engine kills

robert

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2008
I'm new to the forum and will have to leave shortly. Here is my problem. On at least 4 occasions, when rapidly DCHT downshifting to make a right turn at high speed, the engine silently killed. It even occasionally happens at relatively low speeds. Has anyone else encountered this problem? It also killed several times when coasting down my driveway in neutral, spontaneously revving up and down prior to killing. One other time at high speed (well in excess of 100 mph), it also killed when I shifted into neutral and let the car coast. The neutral shift kill doesn't bother me much but it is disconcerting to have no engine power at a time when you want to accellerate out of a turn.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I do not have this issue with my FGT but have a Mustang GT that does this same thing. Haven't diagnosed yet but its very frustrating.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There is a service bulletin that you can download. I think you have the fuel filler issue.
Welcome to the forum. Register above and post your vin number, send me a PM when done and I will change your status to owner. Where are you located?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm new to the forum and will have to leave shortly. Here is my problem. On at least 4 occasions, when rapidly DCHT downshifting to make a right turn at high speed, the engine silently killed. It even occasionally happens at relatively low speeds. Has anyone else encountered this problem? It also killed several times when coasting down my driveway in neutral, spontaneously revving up and down prior to killing. One other time at high speed (well in excess of 100 mph), it also killed when I shifted into neutral and let the car coast. The neutral shift kill doesn't bother me much but it is disconcerting to have no engine power at a time when you want to accellerate out of a turn.

This sounds like the goofy gas filler tube seal pblm that's been discussed on a thread somewhere here on The 'Forum. I'll see if I can find it 4U. (1st attempt failed.)

Check out the, "GT stalling all the time ....sucks!", thread. Or the , "Engine stalls" thread. (Enter those in the "search" engine)

Last edited:

robert

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks empty pockets and Bony. I am the original owner and am located in Illinois. I'll try the search you suggested
and send your response to my mechanic at Rizza Ford. I brought the vehicle in once and they were unable to solve the problem. If either of you come across the earlier reference please let me know.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
This has happened with my car since the day I bought it. I finally had the fuel filler replaced and it did it the exact same day as I was driving home. No idea what to do next. I need to read up on Lemon Laws.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Mine has done this on a few occasions if I slip it into neutral. I wonder if it has anything to do with the IAC valve...sure feels like it.

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
Pulling fender not necessary

If if it is diagnosed as the Fuel Filler issue please note that it can, in fact, be replaced without pulling the fender. This appears to be a little known fact among dealers.

If necessary you can PM me and I can send you the contact information for the Service Representative at the dealership that did the work for me. I'm sure he would be willing to discuss with your dealer how the work was done.

robert

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2008
Thanks for the info glord as well as the other contributors who related their experiences and ideas. If the problem gets solved I'll be sure to post the ultimate solution. When the weather gets better, perhaps later this month, I'll bring the vehicle in.

Aug 25, 2006
This has happened with my car since the day I bought it. I finally had the fuel filler replaced and it did it the exact same day as I was driving home. No idea what to do next. I need to read up on Lemon Laws.

UUUGH

Pass on the Lemon Law and simply get her fixed; sadly most of the dealers know little about the gals (not their fauilt as Ford did not train anyone) as such you simply need to deal with someone that does; this unless you are looking for a way to get rid of her????

The fact that the filler neck was replaced does not mean that the alternate neck was any better; sadly.

GT Saver Jay and I have discussed a long term fix for this issue but it will likley be a few months before we get to it however in the mean time it can and should be corrected but again I said that this is not an issue for the Lemon Law boys but rather someone that knows the gals.

All the best

Shadowman

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the IAC valve...sure feels like it.
Yup, that's a good call.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Mine has done this on a few occasions if I slip it into neutral. I wonder if it has anything to do with the IAC valve...sure feels like it.

Ive even had that replaced. No luck. Thats the first thing the techh though of.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
UUUGH

Pass on the Lemon Law and simply get her fixed; sadly most of the dealers know little about the gals (not their fauilt as Ford did not train anyone) as such you simply need to deal with someone that does; this unless you are looking for a way to get rid of her????

The fact that the filler neck was replaced does not mean that the alternate neck was any better; sadly.

GT Saver Jay and I have discussed a long term fix for this issue but it will likley be a few months before we get to it however in the mean time it can and should be corrected but again I said that this is not an issue for the Lemon Law boys but rather someone that knows the gals.

All the best

Shadowman
Whats sad is that the dealer I take my car to probably works on more GTs than most of the dealers around. Its where the GT guys go when they come to Dallas. The dealer has been great in a way. They've replaced whatever Ive asked them to replace even though I cant get the problem to repeat in their presence. Some days, the car will die 5 times withing 2 minutes and sometimes it will go a couple weeks without dying. Its so annoying.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas

Kumar, when Dallas Mustang did a dynotune on my GT they upped the idle revs slightly and thought that would help. Since my fuel filler neck fix it hasn't happened again.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
So what is the postulated mechanism by which a faulty fuel filler neck causes stalling? I'm not clear on this.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I haven't heard any complants of this yet and we work on alot of GTs. Some of you guys with it happening often ask your dealer to install a flight recoreder so maybe we can capture some data when the problem happens.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
There was a problem with some Terminators including mine. If it was cold outside and I romped on it hard and then immediately let off the engine would die. It took SVT two tries and about 9 months to produce a fix in the tune. It did not affect all cobras.

The GT is the next generation from the terminator, so the problem could be inherited. However I have not heard much about the stalling problem in the GT. About a quarter of the terminators had the problem. Your dealer could look up the tsb on the 03 cobras in case this might lead them to a possible fix.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I think the new fuel filler they put in has a million times more cracks than the one they took out. Just went out for a drive for the first time in 2 weeks. Had to keep it at 1500rpm every light to keep it from dying. :ack

what to do, what to do?

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Just a thought, but you could disconnect the IAC and set the idle manually to see if that will eliminate the problem.

Might have to fab up some kind of clamp or device to hold te throttle arm at a set position to get it to work... be careful, you'll be "playin' with dynamite" if you try this, it's a temporary patch at most.

mardyn

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Im gonna see if the gt guys (coming on jan 26th) can figure it out.

Now Im trying to figure out whether to cancel a track day i had setup on the 21st.