Dodge Challenger SRT8 with 6-speed manual

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Well, I finally got to drive a Dodge Challenger SRT8 with the pistol grip 6 speed manual...very, very cool car. Very light clutch. Closely spaced gearing, but I found it to have very easy shifter-clutch engagement. The car sits higher (on 20" wheels, I would probably do 19") than other similar american muscle cars, but the longer and harder I drove it, the more it seemed to hunker down. Last week, I drove the Ford Mustang 5.0. Definitely a better handling and lighter feeling car than the Challenger...but I must admit the Challenger feels a little more special. The steering is a little light but tends to develop more input the harder you drive it. The seats in the Challenger are first class, supple leather with a central alcantara insert, and very supportive. Interior is nice for this class of car. Touch screen nav audio system with Ipod/M3 connection superior to the nav system in my M3. And the sound of that V8...IMO it is at least as good as the 5.0. But, like most stock cars, I would replace the exhaust so I could hear it better.

I currently have a 2009 M3 with dual clutch transmission as my daily driver, and, while I love the transmission, I really want a 6 speed manual...the clutches in these modern cars are so light these days (just not a problem in traffic anymore IMO), and I simpy miss the control a manual transmission affords the driver.

That being said, the Challenger has a good size trunk but probably not practical enough for a daily driver for me. I will likely go with the CTS-V wagon with 6 speed manual. But I was impressed with the Dodge!! Now if only Ford made a high performance sedan with a 6 speed manual?? :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Have you driven the new Camaro SS?

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Not yet...it is on my to do list!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I haven't either, but I intend to. ALMOST everybody I know is a Chevy man, and a few of them have driven the car & have given it rave reviews...but, again, they're all Chevy people.

If I end up with one, it's going to arrive via SLP, Lingenfelter, Fesler-Moss or the like. But, FIRST I'm going to have to see what it's all about in stock form.

However, if Congressional Motors gets its corporate HEAD out of the sand and actually builds the Z/28 ('rumored 556 to 575 h.p.) - THAT'S what I'll order & I'll leave it stock. (Eeeeeeeeeh, mebbe 'cept for wheels...and a 'gooder' exhaust...and a slight lowering job...and...) (That's why I haven't actually checked the car out "on the road" yet. I've been waiting for the Z/28.)

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Like the Dodge, but too big and heavy. Just looked at the SS Camaro today. Nice, but cartoonish. Sorry, no GM for me ever again. I'll wait on the new Boss 302.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Base models @ 300hp arent bad for $22k, for a first car or GF

H

HHGT

I haven't either, but I intend to. ALMOST everybody I know is a Chevy man, and a few of them have driven the car & have given it rave reviews...but, again, they're all Chevy people.

If I end up with one, it's going to arrive via SLP, Lingenfelter, Fesler-Moss or the like. But, FIRST I'm going to have to see what it's all about in stock form.

However, if Congressional Motors gets its corporate HEAD out of the sand and actually builds the Z/28 ('rumored 556 to 575 h.p.) - THAT'S what I'll order & I'll leave it stock. (Eeeeeeeeeh, mebbe 'cept for wheels...and a 'gooder' exhaust...and a slight lowering job...and...) (That's why I haven't actually checked the car out "on the road" yet. I've been waiting for the Z/28.)

Pockets, since you won't drive the Z28 either, wouldn't be cheaper to keep it on the dealership's floor?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Pockets, since you won't drive the Z28 either, wouldn't be cheaper to keep it on the dealership's floor?

Uh huh, but, it'd get all those finger prints on it, and...

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Interesting article...I have to say that I agree. If performance is what you are after, then I would avoid the Challenger and opt for the 5.0 or Camaro...
http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-case-for-the-dodge-challenger-op-ed.html

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
There's an outfit called "The Speed Factory" ( www.speedfactorycars.com ) which is the performance division of Landmark Dodge-Chrys-Jeep near Atlanta. They build what they call the SF600R...powered by a bored & stroked 6.1, N.A., 623 h.p. (532 torque), 426 cu in Hemi...base price $69,950. They also offer the S/C SF700R based at around $84K if I remember right.

Mebbe ya might wanna look into wunna those just for ha-haz. (800-726-4044 last I heard.)

Also, "Mr. Norm" (Chicago) offers a 625 h.p., S/C 6.1 Hemi Challenger

http://www.mrnormsgarage.com/vehicles/super-challenger.html

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
EP gets the same auto rags I do. :biggrin

:thumbsup

I am guessing you did not subscribe to Superford though (Before Ford hating Peterson publishing bought it and killed it)

H

HHGT

Henessey had a beautifully built Challenger that they showed at BJ Orange County...