engine compartment heat

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I guess I'm getting bored again, has anyone thought about putting louvers in the diffuser pan. On the positive side it could draw cool air from the top of the clamshell through the engine compartment and out the diffuser low pressure area at higher speeds. On the negative side it could cause turbulence and high speed instability. If anyone else is getting bored what do you think.:ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, 1st of all, how does one put genuine "louvers" in a plastic surface? :lol

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Well, 1st of all, how does one put genuine "louvers" in a plastic surface? :lol

Exacto knife. :lol:lol:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Exacto knife. :lol:lol:lol

A VERY "exacto" knife!

Naaah. I think he was just referring to the PRINCIPLE in general. :cheers

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
The diffuser pan is aluminum.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The diffuser pan is aluminum.

:eek 'News to me! :eek

The "fins" sure aren't........are they? :willy :lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Rain would also be a problem here. I got caught in a torrential downpour one day and the engine bay stay as dry as a popcorn fart.

H

HHGT

Funny you should ask. A friend of mine who owns a very high end machine shop just bought a GT with 400 miles on it and we were talking about machining a complete diffuser out of billet aluminum with louvers to draw hot air out of the engine bay. We also talked about CF as an option. We're planning a whole mess of other parts and yes including a fender badge - remember my old post?

Now that the house is done and we've moved in I have nothing but time on my hand.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Funny you should ask. A friend of mine who owns a very high end machine shop just bought a GT with 400 miles on it and we were talking about machining a complete diffuser out of billet aluminum with louvers to draw hot air out of the engine bay. We also talked about CF as an option. We're planning a whole mess of other parts and yes including a fender badge - remember my old post?

Now that the house is done and we've moved in I have nothing but time on my hand.

Great minds thimk alike

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I considered putting NACA ducts on the undertray to draw cool air out from under the car into the engine compartment. Also the less air under the car, the better!

Attachments

• giantnacaJPG.jpg
    giantnacaJPG.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 289

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Where would you place it to avoid changing rear downforce?

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Do you think they would really be affective being the air is pulled out the back & the top louvers now.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe is that the underside of the car is designed to be a low pressure area, to increase down force. Getting air from the bottom into the engine compartment would be a challenge, like trying to get a river to flow in reverse. Venting air from the engine bay to the underside would be easier, but it would reduce down force and stability.

I will leave my FGT stock in this respect, not being daring enough to f*** with the aerodynamics of the car given I plan to occasionally run it in some high speed off-road events.

Aug 25, 2006
Huuuuum..... Who has placed a thermal probe within the engine bay to monitor the heat buildup or lack thereof?

I suspect that the engine bay is scavenged fairly well when the gal is in motion.

Takes care

Shadowman

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
if you provide a means of air to migrate from the louvers on the rear deck down through the engine compartment and then out through these 'new' underbelly louvers, then you have just eliminated pretty much all the downforce
9or at least significantly shifted the center of pressure) - under-pressure could not be generated because it would be constantly replenished by the new air. your engine might run cooler, but you'd be feeling a lot hotter from trying to keep the thing on the road at any kind of high speed

Aug 25, 2006
if you provide a means of air to migrate from the louvers on the rear deck down through the engine compartment and then out through these 'new' underbelly louvers, then you have just eliminated pretty much all the downforce
9or at least significantly shifted the center of pressure) - under-pressure could not be generated because it would be constantly replenished by the new air. your engine might run cooler, but you'd be feeling a lot hotter from trying to keep the thing on the road at any kind of high speed

Not knowing how the aero was designed into this gal I could not comment however I suspected this which supports my comment about heat or "lack thereof" collecting when she is moving.

Takes care

Shadowman

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
maybe we could through a set of these babies on there.:rofl

Attachments

• !BYePsoQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl)s+(BKhwrSdi2Q~~_35.jpg
    !BYePsoQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl)s+(BKhwrSdi2Q~~_35.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 331

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The venturi effect has been used for good reason on the GT - best not to muck with it... :)

http://www.symscape.com/blog/secrets_of_diffusers

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Not knowing how the aero was designed into this gal I could not comment however I suspected this which supports my comment about heat or "lack thereof" collecting when she is moving.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman
to give an analogy, imagine vacuuming your carpet with one of those cleaners with a flex hose. Things are great. Now, slice a hole in the hose and try picking up fluff - it won't be anyway near as effective. Underbelly louvers=hole in hose. The downforce is generated by the air coming into the underbelly being 'captured' and forced to expand as it travels down the ground-effects channel, thus creating the under-pressue
. If more air is bled in via the louvers, then it won't create as much under-prssure and thus won't generate as much downforce. Whilst I'm sure you could run some CFD analysis on the design and come up with a location that minimizes losses, this is a tough way to solve a problem - the big-ass scoops look like much more fun

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Agree with Nielda, Texas, Bill and Ice.

The underbody aerodynamic treatment built into our GT's is a "system" from the front splitter to the rear wicker. The air which does manage to flow under our car is accelerated by the aero features and thus is lowered in pressure by Bernoulli's effect. This negative pressure “sucks” the car down closer to the road surface, lowers the car CG and increases the car’s adhesion to the road surface. Any introduction of additional air from the engine bay via holes, louvers etc. WILL compromise aero system effectiveness.

If owners in winter-cold states are bored and looking for aerodynamic mods to make on their cars, it is recommended they read SAE report 2004-01-1254 on GT vehicle aerodynamics first…..