DIY oil change - any tips?

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
I enjoy working on cars and have a hoist with all the tools. Does anyone else change their own oil? Any step by step pics or tips?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are extensive old posts on this including where to get oil and filters. Please do a search.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The instruction from the manual are posted in the picture section. Search under DBK's posting

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I enjoy working on cars and have a hoist with all the tools. Does anyone else change their own oil? Any step by step pics or tips?

As the gentlemen above suggested, a "search" will bring up the step X step instantly.

JUST BE SURE TO REMEMBER TO "PRIME" THE SYSTEM B4U START THE ENGINE!!!! 'Done by pressing the accelerator to the floor ...holding it there ('disables the "start" function)...and turning the engine over for 20 seconds or so. THEN take your foot off the throttle pedal and start as usual.

Ripper 02

Permanent Vacation
Aug 16, 2006
Texas
JUST BE SURE TO REMEMBER TO "PRIME" THE SYSTEM B4U START THE ENGINE!!!! 'Done by pressing the accelerator to the floor ...holding it there ('disables the "start" function)...and turning the engine over for 20 seconds or so. THEN take your foot off the throttle pedal and start as usual.

Just something to add to this.....

Make sure to turn the ignition to the "ON" position before doing this....

trackmeister

GT Owner
Jan 19, 2007
The instruction from the manual are posted in the picture section. Search under DBK's posting

Thanks guys. I did initially search "oil change" and didn't find the info I needed but maybe my search skills aren't up to par :wink I will look for DBK's photos. Great tip about cranking over the engine, I had no idea this feature was available.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Make sure you have ft/lb and in/lb torque wrenches and torque every bolt to spec.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Great tip about cranking over the engine, I had no idea this feature was available.

Neither did I until I started reading posts on this forum!:biggrin ('Hadn't read my service manual at that time. 'STILL haven't as a matter of fact.)

You'll find there are a lot of folks here who pbly know as much or more about these GT's than the factory ever did!:rofl

If you don't find said posts, PM me, give me your "FAX" number, and I'll send you the factory blurbs in the 'manual.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Here's a couple of tips that aren't in the manual.
-Drain all the oil from the (3) plug locations

-Place a bunch of wadded paper towels and a plastic grocery bag under the oil filter housing.

- unscrew the oil filter cap and slide back the cap and old filter. Once it's clear from the housing bring up the bag form underneath and put the whole cap/ old filter in the bag to get it out with out dripping all over.

- I use a hand vac pump to extract all of the old oil that is sitting in the bottom of the filter housing.

- Reinstall the 3 drain plugs and put the oil filter cover on with out the element inside.

- Hold the pedal to the floor ( so the engine won't start) and turn over the engine for 5 to 8 seconds. This pumps any additional old oil out of the system. When you remove the oil filter can you will find another 4 to 6 oz of old oil that needs to be sucked out. You can fold and flatten a paper towel and slide it in the very bottom of the filter housing to wick out the remaining old oil that you can't get out with the vac pump.

- You will also take out the 3 drain plug for a final draining. The step above helps you eliminate about 10 or more oz. of old oil that would other wise stay in the system.

- I have another dry sump vehicle that recommends this process to eliminate the old oil. It has the same peg the throttle to eliminate start up. Some maybe concerned about this process but there is enough oil film to protect the engine for the few seconds it turning over.

I've done this procedure twice. The only thing I noted was it took a little longer to prime the system on the second oil change. But every thing came up to pressure nicely..

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Never thought of purging that extra oil out!!!!!

'Pretty savy idea, Stormy.:thumbsup

( I don't know how critical the extra 5 ounces are, but...)

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
'Never thought of purging that extra oil out!!!!!

'Pretty savy idea, Stormy.:thumbsup

( I don't know how critical the extra 5 ounces are, but...)

It's about 5 oz just out of the filter housing. I didn't try to capture what come out of the to engine drain plugs but it has to be at least an addotional 5oz for a total of 10 oz of old oil?? I'm a little anal about getting all of the old stuff out !!!:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's about 5 oz just out of the filter housing. I didn't try to capture what come out of the to engine drain plugs but it has to be at least an addotional 5oz for a total of 10 oz of old oil?? I'm a little anal about getting all of the old stuff out !!!:biggrin

Sure. 'Understand completely. I admire your determination!!!! I do! :cheers

My thinking is just that the oil filter & the magnetic 'plugs ought to make short work of whatever may be in that extra 10ozs (or whatever) of old oil. And you have to remember there's a lotta "old oil" just sittin' around in the 'gallies etc., etc., that you'll never be able to remove as well. ( And 10 ozs in a 12.5 qt synthetic system amounts to a drop in the bucket to a lazy guy like me. :slap )

I guess it's a question of when/where a guy's willing to quit.

But, I STILL like the idea! It's darn clever. My hat (if I were wearing one) is off to you, Sir! :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sure. 'Understand completely. I admire your determination!!!! I do! :cheers

My thinking is just that the oil filter & the magnetic 'plugs ought to make short work of whatever may be in that extra 10ozs (or whatever) of old oil. And you have to remember there's a lotta "old oil" just sittin' around in the 'gallies etc., etc., that you'll never be able to remove as well. ( And 10 ozs in a 12.5 qt synthetic system amounts to a drop in the bucket to a lazy guy like me. :slap )

I guess it's a question of when/where a guy's willing to quit.

But, I STILL like the idea! It's darn clever. My hat (if I were wearing one) is off to you, Sir! :thumbsup

Speaking of 12.5 qts. I only get out about 9.5 to 10 quarts. So I guess there's 2.5 to 3 quarts of old blood still floating around??

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Speaking of 12.5 qts. I only get out about 9.5 to 10 quarts. So I guess there's 2.5 to 3 quarts of old blood still floating around??

I don't know, Stormy. I read someplace the GT's had a 12.5 qt capacity.
'Haven't looked at the service manual yet 'cause I'm still a ways away from the 1st oil change.

(DON'T SAY IT!!!!!!!)

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

'Haven't looked at the service manual yet 'cause I'm still a ways away from the 1st oil change.

Page 174 of the Owner's Guide states the engine oil capacity (with filter change) is 9.5 quarts.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Page 174 of the Owner's Guide states the engine oil capacity (with filter change) is 9.5 quarts.

Now I don't have to look it up at all! Thanks!:thumbsup

But anyway, 9.5, 12.5, or anywhere in between, my thought is the same as far as the impact of the 5-10 ounces to me. I'm just too darn lazy to mess with it.:frown

(But, you never know. When the time comes, I may swing over to Stormy's camp!)

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Just something to add to this.....

Make sure to turn the ignition to the "ON" position before doing this....

Good advise as I put my pedal to the floor FIRST and then turned the ignition on and the damn thing started at full throttle:eek Luckily it wasn't an oil change situation!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Now I don't have to look it up at all! Thanks!:thumbsup

But anyway, 9.5, 12.5, or anywhere in between, my thought is the same as far as the impact of the 5-10 ounces to me. I'm just too darn lazy to mess with it.:frown

(But, you never know. When the time comes, I may swing over to Stormy's camp!)

Come on down !! By the time you get here you'll be ready for an Oil Change...:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Come on down !! By the time you get here you'll be ready for an Oil Change...:biggrin

No, no, no! I ment I'd "swing over to your camp" regarding emptying those extra ounces!

('Wise acre!!!!!!:rofl )

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho

(DON'T SAY IT!!!!!!!)

I'm really tempted Larry. :rofl