Drill Baby Drill

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
so i drilled four 2.25" holes (two per side) into my stock air box and have effectively doubled the cfm coming into the air box now :biggrin i decided to drill into the front of the airbox as opposed to the bottom, as the bottom of the airbox gets way hotter than the front. we shall see here in about two weeks how much more rwhp and rwtq this gives me on a dynojet. i also installed Bigger fuel injectors too. they are size 47's :thumbsup i need to get some more of the trim rings to insert into the holes as i only have two. MTV8 if you are reading this, tell me where to get more as i took all the ones from my desk that i had :lol

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Won't that air be very hot?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ - hot air is better than no air....

apparently my 4.0L Whipple can suck more air than my clamshell and airbox can deliver :willy

a 100 shot of nitrous into the upper portion of the airbox post filters via a dry nitrous kit will cool things down just a bit as nitrous comes out of the bottle at - 125 degrees below zero :biggrin

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Chemical intercooling at its finest.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Nice work, Too bad you are doing two things at once. You wont really be able to claim that the added holes really showed an increase in HP since you also increased the injector size at the same time. Nice detail with the trim rings.:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm looking forward to the results as I have a spare airbox to drill too!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Nice work, Too bad you are doing two things at once. You wont really be able to claim that the added holes really showed an increase in HP since you also increased the injector size at the same time. Nice detail with the trim rings.:thumbsup

sorry dude - but you would be wrong about that :lol my stock size 38 injectors were already maxed out at 100% injector duty cycle despite the two JMS boost-a-pumps being set on their max settings. my A/F ratio was 12:1 and should be the same or richer (richer would make less power) when i get a retune from Torrie this time around on the same fuel with the same spark plugs gapped the same, so....

unfortunately i don't have accurate boost data from my last dyno session in which to compare to. if my boost were to go up 4 lbs then the motor is making more power regardless of what the rwhp/rwtq says as different dyno's can be manipulated to read different. and with that said what will be different though is that i am gonna dyno on two different dynojets in two different cities which reside at different elevations at two different times of the year with different air temp's, humidity and barometric pressure. the last dyno i did was done on a dynojet in LA in March. this month i will be on a dynojet in Phoenix. at the end of the day what matters more to me is how fast i go at Mojave this year.

my GT aint no dyno queen. i do my racing on the track :wink but you and anybody else can do all the bench racing you want on the keyboard....

Last edited:

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Awesome, Cant wait to see the results.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I often thought that was the cure for the collapsing rubber duct between the air box and throttle body.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
looking forward to the results freddy, I also cut holes in the air box cant tell if it helped any tho, but im going a different direction now.

get-attachment-24.aspx.jpg

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
That's the ole viper style setup... I can promise you that will allow hot air in but it always wins the "cool" look factor award!!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There is enough room under the stock air box to cut openings on the bottom near the ends and plumb a vent into the area behind the rear wheels just to either side of the muffler (and on top of the frame horns). I would think this would be fairly easily to do.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
looking forward to the results freddy, I also cut holes in the air box cant tell if it helped any tho, but im going a different direction now.

View attachment 30173

that is the best looking aftermarket intake i have seen to date :thumbsup

where are you gonna inject your nitrous at now and are you doing a dry kit or a wet kit?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
that is the best looking aftermarket intake i have seen to date :thumbsup

where are you gonna inject your nitrous at now and are you doing a dry kit or a wet kit?

nitrous and fuel are both injected below the super charger via spray bars,(wet kit) I placed the spray bars below the rotors in the sc case. the car now has bigger injectors and a fresh motor and we are about to put the 3 inch pulley on the 4L, but we also have added two new inline fuel pumps and a surge tank, so hopfully this time it wont run out of fuel we'll see soon enough, but Im interested to see how yours does, cause its basically the same set up you may be running a dry kit, and you may not have the secondary fuel set up but it should still make over 1000hp. how much are you going to spray? and where is the nozzle?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
100 shot with two nozzles just like my camaro has. One nozzle on each side of the airbox in the front on the GT though. The camaro has each nozzle on the side of the airbox. Will stil be using 2 NOS powershot solenoids....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There is enough room under the stock air box to cut openings on the bottom near the ends and plumb a vent into the area behind the rear wheels just to either side of the muffler (and on top of the frame horns). I would think this would be fairly easily to do.

Have you checked out the Cold Air Intake from the GT Guy, LLC

http://www.thegtguy.com/GTG/store#tabs-3

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Why is the GTG setup more peripheral and deeper?

View attachment 30173

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
so i drilled four 2.25" holes (two per side) into my stock air box and have effectively doubled the cfm coming into the air box now :biggrin i decided to drill into the front of the airbox as opposed to the bottom, as the bottom of the airbox gets way hotter than the front. we shall see here in about two weeks how much more rwhp and rwtq this gives me on a dynojet. i also installed Bigger fuel injectors too. they are size 47's :thumbsup i need to get some more of the trim rings to insert into the holes as i only have two. MTV8 if you are reading this, tell me where to get more as i took all the ones from my desk that i had :lol

Same reason I cut the holes in the front. Seems like they should draw in cooler air than the bottom or back of the airbox. You should be able to pick up those trim rings at any hardware store.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
freddy how much boost are you running? you might be at the max for the pumps, even with boostapumps.... but I could be wrong!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
freddy how much boost are you running? you might be at the max for the pumps, even with boostapumps.... but I could be wrong!

my boost gauge does not work and the one on the dyno didn't work either. i will be back on a dyno at the end of this month and will know then. i am running a 3.75" pulley.

i won't be putting the nitrous on until next year though....