Does trailer winch need fairlead?

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
Since the FGT winching hook is offset, is a fairlead necessary on a center-mounted winch?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I have pulled the GT with a winch, into my trailer with the winch mounted dead center on the floor. I had no issues with it, although, I'm guessing if you want to be 100% safe, you'd want to pull straight rather than at a slight angle.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just winch it in, with out issues so far.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I have a center mounted winch too.
I use my thick leather gloves and try to 'lead' the cable to the right of the winch spool as I winch in the Vehicle . (right side when looking at the winch) so as to not let the cable 'pile up' on the left side of the spool and become 'bunched".
ajb (andy)

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
While on the subject of trailer winches,

I plan on installing a winch on my new trailer that is being built. Is a 3000lb winch sufficient for moving the GT onto the trailer with ease? I was thinking of installing this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q399RA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It looked like a pretty complete kit for the price and a good brand. Trailer comes with mount and battery tray, cables.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
3000 LBS is a bit low, considering that the car weighs more. I had to choose between a 3K and an 8k. I went with the 8k unit.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I was not planning to lift the car off the ground, or use it for off road recovery, just roll a car onto the trailer with a 5% incline. And while I am not trying to be a cheapskate, there is a significant difference in price that would be wasted if I don't need the capacity.

Then again, if someone has already 'been there and done that' and can lead me away from troubles, I want to learn from others experience.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mine is a 4k, pulls in no problem. In fact last week, was loading the car, it was dark and raining so was hurrying as the window was open to ajust steering angle, i did not get the ebrake off, still pulled it in.

Seank

Texas Mile Record Holder
Jun 2, 2011
Katy
We have a 4500lbs Warm Utility Winch in ours, comes with about 60 feet of cable. I see they have a 4700lbs now and don't carry the 4500lbs any more. I would just compare the gear ratio and HP. The rating is usually on the cable as if you use a pulley system you can double the capacity, but your gear ratio and HP might not be able to pull it. Below is a link to Warns site, you can find it elsewhere for cheaper.

http://www.warn.com/utility/dcwinches/DC4700.shtml

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Cooltech has a nice tow hook extension, that should keep the cable/strap away from the car.. I havent tried one, but would/will when I decide on a trailer.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Cooltech has a nice tow hook extension, that should keep the cable/strap away from the car.. I havent tried one, but would/will when I decide on a trailer.

Now that was a good idea! I ordered one!

Speaking of orders, I finally placed a factory order for a Kwikload rollback trailer. Aluminum deck, fenders and wheels, spare tire and mount, 3000# winch, 100Ahr battery with charger, Faring, full length side rails/tie downs, 4 wheel electric brakes with Tekonsha trailer mounted RF brake control, built in flush lid tool boxes, LED lights. Midnight Blue epoxy paint. Finished weight approx 1350lbs with a GVWR of 7000. Should be ready for pickup about May 15th. They suggested a few changes when I told them it was for a GT, having built several for this application in the past.

Last edited:

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Love to see some pictures of that trailer when it comes in.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Love to see some pictures of that trailer when it comes in.

Me to and the price.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I have a Superwinch S5000. Bought at Amazon. Easy install and was a great deal. 5000lb capacity.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I'll post pics when I get it. As for price, with the options it was just under 7k. You can see the trailers and how the rollback works at www.kwikload.com