ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

As I start loading up to head to GT Speed Day in Mojave I wondered if the two sealed 5 gallon cans of VP Racing C16 leaded gasoline I have are still OK or should I throw them out. They are at least a year old and maybe two years old plus I don't know how old they were when I bought them from the dealer. The cans have never been opened if that makes any difference. Does this stuff ever go bad and if so how long does it take? Thanks.

Chip

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I've been told they are fine for at least a year if they have been in a garage that isn't crazy hot.

Go to the VP site and there is a FAQ entry that says they have tested some that was 5-6? years old and it was fine.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Chip
I have been told it lasts almost indefinitely if sealed but I would just pour int your pickup truck to be safe.
As long as its unleaded,..assuming truck isn't diesel.
Truck will be less discriminating in its palate than GT.
I have also been told racing fuels usually have no stabilizer added so thats why I would not trust it.
I don't know if that is accurate but it's better safe than sorry.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Chip-
I side with Mullet on this. I think your C16 will be fine for your GT engine...

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip, I have been told it lasts almost indefinitely if sealed but I would just pour int your pickup truck to be safe. As long as its unleaded,..assuming truck isn't diesel.

C16 is loaded with lead so my GT (which is my only cat-less car) is the sole vehicle I can use it in. Great suggestion about looking on the VP web site. Thanks.

Chip

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Good Luck Chip and have a great time

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Considering what bad fuel can do to an engine, I would not use it if not 100% sure. I am sure you can find a home for it somewhere.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes

I have been known to pump out a lot of otherwise good fuel on my boat to not risk hurting the incredibly expensive motors.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
If in doubt just dump it in and leave it on your pump gas setting. It will be fine.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Maybe you can get someone at VP on the phone. In most cases I would say sealed in a can for 2 years it is OK, but in the AZ heat, ???

If you can't burn it in your car it is considered toxic waste by the EPA! :thumbsdow

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
If the fuel is in a metal can & out of extreme heat & sun I feel up to 1 year is ok. Plastic containers out of the sun I will go 3 months.

Ed

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
Depends on who you ask. Sunoco says their race fuel is good for 6 mos to a year with proper storage. 76 says with ideal conditions up to a year and a half.

Willow Springs raceway is less than 20 miles from Mojave and usually carries 110 VP but it's a good idea to call ahead.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Depends on who you ask. Sunoco says their race fuel is good for 6 mos to a year with proper storage. 76 says with ideal conditions up to a year and a half.

Willow Springs raceway is less than 20 miles from Mojave and usually carries 110 VP but it's a good idea to call ahead.

GTED sent me this info

Just spoke with Willow Spring, they sell 91 unleaded, 100 unleaded and 110 leaded; also, for Fridays, the fuel station is open until 10pm. Therefore, in the evening, we simply drive up to the gate and tell the guard we need to go in to get fuel.... 15 minutes from Mariah Country Inn.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Split the difference.

Gentlemen,

I bought two new 5 gallon cans of fresh VP C-16. I put one new can and one of my old cans in my GT's fuel tank. The sealed cans were in my air conditioned storage room so they should be good, especially when mixed 50/50 with brand new C-16. And if that doesn't work, I can always rebuild my motor again. :willy

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
GTED sent me this info

Just spoke with Willow Spring, they sell 91 unleaded, 100 unleaded and 110 leaded; also, for Fridays, the fuel station is open until 10pm.

Although octane is perhaps the most important attribute, you should also be asking about the brand of fuel that they are selling so that you can look up specific gravity and compare that to the specific gravity that your car was tuned with. In a nutshell, specific gravity differences will cause your car to run richer or leaner.

Regarding Tom's event on Saturday - We will have at least 15 gallons of C16 (leaded) fuel unspoken for if anyone is interested. I'll be there Friday afternoon to drop off fuel for Tom, Richard, and Rick and will bring the extra fuel with me.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Although octane is perhaps the most important attribute, you should also be asking about the brand of fuel that they are selling so that you can look up specific gravity and compare that to the specific gravity that your car was tuned with. In a nutshell, specific gravity differences will cause your car to run richer or leaner.

Regarding Tom's event on Saturday - We will have at least 15 gallons of C16 (leaded) fuel unspoken for if anyone is interested. I'll be there Friday afternoon to drop off fuel for Tom, Richard, and Rick and will bring the extra fuel with me.

Thanks Kendall, I'll see you Saturday!

Chip

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
GTED sent me this info

Just spoke with Willow Spring, they sell 91 unleaded, 100 unleaded and 110 leaded; also, for Fridays, the fuel station is open until 10pm. Therefore, in the evening, we simply drive up to the gate and tell the guard we need to go in to get fuel.... 15 minutes from Mariah Country Inn.

If your coming from the south the CHP has regular radar traps set up on 14 coming into Mojave!!