Driveway scrapes on front fascia and rear Venturi channels

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I am so pissed, have this pain in the ass driveway, even with trailer ramps scraped the left front fascia and the right rear Venturi diffuser today. A parked car reduce the angle I had to get the GT up the driveway. Anyone have other entrance suggestions for drives ways angling from the street. So pissed! I guess investing in a spare front fascia and the 2nd pair of rear Venturi diffuser channels is a good idea?

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Careful with ground clearance...

AtomicGT said:
I am so pissed, have this pain in the ass driveway, even with trailer ramps scraped the left front fascia and the right rear Venturi tunnel shoots today. A parked car reduce the angle I had to get the GT up the driveway. Anyone have other entrance suggestions for drives ways angling from the street. So pissed! I guess investing in a spare front fascia and the 2nd pair of rear Venturi air flow channels is a good idea?
AtomicGT,

How about a side view image of your driveway? I have been trying to master the art of angular approaches whether it be a bump or a dip. I did ding my rear diffuser once, on "day two." Jay www.gtsaver.com

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I thought I might have a problem too, but luckily if I go slow I don't bottom out on my driveway. If it did happened I was ready to mix up some concrete to remedy the problem. Of course I would hope that the city didn't notice my handy work.

BlackICE

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I have done a lot of building in a beach community close by you. Do you have a downsloping driveway and does it scrape as you transition from the steep down angle of driveway to the garage floor? One thing I have done in the past is to make a simple wood mockup using 1 long horizontal 2x4 that represent the the underside profile of the front spoiler and rear diffuser and a couple of vertical 2x4's nailed to the long 2x4 to represent the wheels. I then "run" the contraption over the driveway and see where it hits and what could be done. Sorry for the long winded explenation.

I have had to remove and replace a few driveways for just the reason you are talking about. But maybe with some other lightweight ramps like your trailors, an easy fix could be found. let me know if I can help in any way.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
So has anyone come up with a "Chin Guard" yet for these cars? The day I buy my car, I want to have IN hand the Chin guard, so that I can protect my front facia investment. I will install it RIGHT there in the showroom floor if need be.

How about the diffuser? Is it easily removable? Like do I really need it on the car, for daily driving? Take it off, and install it when I go to the track. or drag strip.

Some please let me know.

Jon

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The driveway isn't my problem.... It's all the damn speed bumps they have in the parking lots in NC. Lately the smaller bumps have been upgraded with walkways and my neighbor when he drove over it with his Viper scraped going up and coming down. You could here him screaming miles away!

Kill the speedbumps!

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
as a temporary solution can you use two 2 by 8 foot wood planks when you pull the car in and out of the driveway?

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
FWIW my Viper scrapes everywhere and all the time, really pisses me off! Sure I'm gonna have to repaint at some time but not that big a deal considering you really can't see the scrapes unless you crawl under the front fascia.

I've been very pleased at how much clearance my GT has in comparison. They are both very low but the I think the GT's nose isn't as long, and the front splitter isn't as close to the ground.

That being said I have scraped my front left splitter once. Didn't tear it up as much as rough it up. Don't laugh, and let me know if you think this would work. I'm thinking about taking a wet handkerchief and an iron, and trying to smooth out that rough spot by heating it up through the moist hankie. I've repaired some other flat plastic with this method.

Do you think I'm nuts? :biggrin

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
MAD IN NC said:
The driveway isn't my problem.... It's all the damn speed bumps they have in the parking lots in NC. Lately the smaller bumps have been upgraded with walkways and my neighbor when he drove over it with his Viper scraped going up and coming down. You could here him screaming miles away!

Kill the speedbumps!

Hey.. so where in NC do you live? R U an X viper owner?

And would someone please answer my question, is there a front facia guard that can be bought? And can the rear diffusers be temp removed when just street driving?

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I have yet to have a problem to with clearance...My viper scrapes getting out of the drive way..just on the bottom lip but the GT has no issues..I also back into my driveway.

I have heard of some people having to have a contractor come out and level off their driveway to get clearance with other cars..may be your only solution.

2002 - Heres your answer since no one has answered it yet.

..NO there is no chin guard on the market and to put one on would require drilling holes in the chin.

No you can't remove the splitters without drilling out the rivets that hold them to the belly pan or removing the belly pan which isn't recommended.

Matt

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Just dropped into my neighborhood Ford Dealer, the one I actually bought my GT from to look up the part number and cost of replacing the diffusers or putting on in storage against future damage. Well the diffusers come attached to a bottom belly plate, guess the price of these fiber glass Venturi wind channel diffusers/belly pan protector unit ...........???? Any idea how much???

Ford Part # 106B08

Oh, how's about $1255.00. :ack Looks like I am going to be buying some replacement parts or convince the wife to move to a flat driveway house!

Gonna modify my trailer ramps to get a better entrance angle. :frown

Last edited:

Rong

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2006
Simple solution

It has become apparent that we all immediately need to buy a second GT as a parts vehicle to insure that we can keep our cars pristine and always on the road. This plan would decrease the supply of cars available, raise the value of our GT's and essentially pay for itself :banana

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Rong

That is an excellent idea! I am not sure my wife would believe it though! :thumbsdow

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I like the idea Rong

I figure after she sucessfully divorces me, I can still have a GT!

:cheers

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
427Aggie said:
I have yet to have a problem to with clearance...My viper scrapes getting out of the drive way..just on the bottom lip but the GT has no issues..I also back into my driveway.

I have heard of some people having to have a contractor come out and level off their driveway to get clearance with other cars..may be your only solution.

2002 - Heres your answer since no one has answered it yet.

..NO there is no chin guard on the market and to put one on would require drilling holes in the chin.

No you can't remove the splitters without drilling out the rivets that hold them to the belly pan or removing the belly pan which isn't recommended.

Matt

Thanks Matt..

Was beginning to think my font was invisible, and only viewable by me :) Hell even Mad in NC my home town, doesnt answer me :(