Drive with A/C

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Has anyone been driving with the A/C on with any regularity?
Here in the Northeast I haven't had much opportunity, but I am curious if anyone has noticed any significant change in performance.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here in Texas, A/C on all the time.

No noticeale performance change, too busy enjoying the ride.
I love this thing!!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A/C on half the time here in FL. No difference noticable with the butt dyno.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Constantly hot in NC. So AC on all the time. Cabin has a tendency to heat up with lots of throttle. I suspect the AC is only pulling a few Horses. No obvious change in performance. I will track the car in a month, so I will let you know more then.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
Spirit said:
Here in Texas, A/C on all the time.

No noticeale performance change, too busy enjoying the ride.
I love this thing!!

Spirit, where are you located? I'm in SW Austin, near Dripping Springs...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I am reliably told that having the A/C on full time is actually better for the A/C system - keeping certain rubber components supple etc - than leaving it off. So mine's always on low - sometime to cold, but most of the time to a normal temperature.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Here in (it's a dry heat) Arizona, AC is a MUST!
We have changed a few things - added a Ford racing exhaust, computer remapping, throttle body and injector work - AC is cool, cool, cool. No noticable difference in performance with AC on or off. But with the hip new sound of the engine, we'd rather drive with the windows down, too bad that's not an option for another 4 months.
Mrs. Blue Moose

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
When you say "Ford Racing Exhaust", which one are you referring to? There's the Borla-made one which is "simply" a muffler replacement and then there's the header/ racing muffler(s) version which I've heard is quite loud. If you have the later one, I'm curious if you think it is too loud.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Nota4re -
We have the Borla exhaust replacing the muffler because the headers would have changed too much of the appearance (we wanted to keep the stock appearance). Also, don't know if the headers would have made it any louder since the factory headers are quite close to after-market headers, and we understand they flow just fine. What we changed was the exhaust to lessen the restriction on the muffler. The system we have now is a perfect balance of sound between the blower whine and the exhaust note. FYI, the muffler retains much of the stock appearance, but mostly reduces weight by almost 30 pounds.
Mrs. Blue Moose

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
getbit said:
Spirit, where are you located? I'm in SW Austin, near Dripping Springs...
Sorry for being so long in responding, but have been out of town for the past week.
I am located outside of Boerne.
Once I get myself back settled in from this latest trip, let's get together.
Regards,