Electrical issue, wiper arms, ABS light...

caspian65

Nov 15, 2006
Drove the GT today, probably put about 20 miles on it, around 30 minutes of driving. On the way back to the storage building, I ran over some rough road. Nothing terribly bad but bumpy, nonetheless. Anyway, get to the storage building and I notice the ABS and brake lights are illuminated and that the wiper arms are slowly progressing across the windshield. I hit the wiper switch and the wipers sweep and go back down and then start to gradually move up again. Turn the car off, the lights are off and wipers are stationary and then about 10 seconds later everything starts wiggin' out again.

Any ideas? This is an '05 GT with 6,200 miles on it.

caspian65

Nov 15, 2006
Also, I have noticed that the turn signal "tone" has a weird sound to it.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My car did something like it until I closed the trunk properly.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I would guess one of two things:

1) You battery was low and created problems
2) You have a bad trickle charger and it fried some stuff (this is a know issue and Ford is good about taking credit for the problem)

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I know this doesn"t help much, but sounds like a ground connection is loose.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The trunk closure is the answer. This is the warning that it's open. Please read your owner's manual.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
O.K., you win, what section or page in the manual?

GT Charlie

Jun 23, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
You have two grounds at the same attaching point that if loose can cause all the concerns you are experiencing. G101 has all the lamps on the left front including headlamp, turn signal, fog lamp also the ground for the wiper motor and both cooling fans. The other is G101 it has the brake fluid level switch ground which can turn on the red warning lamp and disable the ABS and turn on the amber ABS warning lamp. If that connection is loose it can cause unusual electrical concerns especially with the high current the fans draw. Check for a loose fastener at the grounds. You might see overheating and arcing at the connections if so use emery cloth to clean the terminals and attaching surface. and resecure the fastener. The grounds are located at the left front just to the inside of the left headlamp assembly.

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
any update as to a resolution?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The trunk closure is the answer. This is the warning that it's open. Please read your owner's manual.

I have Dr. Frank Beat. It happened to me and it started behaving correctly after I did the following steps.

1. Pull over to a safe stopping spot.

2. Shut off car and put it in gear and apply the parking brake.

3. Exit the car without bumping your head.

4. Re enter the car to get your keys.

5. Use the key to unlock the half ass closed hood.

6. Slam hood better than you did last time.

7. Re enter car, start it and go about your business.

My other favorite problem is the door ajar light. Which friggin door is ajar or is the clamshell loose or is the hood open again?????