Early Cars, Clips on Rear Hatch By Window

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
I have an early car, (05 , #723) it was an original 142 grand base price car. My car is the only GT I have ever scene with these clips on the hatch. I am trying to tell FORD some one forgot to take them off before the hatch was painted, they said, some cars have them, some don't....Anyone else have these clips??
(tried to post a photo but couldn't copy and paste it) The clips are on the top of each corner of the hatch between the black vent and the edge of the hatch that touches the roof panel when it's closed...TIA

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I don't remember on what car, but I have also seen the clips by the window, but only one time. They looked like they belonged, so I don't know.

Maybe a different supplier? There are some differences between cars, like under the trunks lids smooth / rough, etc. because of a supplir difference.

GT-Tech - you out there?

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Ford did NOT forget to remove the clips. The clips were standard on a number of 2005 cars to hide the seam in the rear shell. My '05 VIN 786 has them. Ford removed them later in the model year, since the seam was really not that big of a deal. I don't know exactly which VIN the changeover occurred though.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I have an early car, (05 , #723) it was an original 142 grand base price car. My car is the only GT I have ever scene with these clips on the hatch. I am trying to tell FORD some one forgot to take them off before the hatch was painted, they said, some cars have them, some don't....Anyone else have these clips??
(tried to post a photo but couldn't copy and paste it) The clips are on the top of each corner of the hatch between the black vent and the edge of the hatch that touches the roof panel when it's closed...TIA

There are a few threads here that will alert you to the subtle changes within the FGT's progression. Don't panic. You might even have a grill in front of your cooling module. :willy

Pete S.

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
Got The Grill

I got the grill. I was told my car was the first one produced after the front steering recall and my car didn't have qaulify for it. It does sit about a half inch higher than an 06 and was wondering if that has been addressed and if early 05 owners should consider modifying the suspension to the 06 spec?? TIA

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
Sorry for the typo, didn't preview post..My car didn't qualify for the recall....

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
..... after the front steering recall ...

What steering recall? I've never heard of a steering recall. :confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
It does sit about a half inch higher than an 06 and was wondering if that has been addressed and if early 05 owners should consider modifying the suspension to the 06 spec?? TIA

I've never heard of this either. :confused

Just measured...my '05 and my '06 GTs sit at exactly the same height, front and rear.

LUKE

GT Owner
Apr 7, 2007
WY
measured from what point ? what is measurement ?

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I have 2005 build #196 and my car has the clips. The clips were used to hide the seam and were eliminated later in the 2005 model run. PD

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
I had heard there was a front suspension part that they found a hairline crack in it that had to be replaced. It may have been a control arm if I remember correctly. I was told my car was the first one built with the new part on the assembly line. My car is #723,,,Worth looking into if the dealer was telling me the truth and your car is an earlier number than mine. The dealers know nothing. How many of us have been told to "slam" the engine hatch?
What a great forum!! Thanks guys. I see a few people with two cars. I definetly want one for the Barn that won't be driven, and one to slap some headers on to make real loud....

What steering recall? I've never heard of a steering recall. :confused

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I had heard there was a front suspension part that they found a hairline crack in it that had to be replaced. It may have been a control arm if I remember correctly. ...

This is the real old news about the a-arm recall. All done and taken care of. With your early number you probably have the billet arms - nicely machined.

All of the cars were done that needed it. No one is scaming you on that point.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I had heard there was a front suspension part that they found a hairline crack in it that had to be replaced. It may have been a control arm if I remember correctly. I was told my car was the first one built with the new part on the assembly line. My car is #723,,,Worth looking into if the dealer was telling me the truth and your car is an earlier number than mine. The dealers know nothing. How many of us have been told to "slam" the engine hatch?
What a great forum!! Thanks guys. I see a few people with two cars. I definetly want one for the Barn that won't be driven, and one to slap some headers on to make real loud....

Ah, yeah, the early suspension arm issue. Long resolved. Like AZGT noted, you have the really pretty billet suspension arms on your car. :thumbsup

Welcome to the forum. You are correct there are a bunch of guys on this forum with multiple cars. It is a disease...:lol

cammerboss

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
parker colo
all early cars I have seen have had them.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
It was called the bandaid version, for a while on the early cars the pressing on the lid wasnt perfect yet , it sealed a not so perfect seam. DONT FRET IN 30 YEARS LIKE A 63 SPLIT BACK VETTE , IT WILL BE ALL THE RAGE:biggrin . P.S. THERE IS NO STRUCTURAL DIFFERENCE THAT WEEKENS THE CAR OR THE RIDGIDNESS OF THE SHELL. PURE COSMETIC.:thumbsup ENJOY THE RIDE BABY, YOUVE GOT A RARE RIDE . GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks Joey

Was thinkin the same thing..Owned a 67 Shelby GT500 with a metal reinforced hood, early car same thing..Thanks again
It was called the bandaid version, for a while on the early cars the pressing on the lid wasnt perfect yet , it sealed a not so perfect seam. DONT FRET IN 30 YEARS LIKE A 63 SPLIT BACK VETTE , IT WILL BE ALL THE RAGE:biggrin . P.S. THERE IS NO STRUCTURAL DIFFERENCE THAT WEEKENS THE CAR OR THE RIDGIDNESS OF THE SHELL. PURE COSMETIC.:thumbsup ENJOY THE RIDE BABY, YOUVE GOT A RARE RIDE . GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Hmmmm.... who wants to purchase my VERY rare early 05' #448 /clips collector edition GT?

Dang, I like the sound of that. And all along I thought it was just the red with stripes that made it faster than all the other GT's.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have 2005 build #196 and my car has the clips. The clips were used to hide the seam and were eliminated later in the 2005 model run. PD

Could you post a pic or two of these? I've never seen or heard of them.
Thanks ~~~~~

NY 05 GT 40

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2007
Your Car is Rare

If you have a Stripe Deleted car, with clips and no sub woofer, that is very rare..Hold on, these cars are getting totaled by people that can't drive and the inventory can only go down...

Hmmmm.... who wants to purchase my VERY rare early 05' #448 /clips collector edition GT?

Dang, I like the sound of that. And all along I thought it was just the red with stripes that made it faster than all the other GT's.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry to revive this thread, but does anyone know if these clips are removable? I need to repaint one of them and don't want to respray an entire section of the clamshell just to paint this tiny part. Perhaps someone with a service manual that can see if this is possible? Thanks.