Door not closing properly??

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
OK, so I can shut the doors on my car, the door just needs to be shut FIRMLY. No problem. But then my buddy gets a GT. :banana His doors shut nice and easy. So, a couple of concerns, but whatever, maybe mine's still "toight" since it's got fewer miles. :wink

Then another buddy gets a GT (these things are ADDICTIVE!!!), :banana:bananaand his doors shut easier than mine too. Now I'm thinking maybe my doors are out a bit. :frown They don't hang funny, they're just a bit tougher to close. It's not 'slamming the door' hard, just a lot harder than their cars. :ack

What do I do to fix this? Is there an adjustment pin?

Thanks in advance.

Pro

Gill Jr.

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2007
Orange County, CA
If it is any consolation my driver's door closes rather easily, but you have to lightly "slam" the passenger door. At least they both close A LOT easier than the clamshell!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Sounds like your door latch was installed a wee bit "off". Moving the latch (receiver?) outward a smidge on it's post (IOW, away from the car's centerline) will pbly fix that.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If it is in the swing of the door lube the hinges. I like Wurth HHS 2000. If it is in the last few inches of closing then check the top of the door pockets. There may be a drag created between the pockets and the alignment spades. Adjusting the spades for proper clearance will fix that. This was a problem area on my car. The next stop would be at the door latch. Also is it possible that your weatherstripping is giving more resistance to closing.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Sounds like your door latch was installed a wee bit "off". Moving the latch (receiver?) outward a smidge on it's post (IOW, away from the car's centerline) will pbly fix that.

Thanks EP. Is it easy to do or should I ask the mechanic when he's doing my pulley? (well, I wouldn't ask him RIGHT when he's doing the pulley! :lol)

What a wealth of information you are. Why is it again you sold your GT? You did sell it right? I hope, like Mr. Clemons said about Andy Pettite, that I didn't 'mis-remember'? Do you still get to go to the Rally's even though it's gone? I, for one, would like to meet you sometime. :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
If it is in the last few inches of closing then check the top of the door pockets. There may be a drag created between the pockets and the alignment spades. Adjusting the spades for proper clearance will fix that. This was a problem area on my car. The next stop would be at the door latch.

Given the way it closes, I'd say it's one of these. I first noticed it when I took my little guy for a ride (he's 5 and he now wants an all black no stripe car so that he can take his daddy for drives!! :thumbsup). Anyway, the door would shut but it almost seemed like it was hitting the seat belt (that sort of feel that 'can't' close). No seat belt issues, so it was just tight.

Do you have any pictures (they really are worth a thousand words) of what you had done?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks EP. Is it easy to do or should I ask the mechanic when he's doing my pulley? (well, I wouldn't ask him RIGHT when he's doing the pulley! :lol)

What a wealth of information you are. Why is it again you sold your GT? You did sell it right? I hope, like Mr. Clemons said about Andy Pettite, that I didn't 'mis-remember'? Do you still get to go to the Rally's even though it's gone? I, for one, would like to meet you sometime. :cheers

Has anyone ever met Pockets..... line up on the right side of the room please:lol:banana:willy:banana:lol

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
do you have your window open? you never know

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Has anyone ever met Pockets..... line up on the right side of the room please:lol:banana:willy:banana:lol

:lol :rofl :lol So EP gets as much mileage as his GT did?? :wink

do you have your window open? you never know

Does that make a difference (beyond air tight seals pressure)? I'll try it with the other door open to see if that makes a difference.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Only a v-e-r-y few...as in "five". And even THEY can't swear that the person they met was actually me. I'm not above using a "ringer", ya know.

Thanks EP. Is it easy to do or should I ask the mechanic when he's doing my pulley?

I shouldn't imagine 'twould be any different than any other door latch...but, The GT Guy, or Shadowman, etc., would know far more about that (and any OTHER GT question!) than I. (If I had my GT sittin' here I could take a look and tell ya...but...uh...ya see...I uh...that is........................)

Reactions: skyrex

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
Had the same problem. Loosen the striker on the door piller slightly, close and then reopen the door, then retighten the screws holding the striker. This worked for me.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
:lol :rofl :lol So EP gets as much mileage as his GT did??
Does that make a difference (beyond air tight seals pressure)? I'll try it with the other door open to see if that makes a difference.

I did mean the air seal, not trying to be cute, just thought it would be good to cover all bases.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Given the way it closes, I'd say it's one of these. I first noticed it when I took my little guy for a ride (he's 5 and he now wants an all black no stripe car so that he can take his daddy for drives!! :thumbsup). Anyway, the door would shut but it almost seemed like it was hitting the seat belt (that sort of feel that 'can't' close). No seat belt issues, so it was just tight.

Do you have any pictures (they really are worth a thousand words) of what you had done?

Sorry, no pictures. Just look at the top of the door as you close it slowly. You can see, feel, hear if there is resistance at that point.

AJK

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
If it is any consolation my driver's door closes rather easily, but you have to lightly "slam" the passenger door. At least they both close A LOT easier than the clamshell!

Same on my car. I was going to try and adjust the "forks" but seems like the last owner already tried because the torx screws are stripped. :ack

on my to do list next time the car goes in

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

I used to have to slam my clamshell. I cringed everytime as the entire shell, glass and vents would shudder and shake. Kendall & Ryan fixed it in a matter of about 3 minutes with 2 small washers under the latch.

Now I merely press down on the shell with both hands and it locks into place. :thumbsup

xraygt

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2006
where do washers go if you can describe it thanks my clamshell is tough to close

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
xray-

What we did with Aloha's car is to put two small washers underneath the latch mechanism on the driver's side (the passenger side closed fine).

If you want to do the same on one or both sides, place some blue painter's tape along one edge of the latch and mark the exact location of the latch with respect to the mounting plate. You want to do this to insure that you can re-orient the latch to its original location. After marking it to your satisfaction, remove the two screws and nuts. Place a small washer (stainless steel preferred) under the latch and re-assemble, and re-orient to your previous marks.

Note that this technique will effectively resolve minor mis-adjustments. If you place too much thickness (i.e., multiple washers) under the latch, you could cause the front edge of the clamshell to be adjusted above the roofline.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
I used to have to slam my clamshell. I cringed everytime as the entire shell, glass and vents would shudder and shake. Kendall & Ryan fixed it in a matter of about 3 minutes with 2 small washers under the latch.

Now I merely press down on the shell with both hands and it locks into place. :thumbsup
I did the same right after I bought mine(SLAMMING FROM 1FT UP WAS TOO MUCH FOR MY NERVES TO HANDLE)and works great....just press gently and it locks into place everytime!:banana

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
xray-

What we did with Aloha's car is to put two small washers underneath the latch mechanism on the driver's side (the passenger side closed fine).

If you want to do the same on one or both sides, place some blue painter's tape along one edge of the latch and mark the exact location of the latch with respect to the mounting plate. You want to do this to insure that you can re-orient the latch to its original location. After marking it to your satisfaction, remove the two screws and nuts. Place a small washer (stainless steel preferred) under the latch and re-assemble, and re-orient to your previous marks.

Note that this technique will effectively resolve minor mis-adjustments. If you place too much thickness (i.e., multiple washers) under the latch, you could cause the front edge of the clamshell to be adjusted above the roofline.

I did the same right after I bought mine(SLAMMING FROM 1FT UP WAS TOO MUCH FOR MY NERVES TO HANDLE)and works great....just press gently and it locks into place everytime!:banana

never thought about slamming it down but now you guys are making me nervous, looks like I have to do this too. thanks,

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
never thought about slamming it down but now you guys are making me nervous, looks like I have to do this too. thanks,

I'm crazy about all of the mods on my car from bumper delete to Whipple to CF but this simple fix is :thumbsup.