Door panel removal

Cobraguy

GT Owner
The rubber cover on my driver's side exterior door switch is cracking with age/usage....I have a new switch ready to install but I'd appreciate some info on the proper panel removal procedure. A search of previous posts is unclear..... Would someone mind PM-ing me the instructions? Thanks in advance!

Aug 25, 2006
The rubber cover on my driver's side exterior door switch is cracking with age/usage....I have a new switch ready to install but I'd appreciate some info on the proper panel removal procedure. A search of previous posts is unclear..... Would someone mind PM-ing me the instructions? Thanks in advance!

Good afternoon

Did you get the information requested, if not I will be glad to help.

Takes care

Shadowman

Cobraguy

GT Owner
No I did not.....seems like a minor project but as always I'd like to do my homework first. I'd appreciate a short pm.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd also appreciate a short PM. Thanks in advance.

Aug 25, 2006
I will share the "how to" tomorrow; FYI the door panel does not need to be removed to replace the switches.

Good night

Shadowman

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Good afternoon

Let's begin with the original question; how to access the door switches to service them.

The door panel "does not" need to be removed, all that is required is the removing of the aluminum trim ring. This is a simple snap into place piece that is easy to remove with a very low risk of secondary damage.

If you look under the upper portion of the aluminum trim ring you will see a few openings in the hard plastic door shell. Use a flashlight and lookwithin the openings and you will see the trim ring tabs poking through, i always begin at an outer corner. If you use a broad blade screw driver or flat piece of wood you can place it behind the tip of the tab and leverage it outward; a teeter tauter process, it does not take much pressure. Once you press one corner partially out then using your fingers on the outside of the trim ring begin pulling the trim ring as you migrate around the perimeter of it and then "wholla" it will pop off.

Once the aliminum trim ring is removed all of the switches are accessible. One note to share, if you need to service an inside switch you will need to remove the outer one first. FYI they are simply pressed into place with little tension as such are easy to remove. The electrical connector needs to be released, you will a all pick tool to press into the small opening at the base of the switch, if you use the pick tool with modest pressure while pulling in the connecter it will release easily.

I hope this helps; more on the actual door panel removal later.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Good afternoon

Let's begin with the original question; how to access the door switches to service them.

The door panel "does not" need to be removed, all that is required is the removing of the aluminum trim ring. This is a simple snap into place piece that is easy to remove with a very low risk of secondary damage.

If you look under the upper portion of the aluminum trim ring you will see a few openings. Use a flashlight and looking within you will see the trim ring tabs poking through, if you use a broad blade screw driver or flat piece of wood you can place it behind the tip of the tab and leverage it outward; a teeter tauter process, it does not take much pressure. Once you press one corner partially out then using your fingers on the outside of the trim ring begin pulling the trim ring as you migrate around the perimeter of it and then "wholla" it will pop off.

Once the aliminum trim ring is removed all of the switches are accessible. One note to share, if you need to service an inside switch you will need to remove the outer one first. FYI they are simply pressed into place with little tension as such are easy to remove. The electrical connector needs to be released, you will a all pick tool to press into the small opening at the base of the switch, if you use the pick tool with modest pressure while pulling in the connecter it will release easily.

I hope this helps; more on the actual door panel removal later.

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks for taking the time Shadowman....sounds like a 10 minute task.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Awesome. I want to pull the entire panel, so I'll look forward to the update info forthcoming!