Dyno A/F Question

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I had my GT at the dyno and they told me the "sniffer" that goes in the tail pipe is not an accurate way to measure A/F on the GT because the cats affect the readings. They suggested putting a connection point in the headers to get the A/F readings. I don't understand how you can accurately tune without accurate A/F ratios but before I have them drill a hole in the headers and add a connection point I wanted to ask the experts.
Thanks
Don :confused

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Are there any 02 bungs already in your headers?

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
02 Bungs

Nope, not unless they came stock that way and we have not seen them. There are 02 bungs for the cats that feed the sensors, but they tell me that they won't work.
Don

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Dyno

Remove the Drivers side primary O2 (Upstream) and install the wideband sensor there.

Do it all thei tme.. Works great..

TonY G

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
The A/F ratios may be slightly different post cat vs. pre cat. In addition, when you tune on a dyno you are not moving, and air around the car is not moving both of which can impact incoming air in the airbox, coolint, IAT, etc.. I do recommend you use the pre-cat sensor for optimal tuning, but I also recommend the purchase of a wideband sensor that you can read before the cat to monitor A/F at different speeds, etc.. on the road (real world driving conditions).

Last edited:

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Primary 02

Tony, thanks for the info. Is the primary 02 before the cats?
Don

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Next time I have the rear bottom panel off I will show post a picture showing where the bung was welded in place for the wide band sensor on dyno tests. Also I have an access panel in the bottom panel for easy access.

Dave

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Westech dyno in Mira Loma now has equipment from Innovate that will be able to monitor a/f from each cyllinder individually, requires 02 bung in each cyllinder exhaust pipe about 12in from heads. Seems like a great idea, giving the ability to see how each seperate cylllinder runs.

Dynotech402

Sep 30, 2006
From the chassis dyno...

I've run the chassis dyno @ Westech during all the GT parts testing and development with Accufab in Southern California. The cats ONLY affect the A/F reading for a split second when you go to WOT. This is when the cats release their O2. We ran a "sniffer" with a vacuum supplied via shop air to get accurate readings during low rpm testing when there is very slow air speed across the wideband. As the rpm increases, that problem isn't a factor. Accufab now has a stainless X-pipe, Inlet stiffener, throttle body, and a complete tune available for the GT. They also recently finished a twin-turbo kit that was run in the standing quarter during the "Silver State Classic" in Nevada where the car ran 210mph!! The parts are top quality and the performance is not for the faint of heart!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No offense, but didn't that car burn a piston during the run?

Dynotech402

Sep 30, 2006
yeah, it did but the problem wasn't related to any of the Accufab pieces or the tune, but a fuel delivery issue, inheirant to Fords fuel system design.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Dynotech402 said:
yeah, it did but the problem wasn't related to any of the Accufab pieces or the tune, but a fuel delivery issue, inheirant to Fords fuel system design.

Ah...sounds like something we would like to know about.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If there is a problem how does Piko's car have 1000+ hp with the standard fuel system?

BlackICE

Dynotech402

Sep 30, 2006
Consider this..

I never said that the stock fuel system couldn't do the job, obviously it did. You always have to look at the application. You can run an engine with 12.5:1 compression on the street on pump gas, just as long as you don't go WOT. It's the difference between static and dynamic compression. Without WOT the engine never sees the volume of fuel/air to reach max compression. Listen, the point is, I believe it was the application, coupled with the type of event(distance and constant WOT load) that forced the problem to show its ugly face. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there makin killer power with the same available volume of fuel, but for how long, at how much load, and at what pressure?? Thumbs up to "Piko", I don't know anything about him.

-Hammer Down

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Piko is the guy from FL with the twin turbo GT. I think he is going for even more power now and needs an upgraded fuel delivering system too. The car seem to do mostly drag racing so maybe that is why he didn't run into a problem.

BlackICE

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
NAAA... i hit 200-220 and even more a lot of times....

WOT is what i love to do.. i might be a little more lucky i guess.. i have got 4000 miles on beating this car so far it is running strong also i use 115 octane

i never used regular gas in this car yet... i think 115 octaneis the big difference here..

thnaks

joe

Dynotech402

Sep 30, 2006
Right On...

You're makin some serious power to hit those mph #'s. Good deal. I think the 115 octane is definitely saving you. With the boost you must be makin to run those speeds, I wouldn't ever run anything less than, lets say 114VP or Rocket Brand, which is the old 76 Racing division.

-Checker or Wrecker!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dynotech402 said:
You're makin some serious power to hit those mph #'s.

Not that Joe's car doesn't make insane crazy power, but a stock car will hit 212 anyway. I have proof on video using a vBox.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
How much distance does a stock car need to get to that mph #

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Nardo, that is a great vid right DBK?