Dyno after Pulley & Tune

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
So I did a baseline dyno on a machine that I believe gives accurate (non-vanity power numbers). Originally, bone-stock it made 487 HP / 450 Torq - 12lbs boost and A/F was richer than pig slop.

I just got around to doing a Dyno (number are corrected for air temp difference) to measure the change I got out of the Heffner 2.7 Pulley with a 93 Oct tune - also have added the Borla exhaust with K&N filters. The new numbers are 563 HP / 580 Torq - 16lbs boost and A/F is right on 12/1.

Not too bad. I was expecting a little more out of the number based on what the "seat of my pants" was telling me. Are other folks seeing numbers like this?

HP-Torque.JPG

Pressure.JPG

FuelRatios.JPG

Last edited:

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Thats about right considering the Dyno Dynamics will normally read lower than the Dynojet. The 2.7 and the tune will usually give you a 590-620RWHP level depending on the octane rating of the tune... :) Of course you already know this from the seat of the pants feel!!!

I can assure you that your GT made more than 487RWHP stock. More like 510-530RWHP to be exact and the TQ from 460-490 stock.

Using a 2.7 and a 93 Octane tune we just had one run in 10.90's on stock tires and bogging it out of the hole.

TonY G

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Good numbers, but I think you can get a lot more out of it. My car made 640 on the same dyno with pulley, exhaust, t/b, filters, etc

Aug 25, 2006
I bet she feels GREAT!!

Thank you for sharing your experience

All the best

Shadowman

KRAZYPSI

Permanent Vacation
Jan 13, 2007
Congrats on the nice numbers!

Tony G's tune and 2.8 pulley set-up made 618 at the wheels on my FGT. However, I'm quite sure the numbers are going to change the moment my TT system is installed. :)

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I wouldn't even make an assessment based on the actual number because dyno numbers can vary in so many different ways. I just saw (in person) a dyno of a stock GT that was over 560 uncorrected and over 550 corrected. That has to be a record. But do I really think it was anywhere near 60rwhp more than yours? Not a chance.

You can just see you gained about 80rwhp and 90rwtq, and that's what counts!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know the HP numbers are conservative. The big problem with measuring HP is there isn’t any good standard. I have taken the same car to two different dyno's and gotten HP numbers of 320 and 420.

It is my understanding that the Dyno Dynamic's machine can simulate aerodynamic drag which is more important on our cars than say a drag racer. I started with this Dyno in case I wanted to tune it at high speeds later.

If you assume that the Dyno Dynamic is adding resistance to the car equivalent to the speed it was traveling 120 to 160ish it makes sense that the HP reading is significantly lower than a DynoJet.

At any rate, the overall HP number wasn't as important to me as the change from one pull to the next.

PS – I will try to make a pull on a standard DynoJet to investigate the difference.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I know the HP numbers are conservative. The big problem with measuring HP is there isn’t any good standard. I have taken the same car to two different dyno's and gotten HP numbers of 320 and 420.

It is my understanding that the Dyno Dynamic's machine can simulate aerodynamic drag which is more important on our cars than say a drag racer. I started with this Dyno in case I wanted to tune it at high speeds later.

If you assume that the Dyno Dynamic is adding resistance to the car equivalent to the speed it was traveling 120 to 160ish it makes sense that the HP reading is significantly lower than a DynoJet.

At any rate, the overall HP number wasn't as important to me as the change from one pull to the next.

PS – I will try to make a pull on a standard DynoJet to investigate the difference.

Races are won on tracks, not dynos, the before and after pulls are important to measure change, no more, no less.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
For my DynoJet run, what gear are most of you pulling in?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
For my DynoJet run, what gear are most of you pulling in?

Mine have been in 4th.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I wanted to add my baseline pull for comparison. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the boost chart.

1stPull-1.JPG

1stPull-2.JPG

I will get back with DynoJet numbers soon.

I have beent told that DynoDynamics will read about 15% lower than DynoJet. If you add that correction back in, a DynoJet run should look like this.
Baseline Pull:
HP 560
Tq 523

After Mods
HP 647
Tq 667

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
This is my car, Borla only, 4th gear, no tune, on a dynoJet at Powertrain Dynamics. Then backed up at GRC performance 3 hours later on their DynoJet. Why, long story, Ford wanted the data bla bla bla.
Powertrain is an authorized Ford dyno shop doing a ton of work for Ford when they had HP problems on 03' Cobras.

Are these numbers accurate? Were the DynoJets happy? Are these numbers total BS? .....I could give a damn. However, if I'm ever with one of you sob's at the local watering hole and were hitt'n on the same hottie you can bet your sweet ass I'm pulling this sheet out of my pocket and flipping it on the bar top proving "mine is in fact bigger than yours".

Attachments

• Steve2.jpg
    Steve2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 390

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
However, if I'm ever with one of you sob's at the local watering hole and were hitt'n on the same hottie you can bet your sweet ass I'm pulling this sheet out of my pocket and flipping it on the bar top proving "mine is in fact bigger than yours".

Damn, you beat me by 0.5 HP :ack

I didn't like that skank anyway!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
This is kind of interesting. I ran my car on a DynoJet machine today. This is the same car I ran on the DynoDynamics. The cars temp is about the same. Air temperature was about 20 degrees warmer for the DynoJet run but I assume it has been corrected for that.

Here it is:

DynoJet.jpg

--------------DynoDynamic-------DynoJet
Baseline............487/450................?????

Pulley/Tune.......563/580..............620/584

I think the torque number on the DynoJet is off. The machine was acting-up a bit. The DynoJet was about 10% greater than the DynoDynamics. Cool test, I wonder what the difference is for other types of machines?

Last edited:

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Fubar

Are they SAE corrected and smoothed numbers or just raw data?

Dave

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
Fubar,

have you thought about running the car on Lonestar Performance's Dyno????

I have ran several cars there and have had good results..

Brian keeps up good maintanance on his Dynojet .

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Races are won on tracks, not dynos, the before and after pulls are important to measure change, no more, no less.

You guys need to listen to Bony! You can dyno-tune all day and go "backwards" on ET at the track. Dyno numbers are just that. They have little to do with real world performance IMHO. Anyone who has tuned on a dyno and gone back to the track only to find less speed and ET can attest to that!:eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You guys need to listen to Bony! You can dyno-tune all day and go "backwards" on ET at the track. Dyno numbers are just that. They have little to do with real world performance IMHO. Anyone who has tuned on a dyno and gone back to the track only to find less speed and ET can attest to that!:eek

I have been watching this thread. Two respected builders of FE motors, Gesford and Kraft both build great motors. But Kraft always dyno's out 100-150hp more than Gesford. Both use the same brand of dynos. Funny thing, on the track the motors are so close to each other. Dynos give a benchmark of improvement, no more, no less... or in some cases they show horsepower losses.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Are they SAE corrected and smoothed numbers or just raw data?

Yes, they are corrected and smoothed.

have you thought about running the car on Lonestar Performance's Dyno????

Not really, the point of this run was to test/show the difference between the types of machines and how pointless it can be to compare HP numbers with people who've run on different machines.

We were listening to Bony. I received several emails about how poor my HP results were. Which was nice of folks (I know people were genuinely concerned) and it kinda hurt my ego... so I did a pull on a DynoJet that gave results people where more accustomed to seeing (and gave me better bragging rights).

In the end you, Bony and the tuners are right... Dynos are for measuring change.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
True a Dyno is nothing more than a measurement tool.