Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat: 707hp

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A couple of the major auto rags have driven the car but haven't published official performance figures. Some of the videos floating around show times that aren't very impressive. There is some angst that the numbers provided by Dodge can't be replicated. Given the exposure the car has received, it's worth noting that no videos showing a 11.2 second 1/4 mile run have surfaced yet.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As posted on the 2nd page of this thread... what does this car weigh??? Its a HUGE tank at approx. 4400 lbs. What almost a THOUSAND pounds more than our GT's (not comparing the 2 cars at all, just a reference as to how heavy it is). New M3 is listed at 3540 lbs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I think the car is cool, but it's definitely a tank. The good thing is, I don't think it's really pretending to be anything else. No car that weighs almost 4500 lbs and comes with an automatic transmission is going to have people dreaming of running the tail of the dragon. Hellcat weighs more than the 15' 4x2 Supercrew F150!

There's a lot of whining from SVT fans saying they need to "answer" the Hellcat. It's a totally different product from what SVT builds. The GT500 already turns what appears to be an identical MPH at the drag strip, but you're on your own shifting to get it to go fast. That's not gonna change any time soon. You can already tell that the results from Hellcat cars are going to vary wildly depending on configuration. Don't be surprised to see lots of guys running 12's on those 275s at the track with a manual.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Well said, Dave. C&D had the car doing 0-100 in just under 9 seconds with the auto, certainly fast, but really no better than a 13 GT500. Their summary concludes the Hellcat's forte really might be the street.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I must confess that the Leno video gave me a diffenrent opnion on the Challenger. I like it a lot - very true to classic muscle car idea of having way more power than you can actually use - and in a body not suited for anything else than stoplight racing on a saturday night ..... love the sound .... gotta have me one some day :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I like it too, especially in sublime metallic green. I need a bigger garage.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
My son (an insider) has seen it in the Charger.......I told him when they put a 200 body on it call me....be like the old prostock days

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My son (an insider) has seen it in the Charger.......I told him when they put a 200 body on it call me....be like the old prostock days

A "200 body" is only available in a 4dr, izzunit? 'Hardly like the ole prostocks!!! :willy :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Hellcat Challenger is not alone!

:eek Now, this is some kinda 4-door family car/grocery getter! :eek

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014...-srt-hellcat-can-hit-204-mph/?intcmp=features

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The Hellcat Challenger is not alone!

:eek Now, this is some kinda 4-door family car/grocery getter! :eek

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014...-srt-hellcat-can-hit-204-mph/?intcmp=features

Somehow I don't think you will ever drive one.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
"... ginormous 15.4-inch brakes, and 20-inch-wide wheels to keep up with the speed."

LOL!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
"... ginormous 15.4-inch brakes, and 20-inch-wide wheels to keep up with the speed."

LOL!

More accurately to stop it's bloated weight before it hits something.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Love it. I'm not a huge fan of the Charger body style, but really, what's not to like about a 707HP American rear wheel drive four door sedan? I'm started to take a liking to Fiat. I may buy a Fiat 500 and start wearing Capri pants.

Ford desperately needs a RWD four door. I hope Ford puts the new Mustang platform to good use.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
More accurately to stop it's bloated weight before it hits something.
20 inch wide wheels are for road construction companies that need a fast steamroller.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Love it. I'm not a huge fan of the Charger body style, but really, what's not to like about a 707HP American rear wheel drive four door sedan? I'm started to take a liking to Fiat. I may buy a Fiat 500 and start wearing Capri pants.

Ford desperately needs a RWD four door. I hope Ford puts the new Mustang platform to good use.

I am thinking about contacting Ford to buy the tooling from the Crown Vic.

Back in production, with a Boss motor, can I count you in for one? :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I am thinking about contacting Ford to buy the tooling from the Crown Vic.

Back in production, with a Boss motor, can I count you in for one? :biggrin

Oh yeah. Long live the Panther.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...what's not to like about a 707HP American rear wheel drive four door sedan?

'Zackly -

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I can see police insisting that they need this. Instead of better comms, coordination, and training, training, training. Your tax dollars at work.

BTW, "...not a huge fan of the Charger body style." That is very generous for one of the ugliest sedans in history. :)

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I can see police insisting that they need this. Instead of better comms, coordination, and training, training, training. Your tax dollars at work.

BTW, "...not a huge fan of the Charger body style." That is very generous for one of the ugliest sedans in history. :)

I don't think it is so bad, but to call it a Charger is an abomination. As a collector and fan of classic Dodge Charger musclecars, I was quite upset when they reincarnated the name for a 4-door. I wish they had taken the approach that they did later with the Challenger. Then again, it seems that Dodge may have made the smart call- they have done well with that model.

Ultimately though, I agree wholeheartedly with Sinovac- hard to gripe about that option existing at the dealerships. It would sure be a fun family cruiser. Too bad they don't come in AWD. I would take one, for sure (SD winters).

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Interesting - Dodge plan for dealer allocation of Hellcat, in an attempt to get them off the floor and on the road.

Automotive News
September 9, 2014 - 8:00 am ET

DETROIT -- Dodge will open dealer ordering for its new 707-hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat today, but the brand is changing its normal allocation methods to make sure the high-powered coupe gets into the hands of waiting enthusiasts.

Dodge will base Hellcat dealer allocation on the total number of Dodge vehicles a dealer has sold within the last 180 days, including everything from Dart to Durango to Viper, brand head Tim Kuniskis said.

In December, a second allocation calculation will be made based on the previous 90-days’ sales performance, as well as a traditional 30-day inventory turn.

The dealer allocation for the Challenger Hellcat rewards the dealers “that are selling the Dodge brand,” Kuniskis said. “You sell a lot of Darts for me, Journeys for me, Durangos for me, I’m going to give you the rights to this one, too, because this is a halo of the brand.”

After the initial allocation, Dodge will also begin to measure the Hellcat’s days-on-lot and use it as a factor to determine the number of Challenger SRT Hellcats a dealer will get, Kuniskis said.

The longer a Hellcat sits without being sold -- as it might if it were to have a $10,000 or $20,000 market adjustment on it -- relative to those on other dealer lots, the fewer future Hellcat vehicles a dealer will receive, the Dodge brand boss explained.

“It’s going to be a nightmare, but I think it’s the right thing to do,” Kuniskis said, adding that he has no issue with market pricing, and said dealers have a right to do so.

Most powerful

The 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat is due in Chrysler dealerships in the third quarter. The supercharged V-8 is the most powerful production car ever built by Chrysler, and has 7 more horsepower than the $400,000 Lamborghini Aventador.

“If you want to market-adjust the car, that’s your right. But if your days-on-lot goes above what the other guys that are selling them at MSRP is, they will end up earning the allocation because their days-on-lot will be lower. They’re turning the inventory,” Kuniskis said. “Some dealers are going to have heartburn with that.”

But, he said, “I want this car out in the marketplace so that somebody is sharing it with 50 of their friends and elevating the brand. That’s what I want; not sitting in your showroom with a rope around it. I want people driving these cars, talking about them, revving the engine and having everybody go ‘I want one of those.’ That’s why you build a halo car.”

Kuniskis said Dodge “worked hard” to price the Challenger SRT Hellcat at what he called an attainable $60,990, including shipping, “but that all goes out the window if this car ends up with $20,000 market adjustments on it.”

Last edited: