Driver door handle release issue

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hey guys, has anyone experienced a door handle problem? My driver side handle on occasion will not release/open the door. When I reach outside and hit the button opener it works fine. Just wondering if anyone else has has a similar issue. I hate tearing things apart unless it's absolutely necessary!
BD40

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
We've had no problems at all with the doors (once we learned to maneuver around tops of them). Handles have never given us any trouble.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I know when my car gets really hot IE sitting in the sun burn your back when you sit down since the windows are up type hot. When I go to exit the vehicle and squeeze the handle you need more effort and it does not open until the last bit. Now I have not ever had to reach outside to open it via the button but its been close.

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
Mine does it too.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
bigdan40 said:
Hey guys, has anyone experienced a door handle problem? My driver side handle on occasion will not release/open the door. When I reach outside and hit the button opener it works fine.

I had the same problem, one overnight stay at the dealer took care of it though...

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
tmcphail, you described it perfectly except I've had to reach outside a couple of times to open her up. Granted I also did not want to squeeze the inner release handle to tightly for fear of breaking it. I can't say the temp has had anything to do with it but I'll keep an eye on that as well, it's just starting to get warm here in the northeast.

Vince, good advice regarding the seal but I don't think that would help my situation! The striker might be a better place to look or it just might be something behind the door panel. I'm curious to see if many others are having this issue. Usually a charecteristic of a car is common among the greater percentage for the parts are all identical. If a vendor is off by a 1/16th of an inch it could cause us all headaches and sometimes these things slip through QC (quality control). My guess is that a lot of guys are having a similar issue.

Carrot, what is yours doing precisely? Same as mine?

Thanks...BD40

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
abolfaz said:
I had the same problem, one overnight stay at the dealer took care of it though...

What was the remedy abolfaz?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Mine is directly related to temperature. But it doesnt bother me at the moment. Then again I haven't had to reach outside

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Stuck

Mine stuck the other day and I thought I was locked in. I'd like to know what's wrong so I can fix it.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
bigdan40 said:
What was the remedy abolfaz?

cable adjustment...

GTMark

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
Mine is a problem from time to time - need to squeeze hard to open, other times its fine. Only once did I have to reach outside and push the electronic button opener which indicates its probably not the way the door is fitting, more likely to be a cable issue. I was going to wait until first service to get Ford to take a look.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I had this exact problem. It was only on my passenger door, and over the first three months of ownership/2,000 miles I had squeeze harder and harder to get the door to release. Actually it was usually a friend or my wife trying to get out, and they kept thinking it was locked.

Anyway, when I went in for my first service I had them adjust the door, both the release handle and the frame/striker area. It was very quick (they also adjusted my driver's door slightly and changed the oil -- all in about three hours) and it's been fine ever since. All free of charge of course (even the oil change, because the first one is free at Santa Monica Ford if you bought your car there). :thumbsup

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I'm going to have the guys at the plant fix my passenger door at the rally in Detroit :thumbsup

Last edited:

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
I have the same problem with my GT. The door needs to be realigned at the dealership. I got stuck inside the car. Freightening experience.

leon

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
It's official, I can't get out of my @%&*$ing car using the inside handle. Funny thing is when I get in my car in the garage when it's out of the sun it works fine. I take it for a short ride and it works okay. I go for a long ride and it just won't open. Tmcphail is right, it has to do with heat. I'm sure it's only a cable adjustment but everyone should keep am eye out for this, none of us want to get caught in an emergency situation and have to use the outside popper to get out.

bigdan40 said:
tmcphail, you described it perfectly except I've had to reach outside a couple of times to open her up. Granted I also did not want to squeeze the inner release handle to tightly for fear of breaking it. I can't say the temp has had anything to do with it but I'll keep an eye on that as well, it's just starting to get warm here in the northeast.

Vince, good advice regarding the seal but I don't think that would help my situation! The striker might be a better place to look or it just might be something behind the door panel. I'm curious to see if many others are having this issue. Usually a charecteristic of a car is common among the greater percentage for the parts are all identical. If a vendor is off by a 1/16th of an inch it could cause us all headaches and sometimes these things slip through QC (quality control). My guess is that a lot of guys are having a similar issue.

Carrot, what is yours doing precisely? Same as mine?

Thanks...BD40

I have the same problem, sometimes with both doors.

JT

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
My driver's door does it when it's hot. I haven't been trapped yet, so I'll just have them look at it next time I have it in for service.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
bigdan40 said:
Hey guys, has anyone experienced a door handle problem? My driver side handle on occasion will not release/open the door. When I reach outside and hit the button opener it works fine. Just wondering if anyone else has has a similar issue. I hate tearing things apart unless it's absolutely necessary!
BD40
I too had this issue on the drivers door.
While in Detroit last week, Saleen replace the drivers door mechanism, all is now well. The replacement took only about a half hour. This should be a warranty replacement item.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
While at Saleen I asked about the difficult opening doors. It appears a new machanism was installed in late 05 and 06 cars. No recall but if they really get difficult I guess the dealer will upgrade them.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
had the same problem today after the run to SB...after it cooled down it worked..what is the solution?