Electrical problem?…

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Was taking a hard left turn (almost like a u-turn) with a bit of wheel spin. Not sure why but I happened to notice the odometer in the middle of the turn and it was showing all dashes like when the car is first started (had been driving for 10 minutes). Needless to say I had to put my eyes back on the road and after I got straight again it was showing correct mileage.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Was taking a hard left turn (almost like a u-turn) with a bit of wheel spin. Not sure why but I happened to notice the odometer in the middle of the turn and it was showing all dashes like when the car is first started (had been driving for 10 minutes). Needless to say I had to put my eyes back on the road and after I got straight again it was showing correct mileage.

Did the drive feel good? Could it have been Vertigo?

Ive seen wierd guage problems (ie. Speedo freaks as in goes up and down) but to date never seen the odometer goe to bars. In mine the bar appears for 20-30s on start up. Could this be the issue?

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
The drive did feel good, but I don't think it was vertigo.

I had been driving for 10 minutes so it was not the initial start thing. Also last week I could have sworn something odd was going on with the alarm but I could not figure it out at the time (something like the park lights did not flash when you turned it on).

The only other thing I have had strange was after a fill up a few weeks ago the gauge did not move to full. After about 5 minutes of driving I pulled in to
a place for a minute, and when I restarted the car I jumped right up.

Have others had electrical issues, did they do anything about them? was it a
big pain?

glord

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Los Gatos California
I just had the same problem with my fuel guage. First time I've noticed it after 1400 miles.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are some old posts on the fuel gauge, but maybe nobody noticed the odometer before at the same time. Check your battery ground straps.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My odometer has stopped working all together - when it finally goes in for service I'll need it fixing.

Just to add some balance, my brand new Range Rover failed last night- battery light came on, then every warning light then nothing.

Whilst the RR had naught to do with the GT, it's worth mentioning as it reminds us that all cars have technicals.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Yeah as far as I know the odometer and fuel guage 'pauses' happened only at seperate times (not at the same time). I expect some problems with a device with so many moving parts, just don't want to think about how long I would be without it.

Car has 8k miles on it now (fuel thing was at about 7.5k miles).

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gentleman, there is a logical explanation for all of this..

You see, the original GT-40 had English origins. Our GTs are faithful recreations of the original. Thus, our GTs simply HAD to have crappy English-Lucas-Prince of Darkness type electrics to (add Jeremy Clarkson halting speech pattern here) capture......the....... essence of the original. Those of you who complain simply don't understand the heritage of these fine vehicles. Sissys.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Also the steering rack from an Aston Martin vanquish and the chassis designed by Lotus guys.

So there's lot's of 'crappy English' bits on the car. :cheers

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
You see, the original GT-40 had English origins. Our GTs are faithful recreations of the original. Thus, our GTs simply HAD to have crappy English-Lucas-Prince of Darkness type electrics to (add Jeremy Clarkson halting speech pattern here) capture......the....... essence of the original. Those of you who complain simply don't understand the heritage of these fine vehicles. Sissys.

Yeah.....my experience with Lucas is it has three modes....DIM....FLICKER....and ....OFF. So far my GT has no hints of that.:thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sorry Neilda

Also the steering rack from an Aston Martin vanquish and the chassis designed by Lotus guys.

So there's lot's of 'crappy English' bits on the car. :cheers

Being an Anglophile (and I also have an affinity for all things English), I meant "crappy English" in a fond way. To be perfectly candid, I have never had a problem with British electrics as long as the battery was disconnected.