Do most of us think the standard radio was adequate?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Is it just me, or do most of us want just the standard radio? Are we just more "into" cars than the usual buyer who is interested in the powerful stereo, or were dealers loading up on options in an attempt to make more profit?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I wanted the standard radio (more open cockpit feel, better rearward vision and it allows you to see that wonderful supercharger pulley!) and I was lucky to find a car in the color I wanted without the Mcintosh radio.

Virtually every other car I saw was optioned to the max.

Eric

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I would never order a $4000 (or whatever it was) radio. I don't think most people in their right minds would, especially in a sports car. But when you're paying a set price, above MSRP in my case, you just decide whether the car is worth that price to you. I didn't break down the options, I just decided that the car was worth the money regardless of options. And I have no regrets. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would bet less than 50% want the upgraded stereo. Maybe only 20%. I doesn't make any sense in a car like the GT. However since most cars are ordered without a specific buyer in mind and the dealer knows he can sell the car, it is ordered with all of the options to maximize the profits. I think Ford priced the base car low, knowing that most cars will be sold with all of the over priced options. Thus raising its average sale price to the dealers to near the top. This allows the press to write about how the price for the car is so low for the performance one gets, but almost know one can get a car without any options, but Centerpunch!

BlackICE

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I didn't get a choice - I have the standard equipment (no sub woofer) and it's more than adequate. The fact that the sub woofer seems to detract from the look of the cabin, I'm more than happy not to have it.

I am not puff daddy, so I don't really require a thumping bass as I drive along! I also happen to own a recording studio, so have a vague idea of how music should sound - but don't really need high quality audio in the GT. In my other cars yes, but not the GT.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The radio upgrade is very confusing to me.

The profile of the owner is a male in his early 50 to 60's. Why would we want to spend 4k for a radio that looks like it cost 29.95 at radio shack, doesnt have the ability to play cd.s, or receive ipod hook ups, and comes with a sub woofer that besides the seats may be the single largest element in an already tight cockpit.

If the argument is that the money isn't significant when considering the price of the car, then for the thousands of dollars that we are forced to pay for this antiquated system, then at least give us some 21st century technology, not something that isn't as good as what I put in my first volkswagen in the 70's

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No choice here either, the funny part, granted I have only been able to drive 450 miles, I have only turned it on once, just to see if it worked. The engine sound is too good to be distracted by music.........

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
pump up the bass

Don't get it here. I like the thing. And, you do can hook up an aux source aswell. In Miami you need something bassy to play 103.5FM... And, what's so great about a spinning supercharger pulley with a belt over it ... ?
Yes it's pricey. Yes it doesn't compare to my 7.1 surround system in the beamer, (the bass is also not soo dry and thumpy) but I think I wouldn't want to miss it. Part of the whole package of American Supercar for me. Maybe I am too european, and not yet 50-60, but I speak for it..

stefan

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
It's an overly Expensive Clock

.... which is the key feature I use it for. :bored The engine sound is better than anything on the local radio stations. If I could plug the iPOD in - that would be a different story..... :thumbsup

Johnny Speed

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Indiana
I must be in the minority here, but my love for music equals that of cars. The GT is a "back to the future" experience. At the time GT40s were dominating the racing scene, the McIntosh was leading the audio scene. The McIntosh is an anamoly today. It's classic, beautiful illuminated glass face plate is like the GT, a work of art. No one builds a better amplifier section than McIntosh. The McIntosh is to my knowledge, the lone American audio company left (Binghamton, NY), essentially hand building the highest quality audo products available. When you consider that your GT is parked the upwards of 95% of the time, it is nice to open the doors and play great music while detailing the GT. Both the McIntosh and GT are true to their roots. Ford's selection of the Mac option was to give the GT owner top shelf, best of the best materials and options. The GT and Mac represent classic american crafted products that survived the 1960s and into the 21st century.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Well said, Johnny, but a lot of us don't think a speaker should take center stage in the cabin of so glorious a car.

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Didn't really like the big speaker in the cars I looked at, but I wanted mine to have all the options and I wasn't going to wait forever to find one spec'd as I wanted but with only the basic radio.

Paying what we did for the car I really wasn't worried about the cost of the Mac, the whole package was expensive so whatever. I won't have mine till next Thursday so I can't critique the quality, but I would guess you can use one of those IPod to FM converters to play your IPod over the MacIntosh, can't you?

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I love the upgraded sound system! It sounds so good and is very crisp sounding. If I would do it over again I would order the system again. I am 31 so I am not that young but I love a good system.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I am with Kirby. I think the sub woofer looks out of place. I will remove mine after I buy a replacement radio for the car.

BlackICE

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
BlackICE said:
I am with Kirby. I think the sub woofer looks out of place. I will remove mine after I buy a replacement radio for the car.

BlackICE

What about the middle console that houses the sub? You're going to have to replace that piece or else there will be no visual change, yes?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I already bought the replacement part to replace where the sub goes. That was part of my purchase agreement with the dealer. But note the the Mac radio only has line out and the amps are behind the sub for all of the speakers. So I will have to buy a radio with integrate amps.

BlackICE

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
AUX in active, and all are happier

MAD IN NC said:
If I could plug the iPOD in - that would be a different story..... :thumbsup
Doesn't it shift to AUX and isn't there a aux in cable somewhewre at the back, that can go as an Ipod input aswell ? I haven't opend up the radio slot, but mine shifts to Aux and I hear silence. As nothing is connected. But I suspect, somewhere there is a cable left, hungry to be discovered...Although it says in the owners guide :'The AUX mode is inoperative for this application' means nothing more than it is not wired ex factory; - to me.. :wink

Jay, go have a look, and then design a kick ass Ipod holder. :banana Going via FM with the Ipod is not the same quality..

stefan

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I was able to spec my car out. The guys at the BlueOval forum advised that cars being spec'd with standard radio where being pulled off the production schedule due to an issue with the vendor. They recommended to order the Mac radio which I did. No regrets. Hell, when you weigh in at 305lbs you really don't get your panties in a bunch over a sub woofer :cheers :banana
Although that storage space would have been just right for a couple of those great Cuban sandwiches. :rofl Hey Stefan and Chris, you are bring some to Wixsom, aren't you?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
californiacuda said:
The radio upgrade is very confusing to me. .....Why would we want to spend 4k for a radio that looks like it cost 29.95 at radio shack, doesnt have the ability to play cd.s, or receive ipod hook ups.....

It does play a CD. See, not so bad after all :biggrin Almost a 21st century system.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
ya, for 4k there's no way anything could be purchased that would even come close