Draining engine and supercharger coolant

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What pressure is the Coolant system at?

I would have guessed 14 lbs or so as most systems seem to be in that range.

If the fumoto drains stay functional being screwed into a Diesel work truck at 14-15 lbs, I would venture if our pressure is the same they would hold for us too.

But your advice to research more is good.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I called the company and asked it the valves would hold 50 PSI and they say yes even more. The ball is SS and the seal is nylon. They say it is ok for the coolant system. Now to figure out the sizes. Look for their website rather than eBay to see all the thread sizes. I'm thinkig of atleast one for the oil tank because it is a bitch to get mine out and not slop the place up. A plastic hose can be slipped right on the valve. I will have to look at the block coolant drains. That might be a good application too. It would be a way to blow air back through the water jacket and maybe purge the low lines between the radiator.

Have fun.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I called the company and asked it the valves would hold 50 PSI and they say yes even more. The ball is SS and the seal is nylon. They say it is ok for the coolant system. Now to figure out the sizes. Look for their website rather than eBay to see all the thread sizes. I'm thinkig of atleast one for the oil tank because it is a bitch to get mine out and not slop the place up. A plastic hose can be slipped right on the valve. I will have to look at the block coolant drains. That might be a good application too. It would be a way to blow air back through the water jacket and maybe purge the low lines between the radiator.
Have fun.

Interesting. Thanks for chasing that down

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Interesting. When you find out please let us know the part numbers.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Interesting. When you find out please let us know the part numbers.

+1

Thanks for following up on that.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
And FYI- if anyone is draining their system to go to straight water for improved cooling as I did, I found that draining the s/c via the heat exchanger left enough anti-freeze in the system for +10 deg F, but draining the engine circuit by the radiator and engine block plugs left no freeze protection. I had to add back about 3/4 gal of 100% anti-freeze to get +20F protection (it's still Feb here after all).

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
What pressure is the Coolant system at?

I would have guessed 14 lbs or so as most systems seem to be in that range.

I believe the stock caps have 16 psi vents.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks.

The math indicates they should work.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Going to change out the coolant this week. So, a couple of questions:

Draining the block: removal of block plugs looks to be straight forward. On reinstall, what is the recommended thread seal?

Adding the quick drain valves to the block: has the part number for these been determined?

Any other new tips/tricks for this process not already discussed?

Thanks in advance.

DJ

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I too would be interested in the quick drain valves for the engine coolant if anyone figured this out.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I used a run of the mill pipe thread sealer. Nothing special. And you could use any reasonable quality brass petcock drain valve, just look at the radiator drains, you can get those anywhere. Yea, it's a Ford GT but its still just a drain.