Engine temperature

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
What engine temperature is acceptable when drving the car hard. I have been driving the car hard in the canyons and the needle gets over 210. Is that normal?

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
I am pretty new to the car; 1100 miles so far and that is about as high as I have seen it.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
What engine temperature is acceptable when drving the car hard. I have been driving the car hard in the canyons and the needle gets over 210. Is that normal?

I was driving in traffic this afternoon, temp hit 215, is that normal , what can we do to lower temp .
Thanks

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
nothing

Docrug

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Mansfield, Tx
This goes against all logic that I have heard about , but the GT mechanic @ my dealership told me to run the A/C. It makes the cooling fans stay on... Worked for me.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Actually a few things can be done. My car got up to 225 during some So Cal stop & goes last summer. I have remove the stock muffler and install one of the "pipe options" and that was a big help. (This will reduce heat soak a bunch). Also a quality tuner can change the temp. at which the fans come on. My fans now turn on at 190, I think stock is in the 210 range? Some have even remove the cats and this is also a big help with heat soak but then you have smog issues. My car has yet to see 200 sense I made those changes.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Remove antifreeze, put in water and Water Wetter, big difference. Also, have ecu reprogrammed so that the fans come on at a lower temp.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Steve..
Who did you use to set fan temps/tune?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Remove antifreeze, put in water and Water Wetter, big difference. Also, have ecu reprogrammed so that the fans come on at a lower temp.

All depends where you live and what the low temp drops down to.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Architect has a sticky about this that should be required reading for all owners. Please do a search for it.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I took out the cats and put a borla exhaust. I am driving real hard and get to 210. I think I will try the suggestions and go for a tune, so the fan comes on earlier.

Isn't there an aftermarket parts that helps the car run cooler. I thought I saw a couple of cars that had it?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Kave you are just running cat delete tubes and the Borla?

If so, did you turn off the rear o2's....I would think you are getting bunch of codes this way. I fyou had them turned off the tuner or the SCT device should also be able to adjust the fans.

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Kave you are just running cat delete tubes and the Borla?

If so, did you turn off the rear o2's....I would think you are getting bunch of codes this way. I fyou had them turned off the tuner or the SCT device should also be able to adjust the fans.

I am also installing Ford cat delete and Borla this weeked , should the o2's be turned off ?
Thanks

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
From what I understand the rear 02's should be turned off if there is no cat. It should throw a code if you do not. The code itself should not harm the car. But I am not sure how the ECU reacts to it on our cars. Maybe Torrie or one of the other tuners can tell us what happens.

A. Like on my Vette it just throws a code and does not change how the cars runs. If I turn the rears off, no code, still runs the same.

B. The code send a signal to the ECU that something is a miss and it will try to make adjustments. Doubtful IMO, as the primary O2's are the the ones doing all the work, the back ones should be measuring the efficency of the Cat itself. But would be nice to know for sure on the Ford ECU.

I have been considering the same system, I like the idea of less heat from the Cats when on the track. I like the Tube types for air flow, but the cats create the most heat IMO. How does it sound compared to the Hef Accufab, Borla alone ? any sound files or vid?.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Steve..
Who did you use to set fan temps/tune?

The temp settings can be changed with either a Diablo or SCT turner kit. It was a very simple setting change once into the cars computer. The work was done by MMP but once seen you could do it yourself.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
wrap the cats with thermal insulation???

Guys,

Is it safe to wrap the cats with thermal insulation to minimize heat buildup in the engine compartment? Could the cats overheat under high engine loads? Thermal insulation does work well and I will be wrapping my new exhaust system with it "Shadowman style".

Jay

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Shield them maybe, but I don't think I would want to be the first to try and wrap them. Sounds like they would get scary hot.:confused

Aug 25, 2006
Shield them maybe, but I don't think I would want to be the first to try and wrap them. Sounds like they would get scary hot.:confused

I was asked this by another member yesterday to which I said that in all my years wrapping and or coating cats was not recomended by the OEM. Now they may have changed this position based on the newer metal bed cats however I do not know nevertheless shields would be fine and yet I think that they would be awkward to install and in the end the net radiant heat reduction will likely be modest at best.

The simple act of installing any of the cat back systems or the complete Stainless Works system will significantly drop the temperatures and then including items such as thermal coating of the headers (if you install the Stainless Works) or the thermal wrapping of key pieces of the cat back system will reduce the temperatures even further.

Takes care

Shadowman

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
From what I understand the rear 02's should be turned off if there is no cat. It should throw a code if you do not. The code itself should not harm the car. But I am not sure how the ECU reacts to it on our cars. Maybe Torrie or one of the other tuners can tell us what happens.

A. Like on my Vette it just throws a code and does not change how the cars runs. If I turn the rears off, no code, still runs the same.

B. The code send a signal to the ECU that something is a miss and it will try to make adjustments. Doubtful IMO, as the primary O2's are the the ones doing all the work, the back ones should be measuring the efficency of the Cat itself. But would be nice to know for sure on the Ford ECU.

I have been considering the same system, I like the idea of less heat from the Cats when on the track. I like the Tube types for air flow, but the cats create the most heat IMO. How does it sound compared to the Hef Accufab, Borla alone ? any sound files or vid?.

I will put a sound bite together when I get them on , and let you know.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
This topic as well as others have been discussed in earlier threads and posts. "X" pipes and similiare designs will help as well as turning the A/C on when stuck in traffic. Ford has done extensive testing and is aware of the high temps. I posed the question to one of the engine designers and testers in Detroit last summer and was told the engine was found to run better at these high temps. Personaly, I would not play with the engine computer to get the temps down . Only my opinion!!