Engine Temp

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
I read some old threads re: transaxle cooler but I am wondering if I need one. I use my GT as a daily driver and it can heat up intraffic especially when the A/C isn't running. It can easily reach 210 or 220. Never over that. But contrast that with around 180 on the high way. Is this normal? Whatever that is.Anybody have a similar experience?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It's in the 60s here and my temp runs 180 on open road and 210+ in town. I think you'll find this is normal and nothing to worry about. I don't think the transaxle cooler will help engine temps anyway. Unless you track the car I don't think you actually NEED a cooler but it probably won't hurt anything. If it gives you peace of mind, do it. I may eventually do it just because I like adding accessories to it. Gotta get my pulley first though. :biggrin

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Mamzer,

I'd love to sell you a transaxle cooler but frankly it's not going to do anything to address the engine temps that you are experiencing in your everyday driving. There are, however, a few things that you may consider that will help. First, and perhaps the easiest is that you can have a tuner change the "on" temperature for your fans. When he fans kick on up front, you'll see the temps go down rapidly to somewhere around the 180 degree mark. To simulate the effect - which you likely already have, you can click the AC on. This will cause the fans to come on and you can see the effect on temperature. The trade-off is that you are increasing the duty cycle on the fans.... which I suppose is aboutthe only reason I can think of why Ford didn't program the cars this way from the beginning.

Second, you could consider an aftermarket exhaust such as the Accufab or the Heffner. Both of these eliminate the massive (55lb) muffler and permit more air flow arond the engine. Some owners here have indicated that they have seen immediate water temperature benefits after this change - but I'm a skeptic on this topic. I do, however, believe the engine bay temps are improved AND the ability for the car to cool more quickly once you're moving again is also improved.

You should consider a transaxler cooler if/when you begin to take more advantage of the HP of the motor. When the potential of the motor is taken advantage of, a lot of energy and heat is generated inside the transaxle. Ford Racing has become increasingly bolder in their recommendation for a transaxle cooler. In their newest catalog, they are recommending it BEFORE installation of any HP upgrades. Likely good advice - but not a solution for the symptoms you are seeing.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
with the SCT reflash, the settings for the fans to start can be changed.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mam, look at the sticky by the Architect concerning this issue. It is quite complete.