Does your GT feel fast?

agentf1

Oct 21, 2005
I know this sounds like a stupid question but my buddy thinks his C6 Z06 feels faster than his GT. I think it is how the power is delivered. I have a SC'd Lightning and it does not have great throttle response but pulls like a #$#% #$%. What are your thoughts on this? Is it the way the power is delivered or the different gearing that makes it not feel as fast as something like the Z06? I know I thought the same thing about the Viper GTS when I drove one and compared it to the Z06 but it is clearly the 3.08 rear in the GTS that makes it misleading. The SOTP is not always the best guage for performance.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
The owners I've talked to state that the car is made so incredibly well that it doesn't feel like you're going fast. If you've ever driven a race go-kart at 60mph you know how fast that feels, MUCH faster than a car going to 60mph, but yet 60mph is 60mph no matter what. Does that make sense at all?

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
What a question?

Get on a track, use your right foot untill you get lap times. :eek

My '66 Mini FEELS fast...but it's not.

It's all in the power delivery. The torquey GT does'nt have the 'hit' of peaky
engines.

G.

PS: Love my GT and it feels fast all the time! :thumbsup

Last edited:

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
agentf1 said:
I know this sounds like a stupid question but my buddy thinks his C6 Z06 feels faster than his GT.

What are your thoughts on this?

Then it is faster than his GT...

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Look at the torque curve of the GT. When I have been in other turbo boosted cars and when the turbo hits it feels like warp speed. The GT power is very very smooth, so there is no the sudden change of acceleration as in other vehicles.

agentf1

Oct 21, 2005
50 BMG said:
Then it is faster than his GT...
Not neccessarily true. Like with the case of the Viper, the taller gearing makes it feel slower when driving on the street but on the strip the Viper usually wins. The cars seem to be neck to neck up to 100 mph and then the Viper takes the lead but yet the Z feels faster or should I say torquier. (sp?)

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
agentf1 said:
I know this sounds like a stupid question but my buddy thinks his C6 Z06 feels faster than his GT. I think it is how the power is delivered. I have a SC'd Lightning and it does not have great throttle response but pulls like a #$#% #$%. What are your thoughts on this? Is it the way the power is delivered or the different gearing that makes it not feel as fast as something like the Z06? I know I thought the same thing about the Viper GTS when I drove one and compared it to the Z06 but it is clearly the 3.08 rear in the GTS that makes it misleading. The SOTP is not always the best guage for performance.

stock for stock before i modded my viper or my vette my vette felt faster than my viper. of course this was not the case. but the lighter weight of the vette vs the viper coupled with the more aggressive trans and rear end gearing just made it feel that way. now that i have significantly more modz into my viper it feels faster. once i swap the stock 3.07 rear gearing on my viper for the set of 3.33's i have it will be more responsive.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i put 4.10 gears in both my lightning and my camaro and this really gave it the muscle for drag racin since they are quarter horses. with the GT its 3.36 rear gear is perfect for maxin out 5th gear, so i would just boost the motor till you put down 700 rwhp and this will give you that G-load acceleration that you are lookin for in gears 1-4. the GT like the viper is a thoroughbred :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Agentf1 and I have the same friend, and we apparently have had the same conversation with him. This mutual friend is quite knowledgeable about cars and has owned many.

He is concerned that his particular GT is demonstrably and palpably slower than his Z06, and he gives numerous examples in several contexts as to his disappointments.

I do not believe that this is an illusion and have wondered if his car is simply tuned incorrectly.

My GT throws me back in my seat and has really remarkable acceleration, far exceeding the Viper that preceded it (which had 3.55 aftermarket gears). His, by contrast seems (to him) to be very anemic. He is, without question, quite disappointed.

I have recommended that he have the car looked over by a competent GT tech and have it dyno'd. He knows the numbers on his Z06.

It is concerning enough that he is (strongly) considering dumping the car at 200 miles...and this (at least to me) is quite a statement.

- doc

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Have the guy do a 2nd or 3rd gear run in his GT on a "safe" venue next to a friend's GT. Then have him do the same thing with his Z06 and the same Friend's GT. This should shine some reality on his concerns to help determine if they are real or imagined.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
eshrink said:
He is concerned that his particular GT is demonstrably and palpably slower than his Z06

Isn't that easy to solve with one of those GPS-gagets that shows you 0-60, 1/4 mile times etc...??

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Big cube NA motors almost always feel quicker. My Z06 feels like it's going drastically quicker than it is. As cuda points out, the ultra smooth power delivery of the GT is what hides how fast its building speed.

Have him run the GT up to 205 and ask him which is faster :wink

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The issue was not whether it was faster but whether it was quicker.

My understanding is that top end has little interest to him.

He feels/fears that the car cannot compete with his `06 Z06 in the 0-60 world.

- doc

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
I think a simple device like the G-Force should be able to quickly and safely differentiate reality from impressions. But even if his Zo6 accelerates faster than his GT. there is a whole lot more to the GT experience than acceleration away from a stoplight. :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Everyone must select their own poison. If his subjective impressions are correct, then the GT is a disappointment since it is the off-the-line acceleration that appeals to him.

My understanding is that if the GT does not exceed the Z06 in this area, he will liquidate the GT and buy something else. This will be a very low mileage Tungsten if anyone is interested in the acquisition.

- doc

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would assume that your mutual friend is more interested in the pursuit of perceived quickness over the reality of quickness? My assumptions are;
1. There's really nothing wrong with the GT(*) and;
2. The Z06 feels quicker

Frankly, it is not that hard to understand the basis of his frustration.... it all has to do with the de-facto calibration of our butt dynos. The Z06 engine is one of the best engines in the world and the HP that GM is getting is truely remarkable. The Z06 engine along with the Z06 gearing is likely pulling stronger g's, albeit for shorter periods of time. The butt dyno is real good at detecting the g-forces. In most butt dyno "devices", the higher this perceived g-value is the broader the smile is on the display. However, as mentioned previously, the butt dynos are notoriously poor at appreciating a slightly lower peak g-force but with the trade-off of a longer, broader duration. If you were to plot the G-forces through an entire 1/4mile run, for example, and place the Z06 graph on the GT's graph you may notice a couple of differences. You may notice a couple of areas where the Z06 g's are higher than that of the GT. However, if calculated,you will likely see that the area under the curve of the GT is greater than the Z06 area. Result?
Zed feels quicker. (Graph peaks.)
GT is quicker. (Area under the curve).

(*) There's a small possibility that the GT in question is not operating up to peak performance due to the low mileage.

Facts: The GT ECU generally takes 100-200 miles to have successfully completed all of its defined tests for the first time. It keeps track of all of this stuff - and "knows" not all tests have been completed.

Hypothesis:
It is entirely possible that the GT ECU will not entertain peak performance parameters until all of its on-board testing has successfully completed at least once.

What you can do:
Any competent SCT-Programming shop can connect up to the ECU and validate that all tests have been successfully completed.

Also, either of you fine friends could volunteer to ride shotgun and watch the boost gauge under hard acceleration. If the ECU is happy with allof its tests being completed and the boost gauge shows "normal" boost levels, then it's simply a butt dyno problem. In this scenario the only real cure is to give rides only to people having completed a course in calculus and can therefore appreciate the area under the curve over what the butt dyno is saying.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
He's located at least ~750+ miles from me. Perhaps the other member is closer. He has a replacement program in his ECU.

I suspect that what he may want from the GT is not in its design. I do not know whether he will pursue modifications to make those dreams a reality or whether, as indicated, he will liquidate.

I have encouraged him to read this thread and perhaps he has or will after the 4th.

- doc

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Don't really know if it is true (it has been mentioned on the board), but don't forget that there may be the computer limitation in performance for the first 100 miles.

The other side of that is maybe the car needs a little break in AND computer break in - 200 miles is not a lot to got out for the street wars.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
eshrink said:
The issue was not whether it was faster but whether it was quicker.

"My buddy thinks his 06 Z06 feels faster".

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
The Z06 "feels" faster even though it is about the same in performance (slightly slower maybe). The FGT is just so stable and over-chassied that it doesn't feel like it is going anywhere, but it is.

Get the car to a dyno, anything else is more speculation. The "reprogram" could be an issue.

One thing though, the GT should be a tick quicker than a Z06, so if his is not, it just needs to be fixed. No need to sell the car, especially since a prospective buyer won't want to buy a car down on power either.