Double DIN dash for radio/nav/backup cam

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I'm thinking of getting a custom housing made in place of the factory radio's, it will be sized in double DIN with the starter button relocated to the left, and the cigarette lighter and air bag button relocated to the right of the unit. Unit will be covered in the same material as the dash or leather similar to the seats. Want to see if there're a few people that will go in with me to reduce my cost. I got an initial cost estimate from my stereo guy of around $1000 for this custom piece and hope with a few of you going into this with me, I can get a discount becuase the first custom mold is the most expensive.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Actually, I was going to get together with one of my friends and see if we could develope one as well. I would love to see what you concept may look like. If it looks factory, then I may be in. I rather just pay and have it done instead of sit there and use my GT as a test mule.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
HeritageBruce said:
I'm thinking of getting a custom housing made in place of the factory radio's, it will be sized in double DIN with the starter button relocated to the left, and the cigarette lighter and air bag button relocated to the right of the unit. Unit will be covered in the same material as the dash or leather similar to the seats. Want to see if there're a few people that will go in with me to reduce my cost. I got an initial cost estimate from my stereo guy of around $1000 for this custom piece and hope with a few of you going into this with me, I can get a discount becuase the first custom mold is the most expensive.

I'm interested...

djimenez

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2006
Mexico
me 2

I'm intrested.

Mighty Noid

Oct 26, 2006
HeritageBruce said:

This would be less expensive than this route.

http://www.gtx1.com/images/optionpics/IMG_4013.JPG

$6800.00

http://www.gtx1.com/images/optionpics/DSCF2555.JPG

but I am sure that they throw the radio in as well.

This is from the GTX1 site.

hboyle2003

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
I would be interested if it is done fairly soon. Otherwise I will go with the single din install with a backup camera. Man, it is hard to see behind you....

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Keep an eye out for my post in a few days. I already have a 7" Nav installed with backup camera and mp3 player option. Just haven't had time to post w/ pictures and detail descriptions. The install is so clean and not expensive at all.... Stay tuned.....

Mighty Noid

Oct 26, 2006
HeritageBruce said:
Keep an eye out for my post in a few days. I already have a 7" Nav installed with backup camera and mp3 player option. Just haven't had time to post w/ pictures and detail descriptions. The install is so clean and not expensive at all.... Stay tuned.....
If you can let me know soon... I have to change out the radio for the upcoming CES show in Vegas.

Thanks

Mighty Noid

Oct 26, 2006
Any update on this as of yet???

Pictures???

:banana

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
See my other thread Naviagation and Backup Camera Install.