Dry Washing the GT

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Dry VS Wet---that's an easy one.

Boys its like this.....1st thing in the morning do you dry clean your body or
do you take a nice clean wet shower to remove all dirt and foreign matters.
Now if I walk up to a hot lady, guess who she would rather smell.
Wet is my best bet!!!!!!!!!!!! Also try the dry method on your hair...good luck, after a week you,ll be looking like Buckwheat......

BillyRay

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I'm ok with dry between wet washing. But dry only... no way.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Pls provide your approach; I think alot of folks are closet dry-washers

I have tons of the best (no tag) microfiber towels, maybe a hundred. I use them like candy so I don't have to even think that I am wiping with a dirty towel. First few strokes are very light and just once on each face of each towel to get the main dirt off. As I go, I eventually can wipe more than once on the same face of the towel. Light touches; treat it like your cleaning the most sensitive tits imaginable. I also use Meguire's Final Inspection and wipe down the whole car with it. You can use that stuff to clean just about everything including the rims.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Boys its like this.....1st thing in the morning do you dry clean your body or
do you take a nice clean wet shower to remove all dirt and foreign matters.
Now if I walk up to a hot lady, guess who she would rather smell.
Wet is my best bet!!!!!!!!!!!! Also try the dry method on your hair...good luck, after a week you,ll be looking like Buckwheat......

BillyRay

Your skin and hair are porous, the metal and paint on your car are not. Most folks don't wash 10 million dollar cars with water unless they absolutely have to. Water is one of the most corrosive and damaging items you car will ever come into contact with.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Water is one of the most corrosive and damaging items you car will ever come into contact with.

AND WE ARE DRINKING THIS STUFF?????:willy:willy

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
Staying on subject, I switched to using Zaino's to clean my gal last year. I love the product. I have read Zaino's site, and have used the 100% large cotton bath towel. However, I only wash her with water 1 or 2 times during the summer, which is usually after a long run that may include a little water from the road.

As for the microfiber, I am not particularly happy with mine, so I am looking for a good suggestion. I just checked out www.griotsgarage.com and it seems like a good towel. I am waiting for another suggestion as to the microfiber towel to use during drying and between washes.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Staying on subject, I switched to using Zaino's to clean my gal last year. I love the product. I have read Zaino's site, and have used the 100% large cotton bath towel. However, I only wash her with water 1 or 2 times during the summer, which is usually after a long run that may include a little water from the road.

As for the microfiber, I am not particularly happy with mine, so I am looking for a good suggestion. I just checked out www.griotsgarage.com and it seems like a good towel. I am waiting for another suggestion as to the microfiber towel to use during drying and between washes.

I bought Griot's. He's a little pricey sometimes, but he's got good stuff.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Water is one of the most corrosive and damaging items you car will ever come into contact with.
AND WE ARE DRINKING THIS STUFF?????:willy:willy

Yeah, and fish f**k in it! :ack

:lol:lol:lol:lol

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I used to use Field Crest 100% made in the USA cotton towels, but the company went out of business. As far as the Microfiber stuff the search continues, I am going to try the ones that Autogeek carries. :cheers

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I used to use Field Crest 100% made in the USA cotton towels, but the company went out of business. As far as the Microfiber stuff the search continues, I am going to try the ones that Autogeek carries. :cheers

Remember... a lot of these towel's say they are 100% cotton but they HAVE nylon thread holding them together. This is one of the materials that causes swirls.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Remember... a lot of these towel's say they are 100% cotton but they HAVE nylon thread holding them together. This is one of the materials that causes swirls.
That is correct... The seams of the towels are almost always threaded with nylon or polyester to hold everything together. Brushing these edges against your clear coat can take its toll.

The mentioning of microfiber on Zaino's website is grossly outdated. Last year Zaino was selling their brand of microfiber at Bloomington Gold in IL. When microfiber starting hitting shelves, skeptics were out there saying no, and so was Zaino. The CD test has become a great tool for testing microfiber. When you purchase some microfiber, head out and buy a brand new CD. The CD is much more sensitive to scratches than your clear coat so if the CD does not scratch against the microfiber, your clear coat won't either.

I have all sorts of microfiber and conducted my own tests on brands, cost, durability, performance, etc... I discovered even your regular "Costco" style microfiber performed the same as your much more expensive $4.00+ per towel microfibers. I have all sorts, and have bulk of premium microfibers too, but at the end of the day after over 500 "Costco" style microfibers passed the CD test, it was all done. I tested all of them because I wash and fold them. How's that for an evening project :ack

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I've got 9,000 miles on my gal, along with with 5 track days, and have only had to wash her down twice...the rest of the time I "dry wash" her...I've never worried about the quality of the 100% cotton towels I use for the wet part, since I have the pleasure of living in SoCal our weather is so calm, and I usually clean the gal after each day on the road, so there is little grime to deal with. I like the Griot's microfiber towels and also use their foam pads for cleaning, polishing and waxing my Midnight Blue baby.
Is her paint perfect? No...but I'd like to see someone find a flaw in her skin...

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I can say with over 65 cars in my collection and many years of detailing my self and hiring "so called best" that once Jason turned me on to the foam gun and the correct suds and wash mit I was a skeptic thinking what could be the difference......but what a superior difference they make and 1/2 the time and mess. Of course I will never attempt to do a clear coat restore on my own but when "dry washing" and leaving dirt to absorb into the clear coat (which it will) in the heat of the sun you will need to do this at some point and time.

Jason just so you know the GT 90 came back from goodwood (detailed at the show) and we all stood next to it and the black GT and first words out of all the directors was we should have sent Jason with the car to goodwood, night and day difference. But we did take second overall at the goodwood fest.

Ok I just had to toss that in because of time I could not give it to you before shipping it overseas. Next trip she's all yours.

Last edited:

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
first words out of all the directors was we should have sent Jason with the car to goodwood, night and day difference. But we did take second overall at the goodwood fest.

Ok I just had to toss that in because of time I could not give it to you before shipping it overseas. Next trip she's all yours.
Great news, congrats on the win! :cheers See you next May, or earlier?? :biggrin

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Washed car this morning....Nice

Car looks so good I'am going to have to apply some EagleOne Nano polish!!
With all that water I hope the car is not totaled..LOL
I only use towels on the tires and door jams, there is NO need to touch the paint unless its a micro. Like someone said earlier when there,s drips or its a tad dusty I use the spray and shine with the Micro.
Today use my rockets 1st bath...it took about 1 1/2 by the time I had to also go for a 2 mile run for any excess water in the pan.
Man this ride gives people SWIPLASH!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I can say with over 65 cars in my collection.

Thats huge.

Give us a peek:biggrin

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I need to clarify the 90 official owner is Total performance John V.

Much of my collection is pale compared to those here (state side is all american muscle, drag, motorcyle and street rod) and a large portion of it is currently in the middle of a sale.

My life is now consumed (other than work) by taking care of family and friends who cannot take care of themselves. And the collection is properly named as they collect dust and back to thread.......Dry washing if I said never I wouldn't be telling the truth....blow off and california duster has done in a pinch......

I will never part with the GT and hope to replace the AC in the near future.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
FWIW, I have used the Sam's club micro fiber towels for a year and have been very happy with them. I will try the CD test on them now that I know what a CD test is and report back. Price is just under $10 for 25 towels, I believe.

Rick

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
FWIW, I have used the Sam's club micro fiber towels for a year and have been very happy with them. I will try the CD test on them now that I know what a CD test is and report back. Price is just under $10 for 25 towels, I believe.

Rick

I have used the Sam's club ones for years now. They are a good price and haven't caused scratches yet. Just went yesterday to Sams to reload on towels.