 base coupes for a ZR1. 1200HP.......to heck with superchargers and twin turbos. Mechanical mods to one car do not equal 3 w/o mods, especially at resale time. Mods mean little, if anything, aftermarket.

Just don't get cars that resemble way too much their much less expensive counterparts.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Try to think of another exotic that 5 years after it was built, is still typically worth the original MSRP.
Have always liked Corvettes and will probably buy a C7, but until then, and probably even then, if you want to ruin a Corvette Rally, pull up in a FGT.
Best one yet.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
if you want to ruin a Corvette Rally, pull up in a FGT

:) I did that by accident last summer. Driving down the road I noticed a slew of people and nice cars at a new car dealership and pulled in to have a look. What I failed to recognize was that it was a GM dealership and the lot was full of Camaros and Vettes. As I realized my faux pas and begin searching for an exit, I noticed most guests were giving me thumbs up and were in fact being quite cordial in their reception for this interloper. It was all good!

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
I just don't really understand why anyone would compare the two cars anyway as they are totally different cars IMO. I know which one I'd take if I had to choose.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
My $.02 worth,
Years ago, I made a similar mistake to Luke by pulling up to a Vette/Camaro/GM musclecar event in my '73 Pantera. The true blue Chevrophiles were pissed. The crowd in general was appreciative of the car, especially (this was in 1990) when they learned the car was 17 years old and still could run rings around almost anything GM had built before or since. Which brings me to my real point. I am AMAZED that in the last week, I have read the Vette and the Ferrari forum where most owners/thread posters AGREE that the GT is superior to their mark!!! WOW, is this the end times? Does the apocalypse approacheth? It is nothing short of incredible that Chevrophiles would grasp that the GT is a superior and not just a rarer car in design and application (and let's face it, it is for all intents and purposes 8 yrs older than a ZR1 and the perfomance difference is nearly insignificant. We all know nominal tuning upgrades allow the GT to still outperform any competitors). However, for the Italian F car afficianodos to also recognize the GT for it's dynanism, it makes me wonder if we are living in a parallel universe. Que the Twilight Zone music.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The best is always a matter of opinion .
In my opinion THE FORD GT IS THE GREATEST!!
I would have both if my wife would let me !!!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I read the Vette thread and yes IMHO most of them got it right. A few dissenters but hey, thats their opinion. Their wrong but they are entitled to be wrong.

However, there are many car models that have upscale models. Porsche, Corvette, Audi etc...The FGT is special in its own right and does not have upscale models of itself. The FGT standout on its own but that doesn't mean there aren't other special cars that are upscaled models of its siblings.

The ZR1 is a special car. I can spot one from 50 yards away but...I'm an enthusiast. The ZR1 is just not as special for a number of reasons as a FGT. An FGT is an FGT. Instantly recognizable by everyone.

Nardo: I disagree. Case in point my friend. A 1976 Carrera 2.6 RS is a special car yet to non Porschefiles it looks like all the other Carreras. You could buy a bevy of normal 1976 Carreras for one 2.6 RS. I'd take the RS at the right price for a number of standard Carreras.

I could have bought a number of Mustang GTs for my KR. The KR is a special GT500 for many reasons. Drive one and you will understand. Does it look like a standard GT500 or Mustang GT? To me not really. To the average non enthusiast maybe they look the same. To the enthusiast they look worlds apart and are worlds apart.

There are many other examples I could give but you get what I mean.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
The FGT is special in its own right and does not have upscale models of itself. The FGT standout on its own but that doesn't mean there aren't other special cars that are upscaled models of its siblings.

The ZR1 is a special car. I can spot one from 50 yards away but...I'm an enthusiast. The ZR1 is just not as special for a number of reasons as a FGT. An FGT is an FGT. Instantly recognizable by everyone.

Nardo: I disagree. Case in point my friend. A 1976 Carrera 2.6 RS is a special car yet to non Porschefiles it looks like all the other Carreras. You could buy a bevy of normal 1976 Carreras for one 2.6 RS. I'd take the RS at the right price for a number of standard Carreras.

I could have bought a number of Mustang GTs for my KR. The KR is a special GT500 for many reasons. Drive one and you will understand. Does it look like a standard GT500 or Mustang GT? To me not really. To the average non enthusiast maybe they look the same. To the enthusiast they look worlds apart and are worlds apart.

There are many other examples I could give but you get what I mean.

I completely understand they are "worth" more....just don't "look" like "more". I can distinguish a KR from a GT Mustang and a ZRI or Z06 from a base Corvette. ...perhaps not with the "clone" parts though. Can't clone a GT. Still take the less expensive version everytime. If I pay big bucks for something I want it well known...not to be confused by hardly anyone with a similar model. Just my opinion...and opinions are like buttholes...everybody has one! lol

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yes opinions are like butt holes. LOL.

I understand what your saying. I, however, buy cars that I like forme and because it gives me enjoyment. I don't buy cars based on what others like, think or may feel. I know what I have and appreciate how its special from my FGT to my KR to my Continuation Series Shelby Cobra. The others that can't tell or don't know what it is... well they don't matter too much do they? Probably not enthusiasts anyway. Those that know...they can tell. Beleive me, they can tell but thats not the important part to me. Its the enjoyment the cars give me that counts. If others enjoy them when they see them thats just a plus.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Can't clone a GT.
Could not agree with you more. In fact, every car I have or desire to own one day subscribes to that philosophy.

H

HHGT

Wasn't this covered on another thread....

"if you want to ruin a Corvette Rally, pull up in a FGT."

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
corvette has the same issues as a porsche
911,911 s ,911 targa,911 4s, 911 c4s, 911 gt,911 gt3,911 gt3 rs gt2 gt2rs gt turbo, 996,997......
corvette coup, corvette convertable, zo6, carbon series, ron fellows series, zr1, c5 c6.......

vs.

ford gt.

that says it all

that however not to say corvettes and porsche aren't great cars. Love the zr1 or gt2rs

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
I took a Corvette Driving school in Pahrump. I had considered buying a corvette to have a fast daily driver. I know these were school cars, but they were falling apart. Anything that wasn't brand new was junk. Plus even the top of the line cars had really poor quality interiors. There were about 5 guys there that were in the ZR1 school and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between their cars, the Z06, the GS, or the regular corvettes. Most of the students were corvette fans and they couldn't either. They would get all strapped in and start crying that they weren't in the Z06. But the biggest knock I have against the ZR1 is the plastic window in the hood that shows you a flat piece of gray plastic. Super Fail in my book.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
"They would get all strapped in and start crying that they weren't in the Z06. But the biggest knock I have against the ZR1 is the plastic window in the hood that shows you a flat piece of gray plastic. Super Fail in my book."

I wonder where they got the idea for a window to show off the engine? MDT I agree with you, it does not quite work. However, I do like the ZR1, and would not turn down one if someone bought me one for Christmas.