Do I need to panic???

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I've owned my GT for nearly 4 years now and never had an issue (touch wood)

It hear of guys selling their GT's through fear of parts availability, they say too many parts are now not available and the situation is getting scary as things continue to go wrong and sourcing parts is more grief than its worth.

Should I be scared???

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I thought that on one of the DVD's that Rick Titus did for Ford he said that the parts will be availible for 15 years... Is that not true

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I wouldn't be too worried since Ford part are rather common. You can always upgrade to some GT40 bits :)

Took me a friggin YEAR to just find head gaskets for my F40. F'ers dont make them anymore.

The guys who own the real vintage cars like 69 & earlier get lots of bits custom made for their cars. I've been to the shop in Italy where old ex Ferrari employees make perfect replicas for 50s & 60s cars.

Last edited:

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I wouldn't be too worried since Ford part are rather common. You can always upgrade to some GT40 bits :)

Took me a friggin YEAR to just find head gaskets for my F40. F'ers dont make them anymore.

The guys who won the real vintage cars like 69 & earlier get lots of bits custom made for their cars. I've been to the shop in Italy where old ex Ferrari employees make perfect replicas for 50s & 60s cars.

Well we're at a bit of a mid way point with our cars right now

They're not old enough for remanufactured parts and still new enough to get some.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Every racer knows its good to have spares :)

Actually I'm thinking of starting a business repairing printed circuit boards for exotics since I had to fix the ones on my Ferraris. They just fall apart after a few years :(

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Most of the panic related to parts availability comes from the skyrocketing price of replacement parts. As long as guys keep crashing the cars frequently, that's going to be a problem. I don't have a good solution for that except recommending that everyone try as hard as possible to not crash :lol And of course the hoarding that goes on when parts get reasonably priced. Neither Ford or anyone else can rationally affect the supply and demand curve for most of this stuff. There was a while there when the headlights were out of stock because the supplier went out of business during the chaos. Ford ended up having to pay to completely retool the part (which is one of the most complex parts on the car) just to make sure there was stock. There is no way they'll ever recoup the cost of doing that, so clearly they've got some level of commitment to doing what they can to ensure part availability.

The other side of the coin is that there are so many wrecked cars that I know multiple people that have hoards of good take offs from cars relegated to the scrapyard.

Was there a specific part that was causing heartburn amongst people you've talked to?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
sounds like I may stock up on headlights. Luckily the engine is common. This is all a good reason to do mods & keep the original bits in storage.

The ideal way to go would be to buy 1 or 2 wrecked cars to have bits to pick from

H

HHGT

I would highly recommend that everyone buy a spare GT, its like money in the bank.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm already thinking of adding a nice black one later to store up in CT or out West

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
No parts causing me concerns but I had heard from an ex owner that gauges and switches are an issue????

Who knows.......There are record numbers of FGT's for sale here in the UK right now.....I never want to sell mine but I have to admit to being a bit scared to use it:facepalm:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Keep 'Em Flying!

Viper,

Next time you go to a big outdoor event and you see an arranged flyover of Spitfire and Hurricane WW2 fighters, it lifts your spirit doesn't it? Makes you feel good that someone cared enough and had the burning desire to rebuild/restore, maintain and FLY (heavy emphasis on FLY) those magnificent 70+ year old aircraft. It's good for the soul just to see them and it's a privilege to fly them.

Well driving a Ford GT is a lot like that. History, race/combat heritage, passion, desire, brilliant victories and heartbreaking defeat all course through the veins of rare and special machines like the Spitfire and GT40/Ford GT. Drive it and enjoy your moment in the sun. Long after you are dead your GT, like that Spitfire, will live on in another custodians hands.

If the 50 year old GT40s can be kept on the road with total production of 134 cars, maintaining the Ford GT will a snap in comparison.

Chip

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Panic if you or a loved one gets pancreatic cancer. This, not so much.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Nicely put !

Viper,

Next time you go to a big outdoor event and you see an arranged flyover of Spitfire and Hurricane WW2 fighters, it lifts your spirit doesn't it? Makes you feel good that someone cared enough and had the burning desire to rebuild/restore, maintain and FLY (heavy emphasis on FLY) those magnificent 70+ year old aircraft. It's good for the soul just to see them and it's a privilege to fly them.

Well driving a Ford GT is a lot like that. History, race/combat heritage, passion, desire, brilliant victories and heartbreaking defeat all course through the veins of rare and special machines like the Spitfire and GT40/Ford GT. Drive it and enjoy your moment in the sun. Long after you are dead your GT, like that Spitfire, will live on in another custodians hands.

If the 50 year old GT40s can be kept on the road with total production of 134 cars, maintaining the Ford GT will a snap in comparison.

Chip

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Panic if you or a loved one gets pancreatic cancer. This, not so much.

Amen.........nicely put

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Viper,

Chip

Chip - it is my understanding that they only built 104 GT-40's....

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
I heard that owners of some Pre 1970 race cars have the original engine & trans in their wharehouse while the race w new replica engines. Makes sense with some rare cars.

When you are dealing w older classic cars you have to change your perspective to that of a caretaker of fine art. If you are not ready to do that maybe you should swap your GT for the latest & greatest bcus parts will only get more rare as time goes by.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Chip - it is my understanding that they only built 104 GT-40's....

Per Ronnie Spain's book "GT40, and Individual History and Race Record", the total number of chassis built were:

Prototypes: GT/101 to 112 = 12
Production: GT40P/1000 to 1086 = 87
Mirage: M.1001 to 1003 = 3
Mark III: GT40 M3/1011 to 1107 = 7
Post Production: GT40P/1108 to 1114 = 7
Alan Mann: AM GT-1 & 2 = 2
Alan Mann: XGT-1 to 3 = 3
J Chassis: J-1 to 12 = 12
Unnumbered chassis: 1

Total = 134

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There isn't anything that can't be custom made. Our GTs will be on the road (& in storage which is a shame) for as long as we are here. Well said Chip!

Ed

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Yes they'll be on the road but we may have to swap some lower tech parts

Headlights for instance, when they are gone they are gone, we'll have to install some GT40 style headlights which is fine w me.

I'm more concerned w having to replace some aluminum body parts or the aluminum frame. Even the frame could be replaced w a racing style aluminum tub but that wont be cheap. Body would probably have to be replaced w fglass or carbon fiber if cf prices keep dropping.

btw Lambo is working w Boeing I think on creating less expensive ways to make cf bits

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Per Ronnie Spain's book "GT40, and Individual History and Race Record", the total number of chassis built were 134

Freddy,

Never question El Moderator!!

I have every bloody book about GT40s I'm aware of and they don't all agree. Depending upon what you consider to be a real original GT40 the numbers would be different, but the generally agreed upon # is 134. Ronnie Spain is the worlds foremost authority on original 1960s Ford GTs. Cheers.

Chip