Driving on B-stones in the cold

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have an appointment across town tomorrow to have one GT worked on and my 458 to be inspected.

The GT has relatively new Bridgestones, the 458 Pirelli plus traction control.

The cars are in a heated garage. It is supposed to be 20 degrees tomorrow. I don't want to drive on hockey pucks. Should I go or cancel?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Go but be careful about accelerating and sudden shifts and during turns. Use brakes to slow down no downshifts. Keep it under a hundred:)

No warranty express or implied. Your mileage.may vary. Seek medical advice for an ere****** lasting more than four hours. Trained professional driver on a closed course. Etc

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would cancel since their is no rush

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Will there be any salt on the road??

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I would check with Rich and Dennis to see if then need work before heading out.

I would pass just due to the salt and sand on the roads.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Be thankful you are not in Minneapolis. Forecast for Sunday is -24. Few things are not as hard as a hockey puck when its that cold..

Attachments

• cold.jpg
    cold.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 300

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
No salt on roads

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Assuming dry roads, I would only consider cancelling if the heater blend door was stuck. It's not like you are going to generate more than 0.05 Gs driving across town.

(Having driven in similar conditions on Goodyears in Virginia)

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've driven both the Goodyears (inferior to my Bridgestones) in snow (not by choice) and if you don't push it it is all fine.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would cancel appointment. REASON: I TRUST MY DRIVING BUT I DON'T TRUST OTHERS DRIVING IN BAD CONDITIONS! That's my reasoning.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
are you kidding? just go.

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I would cancel appointment. REASON: I TRUST MY DRIVING BUT I DON'T TRUST OTHERS DRIVING IN BAD CONDITIONS! That's my reasoning.
Tomy makes a valid point!!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I've driven both the Goodyears (inferior to my Bridgestones) in snow (not by choice) and if you don't push it it is all fine.

:agree:

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Keep the babys safe and warm. Wait for a nice spring day and enjoy the ride.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
If it is a nice day outside, just drive it......jmo. It IS just a car :) If it is snowing or raining it is too much of a pain to clean back up otherwise, I have no concerns driving in the "cold"

ben

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Amen to that, Mr. Harmon.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Epilogue:

Woke up at 7 am , wind chill was 9; asked my son (other driver) he said "have you lost your mind". Went back to bed.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Terry -

When the wind chill in Mammoth is 9 degrees, I do the same :thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I would drive no matter what. Life is too short to not have fun & adventure. Risk, liability, etc etc - to hell with it. Live everyday like it was your last.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would drive no matter what. Life is too short to not have fun & adventure. Risk, liability, etc etc - to hell with it. Live everyday like it was your last.

Ed

Amen Ed! And driving your car in cold temps is not likely to be your last. It's not like ball bearings suddenly appear on your tires. lol.